Maternal instinct

cec1

Senior Insider
For understanding of those not presently on the island . . . traffic currently is diverted at the St. Jean gas station to go past the stadium and past the salt pond & Le Diamant restaurant, reconnecting to the main roadway near entrance to Eden Rock. As I was diverted in this way today, about 4:30 — nearly peak rush hour — traffic came to a halt, with one vehicle in front of me. At first I couldn’t see what was going on, but it was a long enough delay that I got out of the car to see what was causing the backup.

LOL . . . in the middle of the road was a chicken, shepherding her baby chicks — one by one — across the road from under some bushes at the edge of the pond. The chicks were among the smallest that you can imagine . . . and each was very timid & wouldn’t move from the shrubbery ‘til “Mom” went over & persuaded each one, individually, to follow across the road! There were four of them, & traffic was at a standstill for 15 minutes. When mother hen had all four chicks gathered near the wall of Le Diamant, they took off — closely gathered together — wandering toward some open space, & the evening rush hour resumed!

A lovely vignette!

Lots of turtles and they too can stop traffic while crossing a road.

Dennis, the narrative of your story today is delightful.

Awe. That’s my kind of traffic jam. And makes me think of my favorite car on the island... F0FDF79F-0988-4DC7-8B8F-6655C9F06D2C.jpg

Attachments

• F0FDF79F-0988-4DC7-8B8F-6655C9F06D2C.jpg
    F0FDF79F-0988-4DC7-8B8F-6655C9F06D2C.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 404
I have taken photos of Joseph’s last few chicken-mobiles! Quite the unique hobbyist.