Annual Hermit Crab Egg Laying Migration

KevinS

Senior Insider
This video was created by a local St Barth, Karl Questel. He now works for the ATE, the Agence Territoriale de l'Environnement/Teritorial Environment Agency. I don't know him, but I've seen some of his work in his earlier years, and he has always been interested in the flora and fauna of the island. This video shows the annual migration of the island's hermit crabs to lay their eggs in the sea. Prior seeing this video I had no idea that such an action existed.

Nice video from M. Questal.

Another hermit crab behavior that may interest you is the formation of "vacancy chains" to move up in housing - as they grow they need to get bigger shells. This video (which I am unable to embed) shows and explains the activity:

Better than fighting but shell fights happen too...

We honeymooned in Virgin Gorda and loved watching the hermit crabs there. We look forward to visiting our ‘friends’ every year at the Villa we rent. Hermit crabs eat everything we eat but also enjoy leaves, grass and even wood. One doesn’t realize how many there are on the island until seeing the video. Thank you for sharing.

Yes, very cool. Its amazing how much there is to learn about our favorite tiny island.
Now I am wondering why they're called "hermit" crabs. This crowd seems anything BUT hermit-like. :thinking1: