Views: 444
Size:  431.0 KB
    Name:  20190910_190834.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  183.1 KB

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,209

Re: Road construction- September-December

That ought to be interesting, especially in November for the Gourmet Festival, the Select 70th, and Thanksgiving...can anyone remember the last time there was no road work going on?

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,545

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    That ought to be interesting, especially in November for the Gourmet Festival, the Select 70th, and Thanksgiving...can anyone remember the last time there was no road work going on?
    I think that donkeys may have been the primary mode of transportation then, LOL. Or maybe not LOL, LOL.

I'm under the impression that there are or have been four primary drivers to the never-ending roadwork over the last 4-5 years:

1) Post-Irma burial of utility lines to reduce the number and breadth of outages in the event of a similar occurrence
    2) Island-wide deployment of fiber-optic cable
    3) Gustavia-wide sewer pipe installation
    4) The new gas station and the accompanying roundabout at Oasis

There was also a recent mention in Le Journal of what I took to be a cross-connection between two of the island's water storage tanks, but I'm unclear on exactly what that is, and how it might impact road construction.

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,391

I just want to know where the Pancake House is?

Name:  download-4.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  13.3 KB

Pancake House is Facebook’s translation of La Crêperie. No pancakes, crêpes and galettes.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,280

New owners and still a good stop
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,267

And Bar de l'Oblivion...

Did you mean L'Oubli? the place across from Select?

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,580

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Did you mean L'Oubli? the place across from Select?
    MB post is a quote from my post

Andy

Got it now, Andy. And I saw your post repeated a few times too and still missed.

I have an eye exam scheduled for next month-I may soon have new glasses. haha

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,209

Got it now, Andy. And I saw your post repeated a few times too and still missed.

I have an eye exam scheduled for next month-I may soon have new glasses. haha
    both names are pretty funny... actually.

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,391

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Pancake House is Facebook’s translation of La Crêperie. No pancakes, crêpes and galettes.
    I assumed as much but thought it a funny translation and brought to mind the Pizza Hut scare of years gone by.

Look at the menu for Au Regal for Friday

Name:  85D86C5E-3E68-46DF-942A-118F9FA05018.jpeg
Views: 319
Size:  211.7 KB

Andy

For goodness sakes, What in the world is dog sauce?

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 430

For goodness sakes, What in the world is dog sauce?
    Sauce chien (one recipe) - seems the name has something to do with the ingredients being chopped up using a couteau-chien (dog-knife) - " a legendary object in the West Indies... born from a meeting in the old days between a cutler of Thiers and cooks of Guadeloupe... a wedding gift par excellence"...

And it is bad luck in our family to gift knives. Requires an additional gift, usually cash, to drive the evil spirits away. Life is beautiful!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 1,772

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]May13

Recipe for the famous ‘Sauce Chien’

timalmax Blogs, Recipes 0 comments
    The ‘Sauce Chien’ (Dog Sauce) is used in French West Indian cooking to add flavour to your dishes, particularly those using fish. There are various ways to prepare this sauce, depending on taste, some like it spicier than others for example. Simply modify the recipe to suit your taste but replicating the overall French West Indian recipe as much as possible.Preparation: 5 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 minutesINGREDIENTS:
    1 large onion
    3 spring onions (or chives)
    2 branches of parsley
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tomato
    1 lime
    1 West Indian pimento
    Olive oil
    Salt, pepper
    WaterTHE RECIPE
    Mix the ingredients in a salad bowl as follows: Grate the onion and the zest of half a lemon, finely chop the spring onion, the parsley, and the garlic cloves. Tear the fresh thyme into small pieces.
    Remove the seeds of the tomato and the pimento and dice them both.
    Add 3 table spoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
    Boil 50cl of water and sprinkle into the mixture. Finally add the juice of half a lemon and add extra seasoning to taste. Cover and leave to macerate until serving.Enjoy at will with fish, lobster, chicken, grilled food…. It’s delicious !!

[/COLOR]
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Sauce chien (one recipe) - seems the name has something to do with the ingredients being chopped up using a couteau-chien (dog-knife) - " a legendary object in the West Indies... born from a meeting in the old days between a cutler of Thiers and cooks of Guadeloupe... a wedding gift par excellence"...
    Way back in my newbie days, when Acras de Morue and Sauce Chien were more common in island restaurants, I mentally equated Sauce Chien to a dog bite, rather than to sauce made from a dog. The heat from a good Sauce Chien surely felt like a bite, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I assumed as much but thought it a funny translation and brought to mind the Pizza Hut scare of years gone by.
    La Crêperie is just a block up the street from L'Isoletta, the alleged Pizza Hut location.
    Last edited by KevinS; 09-12-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Correction from Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    La Crêperie is literally across the street from L'Isoletta, the alleged Pizza Hut location.
    Note, both Creperie and Isoletta are on the same side of the road...a block apart on the left as you head out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

timalmax Blogs, Recipes 0 comments
    The ‘Sauce Chien’ (Dog Sauce) is used in French West Indian cooking to add flavour to your dishes, particularly those using fish. There are various ways to prepare this sauce, depending on taste, some like it spicier than others for example. Simply modify the recipe to suit your taste but replicating the overall French West Indian recipe as much as possible.Preparation: 5 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 minutesINGREDIENTS:
    1 large onion
    3 spring onions (or chives)
    2 branches of parsley
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tomato
    1 lime
    1 West Indian pimento
    Olive oil
    Salt, pepper
    WaterTHE RECIPE
    Mix the ingredients in a salad bowl as follows: Grate the onion and the zest of half a lemon, finely chop the spring onion, the parsley, and the garlic cloves. Tear the fresh thyme into small pieces.
    Remove the seeds of the tomato and the pimento and dice them both.
    Add 3 table spoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
    Boil 50cl of water and sprinkle into the mixture. Finally add the juice of half a lemon and add extra seasoning to taste. Cover and leave to macerate until serving.Enjoy at will with fish, lobster, chicken, grilled food…. It’s delicious !!

[/COLOR]
    after reading this I assume lemon should be in the ingredients instead of lime

Andy

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 299

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Maya gave us her recipe for "Sauce Chien" a few years ago and we served it with mahi-mahi (durade) at a "villa themed" dinner party. The side was baked christophine, derived from a partial recipe pried from Benjamin at Langouste. The following visit, asked around the island for a couteaux chien, but nobody had heard of it. Found the company website, https://www.thiers-issard.fr/fr/44-couteaux-chien-, but so far no retailers. Maybe a trip Guadaloupe or Martinique is needed. Any thoughts?

Memories..my favorite Chrisophine was served in Gustavia at Au Port-across from the current post office. The duck was darn good too. Sorry to hijack the thread-I just had a nostalgic flashback

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2011 NY, NY Posts: 158

The sauce Chien looks a lot like the sauce that Tom Beach used to serve with their Branzino, which I very much miss!

Note, both Creperie and Isoletta are on the same side of the road...a block apart on the left as you head out of town.
    And that explains why the picture in my head is confused with both L'Isoletta and a construction site in the same place, LOL.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 430

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    Maya gave us her recipe for "Sauce Chien" a few years ago... The following visit, asked around the island for a couteaux chien, but nobody had heard of it. Found the company website, https://www.thiers-issard.fr/fr/44-couteaux-chien-, but so far no retailers. Maybe a trip Guadaloupe or Martinique is needed. Any thoughts?

Alternative explanations of the name from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Rachlen were posted here in 2012:
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Sauce chien (literally, "dog sauce") is a sort of high-voltage vinaigrette served throughout the French West Indies. How did it get its odd name? One theory holds that the "dog" refers to the fierce bite of the chiles. Another refers to the fact that this is a humble sauce, made without the egg yolks, butter, or cream found in more "noble" French sauces. Whatever its origins, sauce chien is an indispensable accompaniment to grilled seafood, chicken, and vegetables throughout the French West Indies.
    Regarding retailers, I also do not see any US retailers offering the dog logo knife and the article that I linked states "80.000 exemplaires sont fabriqués chaque année exclusivement pour les Antilles françaises" (80000 are made annually, exclusively for the French Antilles). So unless you want to deal with all that online purchase/importing from this French site may entail, a Guadalupe or Martinique trip may be needed...

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 1,772

The true origins of the ‘Dog Knife’

The true origins of the ‘Dog Knife’

timalmax Blogs, Did you know ? 0 comments
    It is THE legendary knife of the French West Indies, for over 100 years!
    Relatively unknown in Europe, the ‘Couteau Chien’ (or Dog Knife) is extremely popular in the West Indies.
    The ‘dog knife’ takes its name from the small animal engraved on the blade.
    Cooks from long ago (‘antan lontan’ in Creole; in olden times…) completed most culinary preparations using a quality steel knife. At the top of the blade near the handle, the manufacturer’s symbol, a watchdog (‘chien’), was stamped into it.
    It was originally created by Sabatier Frère et Fils but then acquired by France Exportation, an old cutlery maker dating back to 1793. Thiers Issard continued its manufacture until 1980 when France Exportation closed. Since then this brand has been owned by Thiers Issard and is still entirely made in Thiers by Thiers-Issard, in mainland France.
    This legendary knife came into being in 1880 and is highly prized in the French West Indies where it is said that every family should have this knife.
    The Dog Knife is the ‘wedding knife’. It is very important to offer this symbolic knife as a gift for a wedding as it is used a lot in the kitchen for cutting herbs or eating.
    There is even a local sauce that takes its name from this knife, the ‘Sauce Chien’. The herbs used in this sauce (spring onions, garlic and parsley) are prepared using this type of knife.
    It was generally made with a metal handle but this was changed for convenience to a more modern material.
    The most popular model sold nowadays is that with a black nylon handle that can be cleaned in a dishwasher.
    So, everyone to their knives, let’s do some cooking!

[TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery content_images=”591,589,590″ el_file1=”” el_file2=””][/TS_VCSC_Lightbox_Gallery]

[/COLOR]
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

art-et-couteaux.com

couteau chien is around $10 + shipping. They do ship world wide
    At least we're enjoying the ride

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 299

Quote Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
    art-et-couteaux.com
    Merci beaucoup!

Avec plaisir :)
    At least we're enjoying the ride