AA Schedule Changes

NancySC

Senior Insider
:tongue: You might want to check your American Airlines reservations as I did today (for an upcoming domestic flight.) While in my reservations profile I looked at another reservation for Dec. to San Juan which had a just a few minutes difference to both outbound flights. The return had been changed to connect thru MIAmi instead of the previously booked thru Charlotte/CLT for both of our Dec. dates. And on the Boeing plane in question which I don't intend to fly ever !

I think the res agent had some 3X5 index cards with responses to my various questions.
Reasoning for dropping CLT for connection back from St Thomas...AA has retired some planes, the MD 80's...having flown on AA for many years, never a flight on that aircraft. And when a schedule change, it must be at least an hour difference to get a refund...anyone heard that ?

The schedule changes to our reservation were on Sept 3 @ 1:03am...no notification from AA. I don't know if SXM is affected but check it out.

Thank you for your diligent reporting, Nancy. Personally, I almost never have had flight changes with AA, but I suspect that it’s because I don’t book far in advance. By the time I confirm reservations, I think AA has settled its thoughts about which hub cities they’re using. I’ve also used JetBlue, United, & Delta in travel to SBH. . . while I think that Delta has better food service, it’s not enough to get me to give up priorities that I get with AA as a frequent traveler.

Dennis, I rarely see unexpected flight changes with AA, as well as regrettable fare changes, for the same reason. Mostly because I also book late.

Dennis, I rarely see unexpected flight changes with AA, as well as regrettable fare changes, for the same reason. Mostly because I also book late.
Thanks, Kevin, for describing your experience. I ‘get” the thoughtful process of many who “book” early, seeking the best rates, but my experience is that doing so has not been mwholly satisfactory in terms of long term planning, unless you’re willing to be jerked around in terms of transit points & schedules.

On the other hand I book early on AA but my flight isn’t until February. By that time I hope they will have their schedules down. BTW- flying into SXM for at least 30 years have never had a flight change on USAIR or AA. Thinking back it’s probably more like 40 plus years.

I know of the no refund if the schedule change is less than an hour. As with anything, "rules" are guidelines. Jet Blue changed our flight from SXM-FLL by 17 minutes. Those 17 minutes (on a Sunday morning) made the difference of us trying for a tight connection, to no way would we even try it. I called Jet Blue and explained our situation. They agreed to change our flight with no change fees. Hopefully AA can work with you the same.

We book our IND- SJU flights with AA as earlier as we are able. We have had changes made without notification as well. Aren’t they suppose to ask you if you accept the changes?

Hopper yes AA or any airline should contact you about schedule changes because you as the passenger have rights/the option to accept or decline the flights, the airline initiated the changes not you. As a ps, I have accepted the flights via MIAmi tho not happy with having to connect thru there, the new planes not supposed to fly till 2020 if then. AA just hasn't changed the aircraft type yet. Our only other option on AA was from STT to DFW to SAV...adding a couple more hours to the return home a few days before Christmas. So again I urge readers to check their reservations periodically, I had only made a change to these reservations a few days before the schedule change appeared in my profile.

On the other hand I book early on AA but my flight isn’t until February. By that time I hope they will have their schedules down. BTW- flying into SXM for at least 30 years have never had a flight change on USAIR or AA. Thinking back it’s probably more like 40 plus years.

You never did Andy ? Working in the industry for so long, we checked our clients reservations diligently throughout the year, USair & AA had many schedule changes, maybe a few minutes only, or misconnects etc. Before the internet how would you know if you had a schedule change, your travel consultant would tell you ! an excellent consultant certainly would inform you. PHL to SXM notorious route for changes which then caused phone calls to Winair or SBC or another that stopped flying years ago & before Tradewind, before internet. Peace.

Hi Nancy. All travel prior to the late 90s or early 2000s was to SXM like I said. Any difference in minutes certainly wasn’t a delay so far as I was concerned since everything was nonstop with no connections. Once we started going to SBH thru SXM I don’t recall ever having to change a connection because of delay and yes there was internet then. Maybe flying always in high season is better and less flight changes. Back to you.

Hi Nancy. All travel prior to the late 90s or early 2000s was to SXM like I said. Any difference in minutes certainly wasn’t a delay so far as I was concerned since everything was nonstop with no connections. Once we started going to SBH thru SXM I don’t recall ever having to change a connection because of delay and yes there was internet then. Maybe flying always in high season is better and less flight changes. Back to you.

Getting a hoagie tomorrow at Wawa Sugartown Rd in Wayne, hope still good there.