Road construction- September-December

andynap

Senior Insider
20190910_190641.jpg
20190910_190733.jpg
20190910_190807.jpg
20190910_190834.jpg

That ought to be interesting, especially in November for the Gourmet Festival, the Select 70th, and Thanksgiving...can anyone remember the last time there was no road work going on?

That ought to be interesting, especially in November for the Gourmet Festival, the Select 70th, and Thanksgiving...can anyone remember the last time there was no road work going on?

I think that donkeys may have been the primary mode of transportation then, LOL. Or maybe not LOL, LOL.

I'm under the impression that there are or have been four primary drivers to the never-ending roadwork over the last 4-5 years:

1) Post-Irma burial of utility lines to reduce the number and breadth of outages in the event of a similar occurrence
2) Island-wide deployment of fiber-optic cable
3) Gustavia-wide sewer pipe installation
4) The new gas station and the accompanying roundabout at Oasis

There was also a recent mention in Le Journal of what I took to be a cross-connection between two of the island's water storage tanks, but I'm unclear on exactly what that is, and how it might impact road construction.

Pancake House is Facebook’s translation of La Crêperie. No pancakes, crêpes and galettes.

Got it now, Andy. And I saw your post repeated a few times too and still missed.

I have an eye exam scheduled for next month-I may soon have new glasses. haha

For goodness sakes, What in the world is dog sauce?

Sauce chien (one recipe) - seems the name has something to do with the ingredients being chopped up using a couteau-chien (dog-knife) - " a legendary object in the West Indies... born from a meeting in the old days between a cutler of Thiers and cooks of Guadeloupe... a wedding gift par excellence"...

And it is bad luck in our family to gift knives. Requires an additional gift, usually cash, to drive the evil spirits away. Life is beautiful!

location-deshaies-poisson-sauce-chien.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]May13

[h=2]Recipe for the famous ‘Sauce Chien’[/h]timalmax Blogs, Recipes 0 comments
The ‘Sauce Chien’ (Dog Sauce) is used in French West Indian cooking to add flavour to your dishes, particularly those using fish. There are various ways to prepare this sauce, depending on taste, some like it spicier than others for example. Simply modify the recipe to suit your taste but replicating the overall French West Indian recipe as much as possible.Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutesINGREDIENTS:
1 large onion
3 spring onions (or chives)
2 branches of parsley
2 cloves of garlic
1 tomato
1 lime
1 West Indian pimento
Olive oil
Salt, pepper
WaterTHE RECIPE
Mix the ingredients in a salad bowl as follows: Grate the onion and the zest of half a lemon, finely chop the spring onion, the parsley, and the garlic cloves. Tear the fresh thyme into small pieces.
Remove the seeds of the tomato and the pimento and dice them both.
Add 3 table spoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Boil 50cl of water and sprinkle into the mixture. Finally add the juice of half a lemon and add extra seasoning to taste. Cover and leave to macerate until serving.Enjoy at will with fish, lobster, chicken, grilled food…. It’s delicious !!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Sauce chien (one recipe) - seems the name has something to do with the ingredients being chopped up using a couteau-chien (dog-knife) - " a legendary object in the West Indies... born from a meeting in the old days between a cutler of Thiers and cooks of Guadeloupe... a wedding gift par excellence"...

Way back in my newbie days, when Acras de Morue and Sauce Chien were more common in island restaurants, I mentally equated Sauce Chien to a dog bite, rather than to sauce made from a dog. The heat from a good Sauce Chien surely felt like a bite, LOL.

I assumed as much but thought it a funny translation and brought to mind the Pizza Hut scare of years gone by.

La Crêperie is just a block up the street from L'Isoletta, the alleged Pizza Hut location.

Last edited:
La Crêperie is literally across the street from L'Isoletta, the alleged Pizza Hut location.

Note, both Creperie and Isoletta are on the same side of the road...a block apart on the left as you head out of town.