Flight v. Ferry for Nervous Traveler

celesteA

Hello!
So my husband John & I have decided to visit St. Bart's again without children just one more time before we decide to introduce them to the island!....we are visiting in June (same time we went this year--we loved it!) as it works better for my husband's work schedule....The question this time around is: flight or ferry? Background: we took the ferry last time...overall, it was fine but I'm a nervous nelly with everything so I managed to find something to feel anxious about regardless...this time, we are working with a new concierge company who has been great so far (Sibarth) and they are insistent upon flying as it is faster, etc. Now if there are any of you reading this who share my fear of flying (& fear of most everything that isn't on the solid ground), which do you prefer? Please share honest experiences...I'm really trying to weigh the two options...I know the flight will be more convenient, etc. and it's perhaps a matter of feeling miserable for 45 min or 15 but the descriptions I have read online in other places about flying talk about needing a change of underwear because it's that bad or people nearly having heart attacks so I'm not sure how much of that is exaggerated or not and I find I trust this group much more...Many thanks in advance!!!
Best,
Celeste

Fly--it is a fun experience. Never regretted the trip and it is over and done with so quickly.

They do not call it the VOMIT COMET for nothing-seas can be rough.

In any case, try the plane and you will then be better able to choose what to do when you come as a family.

Be strong! Take drugs. God knows it helped Missy aka Lambchop!

Fly. If you take pictures while you are in the air it will take your mind off of any fear. There are plenty of photo ops around starting with the port in St Martin with the big ships and ending with the harbor in St Barts and the landing. 15 minutes goes by in a flash.

I wholeheartedly agree with Amy and Kevin...flying is the best way to go. You'll never know unless you give it a try, Celeste, and then you can make your own comparisons!

Gayle

I would fly & have done so more times than I can count, this comes from a 1st time flier, solo, at 10 yrs old, in the states, later on becoming a fearful flier & overcoming that fear eventually flying as far as Hong Kong, home from Singapore. Have done Winair/WM & Tradewind...short vs long, SXM vs SJU. With children, would do SXM. Don't forget St Barth Commuter too/SBC.

The flight is fun and pretty, and I don’t love to fly. I do opt for Winair because I’m one of the people who like having two pilots in the cockpit.

Fly--it is a fun experience. Never regretted the trip and it is over and done with so quickly.

They do not call it the VOMIT COMET for nothing-seas can be rough.

In any case, try the plane and you will then be better able to choose what to do when you come as a family.

Be strong! Take drugs. God knows it helped Missy aka Lambchop!

Celeste...I get your anxiety as I, too, suffer. Claustrophobia is my issue. I put a .5mg of Lorazepam/Ativan pill under my tongue about 30 minutes prior to boarding ANY plane and that is sufficient to keeping anxiety at bay for several hours. I can't board a plane without it..I've tried. Phobia/Anxiety is not a joke and it affects us all uniquely.

I have taken the ferry (once) to avoid medication and I will NEVER take it again. I am not prone to seasickness but it hit me hard. The effects of that 45 minute ride lasted well into the next day.

My opinion is to see your Dr prior to departure and secure a prescription for Lorazepam and take the 15 minute plane ride. I also keep my camera in my hand and photograph/video the entire way to keep my brain occupied.

I truly hope my experience helps you, Celeste. Reach out by PM if you'd like.

-Missy

Andynap said it best,,,, busy yourself with something to keep your mind on something else.

There is so much hype on the landing that many believe it is a death dive to the runway. If you are looking out the window, marveling at the island view, you wont even know what the plane is doing. Take pictures, get a great video, before you know it you will over.

I captain yachts, US seaboard and Caribbean. I have flown to and from SXM/SBH 25 + times.... I wouldn't even consider the ferry ride.

Earlier this year I was moving a yacht with the owner and his son on board. In conversation the son, 25yrs old or so, mentioned that he recently visited SBH. The son is a blue water sailor (racing) and all. Atlantic crossings. The son stated he had ferried from SXM to SBH, and would NEVER do that again.

I am headed to SBH late June, book my flight, I'll hold your hand,,,,,

And then there's what Missy said,,,,,

M

We took the Ferry once because we had to. Seas were rough and my wife was sick all the 45 minutes.
As Steve Miller said ‘FLY Like an Eagle.’

I have been countless times and have never taken the ferry. What is the point of risking sea sickness?

We took the ferry to/from SBH in February. The trip over was a delight as it was a perfectly calm, sunny day. I felt like I was on a sightseeing cruise. BUT...I believe this was a rare event. Our return trip was somewhat rough and, although I didn’t get sick, I was VERY happy to get back on dry land.

I like Amy’s suggestion above: fly this time so you can make an informed decision about what to do with kids in tow.

I think that people (especially those that have never been) and the internet tend to exaggerate everything. Its always the best or the worst. One star or five stars.

The actual flight time is more like 10 minutes. Its a beautiful ride.

I've taken the ferry twice before. I'm a blue water sailor and I found it to be an uncomfortable ride. Didn't get sick but the pounding to windward for an hour was not fun. In contrast I love actually sailing between the islands with a stiff breeze and spray flying over the bow.

But these days I fly every time unless there is no choice. My wife isn't the best flyer but she has gotten so used to the flight that these days she doesn't even look up from the book that she is usually reading until we land.

I have a fear of height...flying was always a concern...on our early trips I would have a couple of adult beverages at SXM...then fly with my eyes glued to the floor of the plane.Now ...the flight does not bother me...no adult beverages are consumed and my eyes are glued to the window just soaking up the sights and experience....feel very safe in the plane. As many have stated the ferry can be a real problem if there is any kind of "weather". We did one trip on the ferry...it was packed solid...very hot, up and down on the waves...there were only a handful of people that did not get sick...I was a lucky one but my wife was not

We have always taken the ferry until our most recent trip when we flew. We had two rough ferry crossings over the years and many more smooth ones. I think we're converts to flying now, though. I can be a nervous flyer, but, for me, the anticipation was far worse than the actual experience. It was quick, smooth and scenic--which made it seem even quicker.

The hysteria about the flight is the most overhyped thing about St Barths.

My wife was terrified the first time, now she wants to sit in the co=pilot seat.

Due to flight delays, we were forced to take the ferry our very first trip to St Barths. It was disgusting. Never again.

We stay over in St Martin rather than take the ferry.

Fly, baby, fly!

Cheryl gets sea sick when she sees a boat so that decision was taken away from us back in 87. Yes we agree Cheryl takes a gazillion pics in the air and the time passes quickly. The exhilarating view 2 minutes towards touchdown can’t be replicated anywhere else.

I can't speak for anyone else but after one bad ferry experience I will never do it again unless forced, plus I love the plane ride. I see that you had a good experience on the ferry last time and having only done it once myself I can't say if you were lucky or just a "ferry person" or both. I do get the idea that those small planes would probably be an immense source of anxiety for someone with a fear of flying, but when you are actually on the plane it's kind of weird. The plane is so small that you feel like you are in a mini-bus and nothing about it feels dangerous or scary or that anything can go wrong and although obviously I could not, you kind of get the feeling that you could just land it yourself like a car (er...a flying car:thinking1:). I guess my point is that I suspect that your fear of what the flight will be, will ultimately be much different than how you will actually feel during the flight. It's really an incredibly scenic flight. BUT,,,if it makes you so nervous that the thought of it is going to ruin the anticipation of your upcoming trip, you do have the ferry option. My advice is have a couple of rum punches at the SXM waiting area and enjoy the flight!!!