Medjet Assist

debd

Senior Insider
Not sure if this topic belongs on the main forum or somewhere else, but I'll start here, and leave it to the moderators to move it, if it belongs somewhere else?

We're about to embark on an Asia trip (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia). And, once again, we are debating the merits of Medjet. We have had it in the past for other trips, and knowing we will be on SBH each year, but have let it lapse.

I just got off the phone with Medjet, and what I understand, as to how to works, is that they provide hospital to (home) hospital transportation, including the coordination of that process. So, if I understood correctly, if one of us is hospitalized, in one of these countries, and if we need continued care, and if we are stable enough to make the trip, and if the receiving hospital will take us, then Medjet will arrange to get (both of) us to our home hospital.

Interested in others' opinions and/or experiences on this topic.

Need to brush up on my specific thread searching skills. As of now, those skills are seriously in absentia. Thanks again, John.

I let our MedJet lapse. I am headed to China for 3 weeks. I bought trip insurance. Evacuation came with the trip insurance. So I did not re-up my MedJet.

I let our MedJet lapse. I am headed to China for 3 weeks. I bought trip insurance. Evacuation came with the trip insurance. So I did not re-up my MedJet.

Charles, there is evacuation insurance and evacuation insurance. I would read the little print just to be sure. :nerd:

The age restrictions are related to both age and current health. If you are over 75, you are required to fill out a medical form,and you must also have your Doctor fill out a form. If you qualify, there is a different fee schedule that scales up based on length of stay. The big difference between Medjet and most off the other carriers is that they guarantee to transport you to your hospital of choice [ in your town ], rather than the nearest hospital that can treat you. That peace of mind is worth everything.

See Toni's post. https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/98017-My-Medjet-experience

Phil

Many of the trip/ evacuation insurance plan companies have a lot of small print with lots of reasons not to fulfill the needs of an ill person abroad. From what we read and understand, Medjet delivers on their ‘promise’ of getting’you’ home to be medically taken care of. The post JEK refers to is ‘living proof’ of this.

The age restrictions are related to both age and current health. If you are over 75, you are required to fill out a medical form,and you must also have your Doctor fill out a form. If you qualify, there is a different fee schedule that scales up based on length of stay. The big difference between Medjet and most off the other carriers is that they guarantee to transport you to your hospital of choice [ in your town ], rather than the nearest hospital that can treat you. That peace of mind is worth everything.

See Toni's post. https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/98017-My-Medjet-experience

Phil

I found Toni's accounting to be very informative. We have been Medjet folks for around 5 years. What I found interesting about Toni's experience was having to wait to make sure her "local Doctor" would receive her back home. I find this a little tricky as if we were ever in a dire way we would not want to return home to Nantucket for medical assistance but to Boston where we don't actually have personal Dr.'s Does anyone know how this gets dialed in? What if something happened to both of us and there were not anyone available to speak of our wishes to get to Boston? Any idea how those details are dealt with?

This isn't to downplay this thread. Stress is cited to be the leading cause of early or sudden death. It's similar to the chicken or the egg question. We would not travel anywhere if it was going to bring us additional worry. Compared to the majority of the world I am so blessed to be able to enjoy this site, St. Barts, and traveling to other parts of the world.

I would get my local doctor on board with ALL my travel plans and have him/her introduce me to a Boston practice that would at least be familiar with your medical background.

I found Toni's accounting to be very informative. We have been Medjet folks for around 5 years. What I found interesting about Toni's experience was having to wait to make sure her "local Doctor" would receive her back home. I find this a little tricky as if we were ever in a dire way we would not want to return home to Nantucket for medical assistance but to Boston where we don't actually have personal Dr.'s Does anyone know how this gets dialed in? What if something happened to both of us and there were not anyone available to speak of our wishes to get to Boston? Any idea how those details are dealt with?

I think this is something to discuss directly with MedJet. I have called them several times with questions and always received prompt, accurate reply's. We just re-upped, and I spoke with them a couple of times to clarify our situation and get a price quote. They were very helpful, and so far, easy to deal with.

Phil

I understand Kim’s questions and I’ll try to clarify.

I don’t think there was really any waiting once they spoke to the doctor in Italy. They told Gary that they would immediately start assembling a team. However, since the deal is that they will transport you from hospital to hospital, they need to know what hospital you are going to. They also wanted to know if my doctor would be direct admitting me or if I would be going in through the emergency department.

As far as what would happen if you were incapacitated, I suppose that’s something that we would all need to think about. You do have a medjet card and luggage tag, but I guess it would be important for someone to know that you have the coverage and what your wishes would be. It’s my understanding that they would transport you to whatever hospital you want, whether it is near your home or somewhere else where you would want to receive treatment.

I don’t think there was really any waiting once they spoke to the doctor in Italy. They told Gary that they would immediately start assembling a team. However, since the deal is that they will transport you from hospital to hospital, they need to know what hospital you are going to. They also wanted to know if my doctor would be direct admitting me or if I would be going in through the emergency department.

As far as what would happen if you were incapacitated, I suppose that’s something that we would all need to think about. You do have a medjet card and luggage tag, but I guess it would be important for someone to know that you have the coverage and what your wishes would be. It’s my understanding that they would transport you to whatever hospital you want, whether it is near your home or somewhere else where you would want to receive treatment.

Toni, as sad as I was to hear about what happened to you, I very much appreciated the report of your first hand experience.

As Amy mentioned, the Medjet folks are very happy to help you with any and all questions. One of my call backs was to see if we would both be transported if one of use needed to avail the services. The answer was "yes." If one is too ill to be transported, then transport is not to be expected. The program isn't a slam dunk (yes, I too noted the required confirmation process on the receiving end), but, like most insurance, if you need it, it's not a bad thing to have it. Just the coordination alone of all the services to get from point a to point b, as in Toni's experience...... Then again, it is "hospital to hospital" (not home), and only if you need continued hospital care.

Thanks for this Toni. The key is to stay safe and hope that if anything negative happens you have a person around you that has fix it skills who thinks quickly. I hope you are on the mend!

Thanks for this Toni. The key is to stay safe and hope that if anything negative happens you have a person around you that has fix it skills who thinks quickly. I hope you are on the mend!

Totally agree, Kimberly! “Fix it skills” & quick thinking by someone on your behalf are so important!