Questions regarding departure on United from SXM

lvbookworm

SBH Insider
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand the procedure returning home through SXM and offer some advice. We arrive on Saint Barth Commuter at 12:15, and depart on United at 3:10 on a Saturday.

1. Does United allow you to use mobile boarding passes (or those you print ahead of time)? Or do they need to verify passports, etc. in-person before issuing the boarding pass?
2. If we don't have the boarding passes ahead of time, is there a United desk in the arrivals area to do this? Or will we have to go back out to the ticket counter to get them?

We're trying to figure out if it's worth it to do carry-on only for our return home (which could be difficult depending on shopping bargains). I think we have plenty of time at SXM, but I'd prefer not to endure the frustration of standing in multiple lines. Plus, our connection in Newark is only 90 minutes and I'm concerned that will be tight.

Thoughts?

Speaking generally on the basis of prior input from others, I would say that you shouldn’t rely on mobile boarding passes. Experience of various posters has seen “spotty” success in using them. On the other hand, you should be able to go online while still on SBH & print your boarding passes. If you don’t have the capacity to do so at your villa, then simply go into the Wimco office across from the airport where there are facilities to do so — no questions asked (i.e., you don’t have to be a Wimco client).

Thanks - I did see a previous post referencing Wimco so we will definitely try that. I was concerned about having to show our passports because our flight isn't a return portion of a round-trip. We fly down on Jet Blue, so I was concerned United would want to verify who we are before issuing the passes.

I suspect that you’ll have to enter passport info in order to get the boarding passes, but my experience is that it’s an easy couple of steps in the process.

Keep in mind that while SXM is no longer operating out of tents, it is still operating out of temporary facilities in the terminal building. Set your expectations low. The chances of a mobile boarding pass working is very, very low. They didn't work prior to Irma. As mentioned by Dennis, you may be able to print out a paper boarding pass at the WIMCO office, but expect that you will still have to exit the SXM arrival area, re-enter the departure area from outside of security, and go through the full check-in process.

Until someone with recent experience speaks up and says differently, assume that the above is what you will experience.

For EWR, if you've got Global Entry then that will help. If not, look at the Mobile Passport App. If you have checked bags then you will still have to wait for them.

For EWR, if you've got Global Entry then that will help. If not, look at the Mobile Passport App. If you have checked bags then you will still have to wait for them.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Mobile Passport App. My husband has Global Entry, but I don't.