Dogs on Lorient

California

SBH Member
We had a great time in St. Barths recently. The beaches were beautiful and considering the time of year (first 2 weeks of August) the weather was not too hot (and there were no hurricanes!).

One minor quibble is dogs on the beaches.

IMG_20190803_175009.jpg

IMG_20190803_175001.jpg

I met this unaccompanied guy on L'Orient. He seemed very friendly, but he did leave a "present" on the beach. You could argue: "how do you know it came from him?". Fair point. I can only say for sure it didn't come from me, but he seems a likely suspect. I wish folks would monitor their dogs and cleanup after them. I noticed this (not a lot) a few times on various beaches (L'Orient, Flamand, Governouer). You used to see dogs and cigarettes on San Diego beaches 20 years back. They clamped down on both and it made the beaches a lot nicer.

I love dogs myself (I have one!) but am not sure they belong at the beach. If they do, it would be nice if they are well monitored.
---End of Rant---

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 5.49.02 PM.png

"Les animaux sont strictement interdits sur toutes les plages de Saint-Barthélemy pour des raisons d'hygiene. Tout contrevenant s'exposera à une amende."

Dog feces on the beach is nasty and exposes humans to hookworms.

Dog owners should be more responsible and caring of their pets and their fellow beach users.

We are loving, responsible dog owners and have had many over the last 30+ years. But, it’s simply irresponsible, selfish and inconsiderate of the dog owners to be so lax...plain and simple.

As a former & responsible dog owner...Eng Springer & Boykin spaniel, I would definitely clean up if had either dog on a beach anywhere. I don't see a collar, perhaps a loose dog & no owner ?

Best dogs EVER!!
Do you know the Boykin breed...? Our state dog of SC, smaller than a springer, solid color liver, webbed feet for swimming just like springers, shiny copper penny eyes that glow in the dark...our Boykin not as laid back as Tugger our liver & white springer, both loved lots.

Just googled Boykin, they are adorable! We’ve had 5 ESS in our marriage, 4 were liver/white (my fave), including our current Charlie. Last three were from Mid-Atlantic ESS rescue, a great organization. We occasionally help with transportation.

Charlie after a quick a dip in the Ohio River last weekend:

760495F0-BCE8-4DE5-9880-98FD2EE82977.jpg

Handsome. Lots of Charlie’s mentioned in the forum. That was Phil’s dog’s name when I met him

Just googled Boykin, they are adorable! We’ve had 5 ESS in our marriage, 4 were liver/white (my fave), including our current Charlie. Last three were from Mid-Atlantic ESS rescue, a great organization. We occasionally help with transportation.

Charlie after a quick a dip in the Ohio River last weekend:

View attachment 50145

So handsome, summer cut ! Our Tugger was liver/white, named after Tug McGraw. Boykins oh my what faces & looks but all puppies/dogs do to melt your heart. Boykin has a rescue op too, I buy the rescue calendars every year, have the Boykin license plate state issued, low # so have had awhile.

So handsome, summer cut ! Our Tugger was liver/white, named after Tug McGraw. Boykins oh my what faces & looks but all puppies/dogs do to melt your heart. Boykin has a rescue op too, I buy the rescue calendars every year, have the Boykin license plate state issued, low # so have had awhile.
Many puppies down south without homes. Our boy Scout came up from Kentucky. He and his sibblings were found under an abandoned house.

Marybeth, Charlie is very handsome! What would we do without our fur babies?! Couldn’t live without them!

We have been owned by Boykins for many years! First one from South Carolina and second from Arkansas. Our first lived 25 years. Our second is about 5. Sammy and Deia.

We have been owned by Boykins for many years! First one from South Carolina and second from Arkansas. Our first lived 25 years. Our second is about 5. Sammy and Deia.
I had Danny as a kid, my grandfather had a SC hunter friend who knew the breed, delivered by my grandparents from Detroit to Atlanta, my grandmother held the puppy under her fur coat, he lived to 15 at least, Chessie made it to 12 & a couple of yrs living in Bluffton SC with us...she had doggy dementia. 25 yrs oh my must be a record. Beautiful dogs Hopper, take a look at Boykin Spaniel Rescue.

Wow, that is one adorable dog, MaryBeth! I really don't know this breed; we have always had black labs, but I will definitely look up the breed. You never know where that will lead! Thanks for sharing him with us!

English springers in the UK have long tails, used for hunting, not docked tails like most are here in the USA. Our liver & white springer was from a backyard breeder, the woman who was the head of the behaviour clinic at the U of PA vet school we were seeing for a cat issue told us some springers have agressive behavior from one famous line of show dogs so we showed her the lineage & got an ok since the culprit dog/s were way back. Tugger named after Tug McGraw was the most laid back wonderful dog anyone would want. I was painting needlepoint designs at the time & he got into my paint tubes chose a red, that was all over his legs etc...anywhere that was white was red. So after calling the vet hotline I spoke too with the behavior director who when I told her said 'you didn't like his color choice ?' And he was never sick from the paint !

Your dog is so gorgeous! That story is hilarious, Nancy! I love needlepoint, too, and used to paint some canvases after some lessons..you reminded me of that..from when I had better vision! My son is still bugging me to finish his Christmas stocking from 1988:laughing-cry: