Pleasures

Hawke

Senior Insider
A question for people who have visited St. Barts numerous times. Do you get more enjoyment traveling with another couple that have stayed on the island before,or introducing people to St. Barts on their first visit?

My wife and I like to vacation alone, but we have enjoyed sharing St. Bart’s with our children and grand children.

St. Bart’s has always been a place for the 2 of us to get away by ourselves....in our many years we have established friends on the island whom we enjoy seeing when there....we would never bring friends from home...don’t want to “mix worlds”...
But we have brought our daughters down in low season and then sons in laws and are now hoping on bringing our growing brood of grandsons down to enjoy St. Bart’s through their eyes...

Anita and I very much enjoy our private time together, however, we also share with friends and family. What works best for us, is to alternate between just the two of us and friends/family.

It’s a pleasure to see the island through “fresh eyes”. It’s also a pleasure when the fresh eyes return home.

We once suggested to some very good friends of ours that one day they accompany us on vacation to St Barths...they began asking questions such as "is there a golf course", "are there historical sights to see", "what do you do all day". We realized immediately that it perhaps was not such a good idea. So we two usually just go it alone. Although my daughter did insinuate herself on our trip last Spring, just before she started a new job, lol. Luckily she grew up going to St Barths for vacation and knows well the tenor and drift of the days.

We meet a couple (our good friends ) there every year--they do their thing each day as do we--- each night we hook up for drinks and dinner and have a blast!!-

We brought two of our nieces at different times as a college grad gift. One hated it too hot, one loved it. We loved bringing them though. Brought my father in law there for his 80th and he didn’t understand why he had to fly so far from Jersey in order to go to a beach

After SBH being our special place for just the two of us for over 15 years (our very first trip was our honeymoon), we finally invited some good friends last year. Although they had a good time, I don't think they really "got it." It's definitely a place you either get, or don't. ;)

There are vacation destinations I would consider going to with friends.

St Barths is not one of them.

NVD is not a group event.

There are vacation destinations I would consider going to with friends.

The friendships I have made with folks that get St Barths, were friendships formed while actually on St Barths or through this forum. Just sayin'

Remember St. Barts once had the floating golf green.
We were told that there was someone who wanted to build a course on a rocky...well what else is there anywhere you look...hillside that would be on same side as Merlette section, but closer to Flamands, going down that hill but high up & to the right. Glad didn't happen, but surprised when saw the tennis courts close to where Villa Ylang Ylang is located. Spoiled what view there was there. Told no lights on at nite.

I really must reply to this. My trips to SBH are simply sacred to me. We brought "friends" to SBH on one trip and they were so picky and unappreciative, we had an awful time and from then on, I have not and am not bringing anyone. Someone once said that other people can never appreciate the souvenirs you bring back from a trip as much as you, so don't bother bringing things back for others and expect them to appreciate what they mean to you. I can say the same for other people. Why not take the time to meet others on the island, or let the friends stay in their own villa and meet up as you wish. I have met so many wonderful people on SBH, especially those from our blog here, you will never be at a loss for people.