Construction

Hawke

Senior Insider
When you arrive to a villa where there is construction going on close by, do you talk to the crews? And do you find that they try to cooperate? Especially early morning and into the evening?

Very good question, Kent!

I would think that talking to the crews isn't going to be very satisfactory . . . they're just following the schedules set for them and, I expect, aren't really at liberty to vary them.

Probably of greater chance for some change -- talk to the foreman or architect. I've seen people get some small variance in construction work by doing so.

We have talked to the construction people just to meet them. They have deadlines and don’t believe anything can be done about what is done when.

Years ago. Once above St Jean and another year at the top of Colombier; crews were starting power tools before 7am. Each time I asked politely, that they wait until at least that time to begin louder noise. Each time they cooperated, we were able to enjoy breakfast and be on our way to the beach.

We have talked to the construction people just to meet them. They have deadlines and don’t believe anything can be done about what is done when.
Obviously construction is important. Do not think there would be much construction without tourists,

I wave and smile to them most of the time.Progress means adjustments and compromises. However, I honestly admit I do sometimes grimace and bite my tongue.

The ack acks and the leaf blowers push my buttons. But as Phil reminds me, "IT IS WHAT IT IS and get over it!!"

I think that construction work, according to local law, is not allowed to start before 7 AM. And no work on Sundays.

When you arrive to a villa where there is construction going on close by, do you talk to the crews? And do you find that they try to cooperate? Especially early morning and into the evening?

That's funny... the only ones who could have done something prior to your arrival would have been the rental agency or whomever rented you the house.... they could have suggested going somewhere else ....

That's funny... the only ones who could have done something prior to your arrival would have been the rental agency or whomever rented you the house.... they could have suggested going somewhere else ....

Probably.

These grids for work hours and ack-ack work hours seem to still be valid (been in place for a long time):

General Work Rules

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 11.53.33 AM.png

High and Holiday Season Rules

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 11.53.59 AM.png

. . . love the detail, Cass! Thanks for your sleuthing.

I’d like to add that “things change,” as Liza Minelli sang with heartfelt poignancy in a New York concert at Carnegie Hall shortly after her mother’s death. The relevance in this case is that noise may begin in the vicinity of a villa rental after a reservation is initiated, unbeknownst to an owner (direct rentals) or when an agent is involved . . . so I think that it’s a mistake to assume that a Villa owner &/or rental agent is being avaricious &/or otherwise insensitive to a client’s sensibilities. I recommend, thus, that the first line of complaint be directed to the rental contact . . . who may be unaware of the problem.

There will be construction near where I am staying in November. I have been fully informed, and will choose to ignore the construction as much as possible. I will also choose to get my morning musing done before 07:00, LOL.

I hear them and work around them.i can ignore, change my locale, or go out and explore. Lunch works too.

...Yesterday morning in Provincetown brought a very different pre-Dorian dawn, with brilliant sunset colors (red sky in morning...) which I do not have a photo of.

The previous day's sunset over a boat that you and some others here know...
IMG_9599.jpg
(old model iPhone pic, so excuse the quality)