Thread: Jimny vs Ignis; Auto vs. Manual?

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2019 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 44

Jimny vs Ignis; Auto vs. Manual?

I'm finally getting around to reserving our rental car for November. In the past we've rented a Suzuki Jimny with manual transmission and have had no concerns or complaints. This year I'm considering renting an Ignis instead. Does anyone have any pros/cons between the two models?

Also, regardless of which car model we rent, we're considering auto over manual transmission. In the past it seems that auto just never had enough oomph to get up the hills, but maybe the new model cars have shown some improvement?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be most appreciated!

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2009 Houston, Texas Posts: 371

Re: Jimny vs Ignis; Auto vs. Manual?

Your lucky if you can rent a Manuel jimny.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2013 NJ Posts: 117

When you say the auto didn't have enough power, were sliding it over to manual mode? In the past we've rented some tiny Kias and Hyundais, and kicking them over to manual mode was always enough to get us where we wanted. However, we weren't staying at a villa that had a horrendously steep driveway (which I know some do).

Quote Originally Posted by KZ1300A1 View Post
    Your lucky if you can rent a Manuel jimny.
    We rented one from Turbé in February, and they're still advertising it on their website. Perhaps the website isn't up to date? I should probably email them to see if they still rent it.

Quote Originally Posted by tritter95 View Post
    When you say the auto didn't have enough power, were sliding it over to manual mode? In the past we've rented some tiny Kias and Hyundais, and kicking them over to manual mode was always enough to get us where we wanted. However, we weren't staying at a villa that had a horrendously steep driveway (which I know some do).
    I apologize - my original post wasn't clear. We have never rented an auto transmission on SBH. I meant to imply that it "seems like" it wouldn't have enough power. Using the manual mode sounds like a good option to use it when needed, don't worry about shifting when you don't need it.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,506

I haven’t driven a stick on SBH in decades. I’ve never had a problem with an AWD automatic on the hills.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,866

Maruti Suzuki has redesigned the Ignis after they stopped production two years ago. It just did not sell well. Their Baleno was the one that caught on which is neither here nor there to your question.
    We only rent from Odile at Gumbs and several years ago, she told us the she no longer had Jimmys as production was halted. She switched us to Hyundai Terios. We used manual the first couple of years on the island and then switched to only automatics. We go up steep hills, such as the alternative, off the beaten path, to and from le Toiny, and have never had a problem, (even with slick roads in the rain). You may not have a choice as at least at Gumbs, the Jimmys have no longer been offered to us for the last several years.
    Have you considered renting a Moke?

https://guru.isleblue.co/en/articles...ke-on-st-barts

Isn’t this a Jimny? If so, just rented one 2 weeks ago from Odile.
    Name:  538EF7B1-DB7E-4E94-BF5D-5DCD36B1FFB4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  311.0 KB

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 570

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    I haven’t driven a stick on SBH in decades. I’ve never had a problem with an AWD automatic on the hills.
    When we were younger always wanted a moke, then a Jimmy. The downsides were whenever it decided to rain and cats getting in at night and doing their business. Now a car that gets us to the beaches and restaurants is all we need.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2002 pittsburgh Posts: 262

We have rented from Gumbs for years and like Odile. We have rented a Jimny for February 2020. Your post startled me, so I checked their site and they have Jimny's listed as current inventory.
    George

Renting a Moke would be such a hoot! But alas, the car-rental "row" in my SBH excel spreadsheet doesn't accept that high of a dollar amount.

Thanks for all the insights - we just made a reservation with Turbé for the Jimny manual as they gave us an outstanding price for being a repeat customer. My husband always seems to have so much fun driving that car around the island - I would hate to take away some of his vacation glee!

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2010 Indiana Posts: 230

On two of our first three visits to the island we rented a soft top manual Jimny and absolutely loved it!(the first visit we rented a Smart car--I don't recommend it) Unfortunately the soft tops are impossible to find any more (or at least that's what all the renters tell me). We would take the vinyl/plastic top off that thing the second we left the airport and not put it on until the day we returned it! The rains at night would fill the cup holders with water, and sometimes the seats were a little damp but we didn't care as were were simply driving daily from beach to beach and loving every minute of it! Man I miss those cars!

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,364

This thread served as a reminder that I haven't booked my Jimny for my upcoming trip!

Email to Odile sent!

Merci!

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,364

Auto BTW.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,196

Quote Originally Posted by leep75 View Post
    On two of our first three visits to the island we rented a soft top manual Jimny and absolutely loved it!(the first visit we rented a Smart car--I don't recommend it) Unfortunately the soft tops are impossible to find any more (or at least that's what all the renters tell me). We would take the vinyl/plastic top off that thing the second we left the airport and not put it on until the day we returned it! The rains at night would fill the cup holders with water, and sometimes the seats were a little damp but we didn't care as were were simply driving daily from beach to beach and loving every minute of it! Man I miss those cars!
    convertible mini cooper?

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,213

Ellen you are spot on-minis have taken over the island as the fun ride
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,002

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Ellen you are spot on-minis have taken over the island as the fun ride
    So much so I had to make my island dream ride a reality on the island of Austin, Texas!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2009 Houston, Texas Posts: 371

Odile was out of Jimnys when we arrived. We ended up with a 4 door mini country wide. Really too big for the island unless you have kids. AWD and Lots of power for going up hills but unless you need the space its just a target for dings. I think someone might have already backed into us.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2010 Indiana Posts: 230

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    convertible mini cooper?
    We did rent a mini once. Still prefer the Jimny, but really I don't care what I have as long as it's beat up. No new rental for me please!

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 294

We did a Fiat 500 for about an hour, but been Jimny (auto, with plenty of downshifting) people ever since.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,866

I stand corrected. I must have misunderstood Odile. Also Terios are made by Daihatsu not Hyundai, as I incorrectly stated above.

Have not rented a manual in years. As long as the tires are decent you should not have a problem. We have rented the Mini Cooper for 3 years now. Amazing.