Small thoughts about dining tonight

cec1

Senior Insider
. . . tonight’s dinner.

L’Esprit. Always lovely. Big smiles come to me, repeatedly, at the chef’s “clap clap” from the kitchen to signal to waiters that a dinner portion is ready.

Food, of course, will be sublime. At least as interesting, however, is the dynamic among guests in the restaurant . . . which, apart from moi, is 100% French, locals & visitors.

With limited understanding of, & capacity to speak, French, my ability to eavesdrop is finite. Nonetheless, there’s so much to be observed in gestures & facial expressions . . . which are, I find, so consequential in French communication. I love watching the non-verbal communication . . . and wish that I had learned, as an American, such meaning with a smile, grimace, upturned eyebrow, or curled lip!

Among further observations is the total — at least, apparently — acceptance of gay people in the community. I sit facing a couple of handsome young gay guys (they’re unabashedly showing affection, I would say, by holding hands) who are dining with two other manifestly straight couples . . . one being at least 40 years older (perhaps parents of one of them (not holding hands!)), the other probably 20 years older (a brother / sister, perhaps & partner). It’s refreshing to see the caring acceptance among & for a group that could encounter some hostility &/or other rejection in environs away from SBH.

The evening is stellar . . . and this is an early report!

More to come!

Sent from my iPad

One of the opportunities afforded by dining solo is the ability to people-watch without paying less attention to your dining companion.

As to the hand holding, love is a beautiful thing, no matter who is doing the hand holding.

I have spent hours trying to master the Mono Eyebrow Lift...all to no avail. That one eyebrow lift silently contributes volumes.

Enjoy your happy meal in the island’s garden paradise.

One of the opportunities afforded by dining solo is the ability to people-watch without paying less attention to your dining companion.

As to the hand holding, love is a beautiful thing, no matter who is doing the hand holding.
We watched Dave Chappelle on Netflix yesterday. One of the funniest people ever. He broke so many barriers, taboos, and stereotypes. Our youngest daughter is in theater and her fellow actors of both sexes have cured me of any prejudice I once had. We are all people who have our own set of desires. I know I desire St. Barts.