St Barth Biodiversity Brochure

KevinS

Senior Insider
A new brochure on the biodiversity of St Barth is available for download on the ATE (Agence Territoriale de l'Environnement/Teritorial Environment Agency) website. The website is in French, but the 44-page brochure is in both French and English.

ATE website:
https://agencedelenvironnement.fr/

ATE page with the download link:
https://agencedelenvironnement.fr/brochure-de-la-biodiversite-de-saint-barthelemy/

Direct link to the brochure:
https://agencedelenvironnement.fr/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/livret-ATE-biodiversité-web-print.pdf

What a very interesting brochure! Thank you, Kevin, for posting it. I’ve dowloaded it so I can read it at home tonight and give it the attention it deserves.

Gayle

Thank you for pointing this out to us. Even though the island is small there is a lot to see if you look around with patience.

thank you Kevin! Very interesting and gave me the names of some of the plants, etc. that I see on the island.

This is super fascinating, so thank you for posting this! The most important plant you really need to know about is the Manchineel...About 20 or so years ago, I had a run in with this delightful-smelling plant in Barbados..some Bajan ladies sitting under a tree about had a heart attack when I brought them an "apple" from the plant to see what this was, as it looked like a lime..they grabbed me, hardly speaking, and threw me into the nearest bathroom and washed my hands with the borax-type soap, and quite possibly saved my life. I will always be grateful to them and I have learned that my over-curiosity about plants and other things might have done me in. That is why I have learned to be wary of plants with which I am not familiar, especially in a foreign country, and have learned that the iPhone camera is your best source of investigation! Stay away from this plant and let your kids know not to pick up anything unfamiliar before you go on vacation with them. I would say this wonderful brochure is "required reading" with your kids and family as it is a wealth of knowledge! Thank you, Kevin!

I'm familiar with the manchineel tree, and they're not common but they do exist on SBH. It's certainly one to avoid! Those little crab apples aren't crab apples...

This was super. Now, if I can only recall the right names when I observe them while visiting and photographing St Barth!

This is super fascinating, so thank you for posting this! The most important plant you really need to know about is the Manchineel...About 20 or so years ago, I had a run in with this delightful-smelling plant in Barbados..some Bajan ladies sitting under a tree about had a heart attack when I brought them an "apple" from the plant to see what this was, as it looked like a lime..they grabbed me, hardly speaking, and threw me into the nearest bathroom and washed my hands with the borax-type soap, and quite possibly saved my life. I will always be grateful to them and I have learned that my over-curiosity about plants and other things might have done me in. That is why I have learned to be wary of plants with which I am not familiar, especially in a foreign country, and have learned that the iPhone camera is your best source of investigation! Stay away from this plant and let your kids know not to pick up anything unfamiliar before you go on vacation with them. I would say this wonderful brochure is "required reading" with your kids and family as it is a wealth of knowledge! Thank you, Kevin!

Fascinating! Now I have to read more about it.

Environment should be much much higher on St Barth agenda.
The island just cant sustain its development and its carbon footprint must be awful as most resources have to be important or processed like water. To start with, it is a nonense that there is no public transport.