Fish Corner Now Open For Dinner

KevinS

Senior Insider
Fish Corner.jpg

It should come with instructions on how to get there.

Apparently, if you can't find it then you're not worthy. I can find it, but I've never dined there. Lunch in the hallway never appealed, but there are many very good reports on it.

Cheryl and I visited it last May. Packed and claustrophobic. Decided not to eat there however heard nothing but wonderful concerning the food.

. . . heard nothing but wonderful concerning the food.

Confirming this impression! Primarily a “fish” menu, so it’s not recommended to anyone who dislikes or is ambivalent about seafood. However, if you like Langouste, shrimp, & daily “local catch,” the fare is mouthwateringly good!

“Claustrophobic?” A valid comment . . . a small space, for sure — particularly if you sit inside, where people at an adjacent table easily can become close friends by the end of a meal.

Pour moi, it’s an unpretentious, simple, secluded, small venue with refined preparation & presentation of fresh seafood . . . eager, very nice staff & hosts . . . fair prices. Refreshing, with genuine bistro ​ambiance.

Confirming this impression! Primarily a “fish” menu, so it’s not recommended to anyone who dislikes or is ambivalent about seafood. However, if you like Langouste, shrimp, & daily “local catch,” the fare is mouthwateringly good!

“Claustrophobic?” A valid comment . . . a small space, for sure — particularly if you sit inside, where people at an adjacent table easily can become close friends by the end of a meal.

Pour moi, it’s an unpretentious, simple, secluded, small venue with refined preparation & presentation of fresh seafood . . . eager, very nice staff & hosts . . . fair prices. Refreshing, with genuine bistro ​ambiance.

They should look for another location. Menu sounds great, but restaurant much too small for me.

I understand, Lance . . . and you're clearly among a contingent, of notable size, that feels the same way.

I suspect, however, that the rent in that location is pretty low, relatively speaking for SBH, because of the odd location and small space . . . and, with a "full house" most of the time, I would guess that the owner (son of the proprietor at Black Ginger, I believe -- he formerly was our neighbor at The Normandie) is doing well, financially, and may be content to hold down expenses while business booms. A good business model, I think. Perhaps "less is more?"

I find the food delicious and like the itimate atmosphere. The Seafood is fresh and well prepared. However, I like seafood very much and probably overlook the shortcomings that others have mentioned as negatives. Ahh, just had a revelation, something that comes to mind is David's Octopus at Sante Fe. Counting down the days, Sunday the 3rd I will be enjoying David's Octopus.

48370270_519879768512601_2778926213689769984_n.jpg

from FishCorner FB.

"Queen snapper" in English. Etelis oculatus. "Gros yeux" or "Oeil de Boeuf" on Saint-Barth.

Blue water snapper. Lives between 100 and 450 meters. Not a reef fish. No known
ciguatera threat.

Great response, Cass! As I thought about Hopper’s message, I wondered how to illustrate “fresh fish & seafood.” Your picture demonstrably illustrates the menu . . . and you’ve appropriately & helpfully addressed the ciguatera threat.

When we were there for the 1st time in May for lunch, I loved it, husband made bad choice, should have chosen what I did, the langouste 'salad.' Inside better >no smoking ! And FC had by the glass or bottle the Petals pale wonderful rose' I love that Amy introduced me to. Will be on island in Dec. & would do lunch again, dinner need more space, but if you're a long timer, it's easy to find ! or if ever bought from Stephane & Bernard.

Aaaaahhhhh . . . Stephane & Bernard in that location! Weren’t they were “a kick!” Nice, very funny guys. And in days before Dolce e Gabbana, etc., they had a pulse on the market . . . fashion sense & tourism appetite. Great memory, Nancy!

I understand, Lance . . . and you're clearly among a contingent, of notable size, that feels the same way.

I suspect, however, that the rent in that location is pretty low, relatively speaking for SBH, because of the odd location and small space . . . and, with a "full house" most of the time, I would guess that the owner (son of the proprietor at Black Ginger, I believe -- he formerly was our neighbor at The Normandie) is doing well, financially, and may be content to hold down expenses while business booms. A good business model, I think. Perhaps "less is more?"
Great post. I think sometimes we selfishly (at least I do) look at a business and how it impacts us and what would be best for us, but for them this could just be what they want and what works best...at least for now. Start with lunch; build up customer base; move on to dinner; then who knows...

Chiming in late but I'm thrilled to hear Fish Corner is now open for dinner. The setting isn't the best, but dinner I think will be better than lunch as it will be a touch cooler as it can get quite warm down that alley. I think FC has some of the best fish dishes on the island. Will be there for dinner the next time we are back. Quality of the food more than makes up for the location.