moving to sb for a few years?

tcpnyc

SBH Member
Thinking about moving the family to SB for a few years...have young boys and want a break from the city life. Does this ever occur?? i noticed not many full year rentals, so that could answer my question right there :)

I suggest you contact the French Consulate in New York City and understand the legalities Kevin is referring to, assuming you are an American citizen.
212-606-3601 or visa@consulfrance-newyork.org. Please note as a non EU citizen, it is difficult to find a job there and housing is difficult to come by unless you have the wherewithal to rent a Villa, which as you state- may answer your question. Good luck!

yes- I know of the legalities and I am fine- don't need a job....just didn't know if this was something people do, or is st Barths not great in terms fo education, other kids etc

There is basically no year-round housing available but you might be able to make a monthly deal for a would-be weekly rental villa... and your kids would be going to school in French, so if that works for them, you'd just need to get the legalities straightened out but it should be possible.

Everything is negotiable! Schools only go up to eighth grade- no hospital- but a medical facility with limited resources.

Everything is negotiable! Schools only go up to eighth grade- no hospital- but a medical facility with limited resources.
. . . sorry to be a little disagreeable, but I have other thoughts on both points.

There is a “hospital” . . . its capacity may be somewhat limited, but it has equipment & highly credible medical staff that are highly effective & state-of-art, as I learned several years ago when hospitalized there for a serious condition. Coordination of matters related to the situation occurred between physicians on SBH, in Paris, & with my personal doctors in FL. Not only that, the food was incredible!

. . . and school: I believe it’s inaccurate to say that education ends at the 8th grade. My understanding is that the French system on SBH educates children through the age of 15 — perhaps 16. In addition, there is a private school on the island that offers education through high school years.

No hospital?? I had to go to the "no hospital" a few years ago, and received competent and thorough treatment. It's not the place for a triple bypass, but it's a quality hospital.

Speaking as an educator (2 Universities, Middle School, High School), I can truly say that children who spend time in other countries and meet children from different cultures, while finding their way in the new culture, is an invaluable experience to give to a child, as good an "education" as anything you can find in classroom. It makes children more worldly, independent, flexible, socially aware and confident...so many advantages, so many "teachable moments". That being said, it is good to do it when children are young, as they can learn another language more easily when they are under the age of 11 or 12. Speaking from my own experiences of moving after 3rd grade, 5th grade and 9th grade, it was not the greatest experience, and although I settled into my school, those are very hard ages to take kids out of their environment, especially during Middle School and High School. (We did not have social media to keep links up, either, so that is an advantage for kids who move around these days.) Learning about the world from actually "being there" is a gift to your children, and they will thank you in the future. Do something some people can only dream about. Learning a different method of education teaches so much and if your kids are young, they have fewer expectations of "how things should be". I wish you the best in your decision, and remember, if it does not work out, you can just go home.

Well said. Even though I did not move around the world we relocated from Brooklyn to Detroit when I was 8, moved from private school to public school at 6th grade. Toughest and best experiences of my life.

Thank you so much for the insight. The kids are 8/10 and we really want to do this before high school. It seems like a great idea/doable except the lack of annual rentals. The market is liquid enough I guess we can buy a spot and rent/sell if we head back to NYC

Thank you so much for the insight. The kids are 8/10 and we really want to do this before high school. It seems like a great idea/doable except the lack of annual rentals. The market is liquid enough I guess we can buy a spot and rent/sell if we head back to NYC
A wonderful age to try. Have the kids been enjoying your regular trips to SBH? Do they have some special things/places they like? There is no question you could rent your purchased SBH home when you have decided to return to NYC. SBH gets more and more popular for sure. You never know; your kids might wish to go to a French-American school when they return to NYC and do an International Bac eventually! I wish you well and many happy days.

For a month, my youngest daughter attended local school while we were on an extended sail in 2006. Her studies were parallel to what she would have been studying in the states. She remains in touch with her classmates. At the time, we were on a mooring in the inner harbor. She would paddleboard home to the boat in school clothes and book bag. I could barely take the painter without demanding "Okay. What was lunch today?" She would think for a moment..."Lamb and rice pilaf with salad. No that was yesterday. Chicken with mushroom sauce." I was ready to apply for a job emptying les poubelles.
She also visited schools on Domenica, St. Lucia, Martinique and others, though not for any length of time. Poignant and powerful experiences.

For a month, my youngest daughter attended local school while we were on an extended sail in 2006. Her studies were parallel to what she would have been studying in the states. She remains in touch with her classmates. At the time, we were on a mooring in the inner harbor. She would paddleboard home to the boat in school clothes and book bag. I could barely take the painter without demanding "Okay. What was lunch today?" She would think for a moment..."Lamb and rice pilaf with salad. No that was yesterday. Chicken with mushroom sauce." I was ready to apply for a job emptying les poubelles.
She also visited schools on Domenica, St. Lucia, Martinique and others, though not for any length of time. Poignant and powerful experiences.
Fabulous recollection! Thanks for sharing.

That had to be so cool for your student, Rosemsry. What a wonderful opportunity to experience.

If I can help, even if as a Frenchman, I did what you have in mind. I relocate in SB in 2011 (coming from Paris, France) and I lived there six years with my family of 3 daughters. I had to leave following IRMA that destroyed our home, but it was a fantastic experience. I have been living in Singapore now for two years. My children can now learn mandarine. About your question, browse the villas for rent, try to find one with a configuration well suited to permanent living, and of course you can negotiate with the landlord (what I did) for a long term rental.