Eat, lounge, eat, repeat

Laubern75

SBH Member
Hi, all! I have a few questions.

If we plan to eat lunch and swim at any of the beach restaurants--L'il Rock, Nikki, Pearl or Shellona--should we reserve lounges/umbrellas when we book a table? How much do lounges rent for and do they have to be reserved for a specific time, say before lunch or after? How far in advance should we book lunch and dinner for early December?

Thanks a lot! This forum is such a friendly and in-depth resource.

I can't speak to renting lounges/umbrellas, as I don't do that.

Early December should be a quiet period, after the Thanksgiving holiday, and before things start to get crazy in the last half of December. Previous day or same-day reservations should be fine. However, if you have a special occasion where you want to dine at a specific special place, then book it earlier. Occasionally restaurants have been closed for a private event, and it's better to know that sooner than later.

We too are happy to spread our towels out on each of those ‘restaurant beaches; dine and swim,so don’t know about reserving chaises etc.

I agree with NancySC….book everything before you go and then change if necessary when you are on the island. By booking ahead you are getting that "favorite" restaurant on the night that you desire plus if you book ahead then you have a little bit of extra time on the island to enjoy doing whatever vs making a reservation. Also, ref renting lounge chairs....every villa that we have rented has had beach chairs available....we use those on the beach....

Yes, if you want loungers, you should reserve them when you book your lunch. The hotels do give lounger preferences to their guests, but most are not full in early December and it's never been a problem for us to get them. Most places charge $30 to $50 per chair, but if you're renting your villa through an agency, check to see if they have a relationship with a hotel or two where you can get free chairs...St. Barths Properties does this and others may as well. Nikki charges more than the norm for chairs...I can't remember what they quoted us, but it was enough to make us not get them there. When you get closer to your travel time, download the Le News app and watch it for hotels advertising specials...they usually include lunch, chairs and maybe a short spa treatment at a discounted price. Most of the time we just take our beach chairs from the villa and sit near the restaurant...you can still eat lunch and then grab drinks at their bar. My only lounger must-do is Guanahani and I'm hoping I will love it just as much when they reopen. If Shellona is a definite on your list, check the cruise ship schedule when you get close to your trip as it can be very crowded when one is in port. If you are using an agency, take advantage of their concierge and let them book your reservations. Have a great trip!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Very helpful. And thanks Tiffany for the lounger info—that’s pricy! It’s really the umbrella I’m after. Didn’t think our villa would supply one and we’re not checking luggage so I can’t bring one of those weighted beach umbrellas.

Ask your villa agency if an umbrella is provided. They may get you one if the villa doesn’t have it.

Also pretty sure you can rent an umbrella (or buy one) at the Hookipa Surf Shop in St. Jean. They also rent chairs and snorkel gear.

Rent chairs and an umbrella...you are free to sit on any beach you want while enjoying any restaurant on the beach nearby...return to your chair for nice chill in the sand....with after lunch aperitif in hand...

Our villa has beach chairs and umbrella which we leave in the Mini Cooper. However we also rent chairs and umbrella for the week from Jean Michele next to Pearl. St. Jean is our go to space and when we lunch at other beaches just take the chairs from the car. Enjoy just reading these posts bring back so much memories and remind me of the wonder memories still to come.

Ask your villa agency if an umbrella is provided. They may get you one if the villa doesn’t have it.

Also pretty sure you can rent an umbrella (or buy one) at the Hookipa Surf Shop in St. Jean. They also rent chairs and snorkel gear.

With the villa umbrella missing, we stopped at Hookipa for a rental, but all they had were umbrellas for purchase. As I recall it was about 15 euros, but it was a bit flimsy and Gouverneurs winds turned it inside out the first day. Another forum member mentioned a portable umbrella that breaks down and fits in a suitcase. Bought it and used it last year. Worked like a charm.

Thought of that umbrella you mentioned on the forum but I’m only taking a carry-on, so there’ll be no place to pack it. I’ll rent if our villa doesn’t have a beach umbrella

However we also rent chairs and umbrella for the week from Jean Michele next to Pearl.

We rented from Jean Michele a couple of times in February when Pearl was booked. A great option at a VERY reasonable price! I never even thought about reserving from them in advance - just assumed it was a first come/first served arrangement. Great tip!

You can take plastic tent pegs (lightweight) and plastic cording and use those to tie down the umbrella. It works well in almost any wind - once you get the hang of "attaching the cord" and getting the pegs in the sand at the right angle. If the villa doesn't have an umbrella they will get one for you.