Flying from Grand Case

marybeth

Senior Insider
Hi all,
When we rebooked on United after the AA issues we also decided to come a day early. Unfortunately all flights on SBC to SBH were booked from SXM so we are flying from SFG. We land at 2:05 PM and our flight from Grand Case departs at 5:00 PM. I was thinking this was plenty of time but WIMCO is advising we need carry on only. Has anyone done this transfer since Irma? I figured we would be out of SXM pretty quickly and that the security at SFG would be easy. Its been years since we flew from Grand Case though, and maybe the roads around St. Maartin are in bad shape?

Any thoughts?

I think Wimco is concerned about getting your bags quickly and then taxiing over to Grand Case in time. I would ask SBC rather than Wimco. Once you land at SXM I would go over to the SBC table and advise them you have landed and are going over to Grand Case. I remember a post a couple of years ago where SBC was providing transportation to Grand Case.

Marybeth . . . a friend told me of the experience of him and his wife in transiting from SXM to SFG about a year ago. They said that it was slow . . . but not notably slower than other times that they've made the same trip -- about 45 minutes. The most noteworthy part of the trip for them was the un-repaired damage along the way . . . they described that in some parts the road looked like it had been cleared by a bulldozer, through boats, cars, destroyed homes, and other debris all along the way. I have a sense that progress has been made in rebuilding and clean-up, but you may still see some of the considerable loss suffered on the island.

Thanks Dennis and Andy.... good call about asking SBC. And I'm glad to hear the drive is about the same. I'm guessing we will still see lots of damage especially on the interior of the island.

Its not like I CAN'T do carry-on...but if I don't have to, I'd like to check a bag. I'll need extra room for the return after I hit the soldes!!

I'd like to check a bag. I'll need extra room for the return after I hit the soldes!!

You could always emulate a cruise ship passenger who I saw shopping in Lou Lou's Marine many years ago. After spending over $500 buying sweatshirts, she also bought a large duffle bag to carry them in.

Thanks Dennis and Andy.... good call about asking SBC. And I'm glad to hear the drive is about the same. I'm guessing we will still see lots of damage especially on the interior of the island.

Its not like I CAN'T do carry-on...but if I don't have to, I'd like to check a bag. I'll need extra room for the return after I hit the soldes!!
After Hurricane Hugo there were large boats still on the side of the road for years.

So Andy's advice to contact SBC was right on (why didn't I think of that???) Anyway, they replied right away....love them...and said they advise 2 hours to make the transfer so we should have plenty of time. I'll be sure to check in with them at SXM as well. No transportation between airports though.

Kevin, hmmm, maybe a nice Longchamp bag to bring my purchases home? :cool:

A bit of a detour, I’d like to note that when Wendy & I first traveled to SBH in 1978, we landed at SXM, but it hardly is a memory. (I do remember that it was like early SJU — all “open” to the air. Can you imagine 40+ years ago?) We took a taxi to “the French airport” . . . I don’t think it even had a structure that could have been deemed a “terminal.” On arrival in St. Barths, we were met by a “fairy godmother,” Brook Lacour. Truly, & deservedly, a legend on the island today & our (unintended) protectress & sponsor. The beginning of a remarkable & beautiful friendship — personally and in spirit with St.Barths — that lasts to this writing.

For years, until right be fore Irma, we spent the night in Orient then flew from Grand Case.
Still have roosters walking around the airport

For years, until right be fore Irma, we spent the night in Orient then flew from Grand Case.
Still have roosters walking around the airport

December 21st, 2016

IMG_4140.jpg

Just more to love about SBC. When we rebooked our AA flights and consequently had to fly from Lesperance they kindly "wait listed" us in case seats opened up at SXM. With the trip just a week away we had pretty much given up hope. Then Saturday came an email saying they added a flight and after a quick confirmation we were rebooked. New tickets emailed this AM.

The best news is that this will allow us to make it to Dennis's happy hour at Santa Fe. :up: Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Mary Beth, you should have no problem getting over to Grand Case in time. We have been to St. Martin 3x since Irma and stay in Orient, we usually get to our Villa with in 1-1 1/2 hrs. after landing and that was with us picking up our rental car.

Thanks Ackhealth, and welcome to the forum. The good news for us is we don’t need to go to Grand Case now. SBC added a flight from SXM so we are spared having to cab it across St. Martin. And we’re getting to paradise 90 minutes sooner...not like I’m counting or anything...

Thanks Ackhealth, and welcome to the forum. The good news for us is we don’t need to go to Grand Case now. SBC added a flight from SXM so we are spared having to cab it across St. Martin. And we’re getting to paradise 90 minutes sooner...not like I’m counting or anything...

. . . a fairy godmother watches out for you!