Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good 'Ol American Airlines!

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2014 Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 640

Re: Good 'Ol American Airlines!

Quote Originally Posted by Carfell36 View Post
    So maybe connecting through Miami instead of Charlotte might be the better option since it sounds like AA is doing that regardless? 😂 my only concern is the 1 hour 10 min layover, hopefully thatís enough time?
    If your CLT flight will stick, you will be fine. If you end up through MIA, you usually wonít arrive on SXM until 4 pm or later. You canít fly into SBH after dark, so the last flights over are typically between 5 and 5:30 pm. If youíre even a little late, youíll get stuck in SXM for the night. Thatís why we swear by Premium IV...been there, done that! Plus, when we land in MIA, it takes forever to walk to the international part. Avoid MIA if you can. When AA switched us this time to go through there, we got our money back with no penalties and switched to Delta.

Once you go to the island, youíll see why itís worth the trouble (no understatement there!) to get there.

Weíve had good luck with the Delta ATL flight before, and praying that continues.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,700

Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post
    Airline drama = Extra night is my formula!
    I plan for airline drama. I have the flexibility to plan in an overnight each way, and I do. I get to San Juan, and I plan to spend the night there. If I book it right, I can actually save a few bucks. If I book it wrong, it costs me a few bucks, which I mentally write off to cost-averaging over time, lol.

So bottom line I should just pick one and hope for the best!

Yes, up until the time it takes off. Ha, ha.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,700

Correct. You now have a better understanding of the US airline industry.

Based on past experience, with an understanding that DL's low season schedule appeared to me to sometimes be an estimation of an approximation of what they might like to fly, I would stick with AA. DL was more reliable with their schedule this year than they have been in past years, but I no longer trust them (and I was a Platinum level DL FF for years).

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,444

And now, our return flight has been cancelled and replaced routing through MIA with an overnight!

Dear Valued American Express Customer,

There has been a change to your travel itinerary due to an airline schedule notification. Your flight times may have changed or it may just be a flight number change. Please review your new itinerary carefully. If you need more information, or this change significantly impacts your trip, please contact American Express Customer Service at 800-297-2977.

option 1 Sat, 7 Dec - American Airlines 2219 - 3h 21m Departing: Princess Juliana Intl Airport, Philipsburg (SXM) at 5:17 pm Arriving: Miami Airport (MIA) at 7:38 pm --------Long Connection--Transit Time: 12h 10m-------- Sun, 8 Dec - American Airlines 4368 - 3h 10m Departing: Miami Airport (MIA) at 7:48 am Arriving: Austin Bergstrom Airport (AUS) at 9:58 am

option 2 refund

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,074

I just checked on Travelocity and United has service on Dec. 7 from SXM to AUS through EWR. Leaves SXM 1:55 PM and gets to AUS at 11:18 PM. Price for one way is $287 p/p for what they call basic economy, but you only add $30 p/p for what they call economy. Don't know if this works for you, but you should check it out.

Phil

thanks Phil

i checked delta no luck. Got busy with work and hadn’t had a chance to check United

Problem 1. I can’t get to SXM in time for that flight on SBC

I just checked Winair and they have several flights that day that gets you to SXM when you need to be there. Price is $124 p/p, which is not much more that SBC. Worst case, you might have to eat your SBC tickets, but you get home the same day.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil62 View Post
    I just checked Winair and they have several flights that day that gets you to SXM when you need to be there. Price is $124 p/p, which is not much more that SBC. Worst case, you might have to eat your SBC tickets, but you get home the same day.

Phil

Yeah, I'm on WA's website now. Doable but gotta check with the boss and see what see prefers. I should tell her we can get home in 1 day but we have to stay an extra day and come home Sunday...

That would be my move!!!

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 841

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Got a Flight Schedule change email this morning. I guess I should be happy that I was notified.

AA eliminated the 5:00 AM AUS-CLT flight on 11-27.

Changed my AUS-CLT-SXM outbound flight to AUS-MIA-SXM. My original schedule had me in SXM by 2:30 to catch the 4:00 St Barths Commuter.

The new schedule arrives in SXM at 4:30. No Bueno!

Thankfully, I booked with AMEX on points. So a call to AMEX and I was able to change to a less than ideal but workable solution.

11-26: AUS-CLT

Overnight at the CLT Sheraton on points.

11-27: CLT-SXM arriving at 2:30.

The upside is I won't have to wake up at 3:00 AM to start my vaca!

Check your flights, people!
    Dennis, exactly what I post about American Airlines, exactly so once again, check your flights & I would do weekly. Dennis did you get this info in your AA profile ? I was in mine & noticed that we had yet another sked change on our flights in Dec, SAV CLT SJU still ok with a few minutes change, but the return STT CLT SAV became STT MIA aka UGH SAV...so between Aug 26 when had AA make changes to our outbound date to SJU, & 9/3 the sked change. NOT happy about MIA which as we all know is miserable, but the option was STT DFW SAV which would have added 3+ hrs to that actual flight time. Something must be going on at CLT to have these changes happening ?

nancy,

We booked the flights using AMEX points so AMEX notified us.

Quote Originally Posted by NancySC View Post
    Something must be going on at CLT to have these changes happening ?
    Since Irma, we’ve had flights to SXM from Philly and Charlotte changed to Miami. I’m assuming the traffic going there doesn’t justify multiple flights for now. If they’re going to do that for the foreseeable future, it would be nice if they’d schedule the MIA plane to leave a little earlier.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,308

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Miami should be your last resort. Check with those who have gone thru there.
    The perspective is interesting, Andy. Personally, in transit to / from JAX, I much prefer MIA to CLT with AA Layovers at CLT are so much longer! (Thereís only so much guacamole that one can take at the Admirals Club as a 3 - 4 hour wait is endured, even if MIA distances are extraordinary.)

Using the Google, lot's of AA's problems with scheduling is a result of the 737 Max 8 issues.

Yes, the 737 Max issues have created schedule changes for my family for Christmas travel out west.....American accommodated us on other flights with no problem
    Steve and Aimee

Cancellations extended through Dec. 3
    American Airlines remains confident that impending software updates to the Boeing 737 MAX, along with the new training elements Boeing is developing in coordination with our union partners, will lead to recertification of the aircraft this year. We are in continuous contact with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and other regulatory authorities.
    American is extending cancellations for the MAX through Dec. 3. By doing so, our customers and team members can more reliably plan their upcoming travel on American. In total, approximately 140 flights per day will be canceled through Dec. 3.
    Our Reservations and Sales teams will continue to work closely with customers who are impacted by these cancellations.

SBH Member Joined: Oct 2017 Posts: 17

Who wants to fly in the Max 8 even if they do clear them to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Who wants to fly in the Max 8 even if they do clear them to fly!
    Right? I can imagine people at the gate and suddenly realizing the plane they are about to board is a Max 8 and wanting a refund/flight change.

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 841

nancy,

We booked the flights using AMEX points so AMEX notified us.
    Dennis,
    No AA profile about you that you can go to to check up on 'tings ? I didn't get a personal email or text, but saw in my AA profile that 'you've had changes, here's what they are' king of message in red print no less ! Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by NancySC View Post
    Dennis,
    No AA profile about you that you can go to to check up on 'tings ? I didn't get a personal email or text, but saw in my AA profile that 'you've had changes, here's what they are' king of message in red print no less ! Nancy
    Actually, On AA.com there is a message that something has changed but it still shows my return flight thru CLT and home in 1 day.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,522

Welcome to the 21st century communications via technology world! Pathetic
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

So we've completly cancelled the flights that American changed us to that would require an overnight each way.

We now will fly to SXM on 11-26 and over night there since we can't get there utill 4:30.

We'll head over to Grand Case and stay at the GCBC for the night and have a nice dinner there where we will feel like we are on vacation time as opposed to staying at the Charlotte Sheraton.

We'll fly from Grand Case the next morning and arrive around 10 AM, have a nice lunch and head to the villa whenever it's ready.

On return, instead of flying AA thru MIA and overnighting, we'll fly Delta thru ATL and get home at midnight. Long, late day but I'd rather plop into MY bed and wake up in ATX than stay at the MIA airport hotel and fly home the following day.

AMEX and AA were very helpful with allowing me to cancel and I recouped all my AMEX points back, credited immediatly and rebooked using them.

Waiting to hear back from SBC on changing my flight.

It's just insane that when it come to SBH, you can't get there from here...in 1 day!

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 311

It's just insane that when it come to SBH, you can't get there from here...in 1 day!
    We're about 150 miles closer than you, but the SXM route is still tight (1am wakeup for a 3am drive to the airport, etc...). Thought we found our solution this year. Although expensive, United 10am direct flight from IAH, landing in SJU at 3:45pm and then the 5pm Tradewind. Sun setting, but still arrived.

Next year, the last Tradewind flight is now 4:30pm (45min connection time. Ugh!) so it looks like we either take the red-eye arriving at 5:15am and then the early Tradewind flight or overnight in either SJU, CLT, ATL or SXM.

Simple email to SBC and flight changed.

Now after all that, I'm sure AA or Delta won't change flights again...RIGHT?

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,522

One can only hope.

Dennis, all agree that air travel is not what it used to be. Totally unreliable. Buyer, beware!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,343

Simple email to SBC and flight changed.
    They are so great to work with. Love SBC!