Flight v. Ferry for Nervous Traveler

I think the Col de la Tourmente was lowered at some point. Does anyone know when and by how much?

I don't remember when but the road was not only lowered but moved closer to the mountain side, away from the approach to the runway, as I recall following an incident where a plane almost ripped the roof off of a truck. I remember years ago, often literally ducking in the car when a plane was overhead, knee-jerk reaction...

I don't remember when but the road was not only lowered but moved closer to the mountain side, away from the approach to the runway, as I recall following an incident where a plane almost ripped the roof off of a truck. I remember years ago, often literally ducking in the car when a plane was overhead, knee-jerk reaction...

When was the landslide on the road between the Dispensary and La Tourmente, which sent two Gendarmes on a wild ride? My recollection is that work on the road realignment had started before then, but was temporarily halted after the storm, but I don't remember which storm it was.

Did the ferry the first time. 45 minutes of rocking and rolling. By plane 15 minutes of slipping and sliding maybe. Your choice. We love the plane.

First hand experience, my first few trips to St. Bart’s was on the ferry. It was brutal. Not only is driving from the airport long and not a fun experience but the whole ferry with the waves is just really bad if you hit bad weather. We were both scared of flying on a small plane. We started taking win air and now we do San Juan to SBH via tradewind. Which is longer but more enjoyable.

When was the landslide on the road between the Dispensary and La Tourmente, which sent two Gendarmes on a wild ride? My recollection is that work on the road realignment had started before then, but was temporarily halted after the storm, but I don't remember which storm it was.

Was just going to say that. After the landslide.
Wasn’t it after one of the hurricanes in the late 90’s? I was aware because the entry of Les Ilets was moved.

I am a very nervous flyer. One year we decided to take the ferry instead of flying. Never again. It wasn't unbearably rough the day we ferried but between the drive from the airport to the dock, the wait for the ferry and the trip over, we wasted hours. When we fly, we on the island in time for a late lunch.

As others have said, look out the window and take pictures/video. That certainly helps me. Now we fly with our kids and their excitement helps to calm my fears too.

I vote fly. You want to spend as much time on the island as you can!

We also recommend you fly.
It's only scary when you are on the ground watching the plane come in.

We take the ferry (Voyager) and sit outside. We all take dramamine about 30 min beforehand. We've been to St. Barth about 9 times and have only taken the plane twice (on St. Barth's commuter). It is definitely great, more convinient, and quick. However, my husband and mother in law are terrified to fly. So instead of splitting up our group, we all do the ferry option. Hopefully will continue to have a good experience. Yes, it's been rough a few times. But if you keep your eye focused on land (as much as possible) and sit outside, it's a nice experience as well :) With that being said, if it was up to me, i'd take the plane just because it gets you to paradise sooooo much faster!

Also a wheel of an incoming plane hit one of our beloved Forum member’s head and fortunately all was well.

It's been since 2001 that the last plane full of tourists heading to St Barts crashed into the hillside killing all 19 on board and one on the ground.
There had been thousands of flights prior an since so the odds are very good that you be OK, so relax.

As the jumpmaster said when we were training in ROTC, "there have been 30,000 jumps here and only one fatality....but we're just about due for one".

I think you two just convinced her to take the ferry :thinking1:

It's been since 2001 that the last plane full of tourists heading to St Barts crashed into the hillside killing all 19 on board and one on the ground.
There had been thousands of flights prior an since so the odds are very good that you be OK, so relax.

As the jumpmaster said when we were training in ROTC, "there have been 30,000 jumps here and only one fatality....but we're just about due for one".

human error

Really? Come on now!

Try to Think before hitting send or on this forum hitting POST QUICK REPLY.