Thread: Trip news

Trip news

Arrived on 8/9 after hour delay taking off from PHL. Thought I would miss my Winair connection,but after doing an OJ thru the airport finally found Winair desk and they booked us thru on next flight. Thx Winair. SXM airport still confusing which is why Tradewind is doing so good in SBH. Can't believe how many I have seen the last few days. Island looks good as showers the prior 2 weeks greener it up. No rain since we arrived. So far have had great meals at Pearl Beach, Le Piment, Nikki Beach(Sunday Funday) and great meal at Maya's. Today will be break from the beach and a lazy day in Gustavia with a stop for lunch. Beaches have been great and traffic light.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,213

Re: Trip news

You are doing fine-on a roll. Delighted to learn the island is greening up again.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,101

Going strong! Have fun.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 1,348

Sounds like a great start! Keep enjoying...and posting about your adventures.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 385

Quote Originally Posted by davesxm View Post
    Arrived on 8/9 after hour delay taking off from PHL. Thought I would miss my Winair connection,but after doing an OJ thru the airport finally found Winair desk and they booked us thru on next flight. Thx Winair. SXM airport still confusing which is why Tradewind is doing so good in SBH. Can't believe how many I have seen the last few days. Island looks good as showers the prior 2 weeks greener it up. No rain since we arrived. So far have had great meals at Pearl Beach, Le Piment, Nikki Beach(Sunday Funday) and great meal at Maya's. Today will be break from the beach and a lazy day in Gustavia with a stop for lunch. Beaches have been great and traffic light.
    I guess your definition doing an OJ through the airport depends on how old you are. If you are older, I suppose you have a few apologies to make. If you are younger, I think you should avoid SXM and any other country that has an extradition agreement with the Netherlands.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,866

Keep on with your posts and glad all is perfect thus far!

SBH Member Joined: Oct 2002 St. Louis, Missouri USA Posts: 117

STB HOPPER - I agree and applaud your post which is very unusual for me !
    tom

Headed into Gustavia on day 5. There is still some road construction going on near airport runway road, so minor `deviation`, but no real slowdown. As usual difficult to find parking, but finally found a spot near post office. We walked to pavilion and took shelter in shade and just enjoyed watching the boats. Did a bit of shopping and stopped for lunch at Bar L`oubli. I had one of their good burgers and wife had an exotic salad. Always enjoy this place for a drink and people watching. Stopped at the Marche for few supplies on the way and just chilled for the evening. The next day after breakfast headed to the beach near Nikki spending several hours there. Dinner that night at Pearl Beach where I had a tasty Red Snapper and wife had the Scallops. Good meal and perfect atmosphere. May go back for their Friday night dinner party. Not much rain since we got here , which is great for beaches, but a couple night showers would be good for the flora. As always, St. BART`s doesn`t disappoint.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 570

Perfect vacation description.

DAY 7. After a laid back breakfast decided to take a drive thru Lorient and down to Toiny to see how that part of the island is doing. Putting new road in near Jojo Burger and difficult access for them which must be hurting business. A couple of the temp traffic lights in this area, but traffic moves smoothly. DROVE to old La Gloriette area and sad to see the area all fenced in. Stopped at Toiny beach, which looks like they added a new parking area. No one on Beach, but saw a lonely surfer in the distance. Headed back to Maya`s to go for lunch, where we had very tasty scallops and some sides. To St. JEANS beach next for a few hours and then to Le Piment FOR dinner. Their Caesar salad is fantastic. A MUST try. Weather is hot with very little showers, if any.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 570

You had what sounds like a wonderful St.Barts day.

Every day in St. Bart`s is wonderful. Fortunate to be able to spend time here.

Davesxm--you are spot on!

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2011 NY, NY Posts: 157

We would walk through fire to get to Jo Jo Burger!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,002

Quote Originally Posted by krand1 View Post
    We would walk through fire to get to Jo Jo Burger!
    They didn't appear to be hurting for customers while I was there in mid to late July. Both times I dined there it was packed! Once I parked alongside the cemetery and walked around "the block". The other time, I left my car at Les Mouettes (where I was staying) and walked along the sidewalk to the restaurant. It was nice to see Alexandra, who also works at La Bananiers during the day, working nights here. After a lovely chat she shared with me that she and her husband are expecting their first child!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    You are doing fine-on a roll. Delighted to learn the island is greening up again.
    island green, but very little rain in the last week. Looks likE could be more showers in the coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by GramChop View Post
    They didn't appear to be hurting for customers while I was there in mid to late July. Both times I dined there it was packed! Once I parked alongside the cemetery and walked around "the block". The other time, I left my car at Les Mouettes (where I was staying) and walked along the sidewalk to the restaurant. It was nice to see Alexandra, who also works at La Bananiers during the day, working nights here. After a lovely chat she shared with me that she and her husband are expecting their first child!
    Funny you should mention that. On the way to Grand Culde Sac no one was there, but on the way back a crowd had gathered. Glad to see passionate patrons won`t be deterred.

It's fun to read how you're visiting all parts of the island and doing so in very relaxed fashion! "Every day in St. Barths is wonderful!"

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 1,759

Thank you for your update! Sounds like a really nice trip! Do you have any news on how Le Guanahani is coming along? I keep hoping to hear something good, but my friend who was in SBH in April (she stayed at Hotel Christopher and said wonderful things about it, as well as in a villa) did not sound too hopeful about it. Thank you!
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

The latest hope I heard of for the reopening of a totally brand new Guanahani is Christmas of 2020

Have not read or heard any news regarding the Ghanahani, but if I do will post.

DAY 8 began with a quick trip to the Marche for supplies. They now have `deviation` set up to take you thru parking lot and around ball field to get to airport area, traffic moves smoothly so no problem. Decided to see what Lil Roc was all about. Apparently a good idea to reserve chairs ahead of time, but a very nice young lady set us up in no time. Very relaxed atmosphere and no interruption from the continuing construction. You get friendly service to your lounger for drinks and food. A great way to lay back and relax. A little pricey for chairs and lunch, but we all can use a little pampering. At night we headed to Pearl Beach for dinner party. They had a fixed menu which gave you several small portions for each course to taste. Food was excellent as was atmosphere and the DJ playing world EDM music. We left as the party was getting started, as we had a full day. After breakfast the next day just relaxed and chilled. We eventually took a walk into St. Jean village to explore and acquire some gifts for the grand kids. Stopped at Le Piment for tapas and drinks and enjoyed watching soccer with the locals. It was fun watching their passion for the game. Had dinner in (pizza) and relaxed for the evening. Had a couple brief showers, the most all week. Every little bit helps.

Those little showers are such a tease. Let the rains come-but AT NIGHT!

It looks like you guys are still heavy into R & R--be good to yourselves. And of course be good to each other.

Enjoy.

Message from Le Guanahani on May 21, 2019:

Dear friends,

Spring is officially here, which means the weather is warmer, the days are longer, and travel is on the minds of many.

With the start of a new season, our team remains hard at work and filled with optimism! Here’s what we have in store…

We look forward to unveiling many enhancements to our iconic facilities, including new beachfront suites and a spectacular outdoor area featuring an infinity pool. Our new restaurant will welcome guests with a dynamic food & beverage program and unparalleled panoramic views of the island, while staying true to our famous “feet in the sand” vibe. Our spa will also introduce rejuvenating new treatments and beauty and wellness offerings, as well as a new fitness center.

Continuing our tradition as the most family-friendly resort on island, we will launch a new Kid’s Club with exciting educational programs. And to guarantee the privacy for honeymooners and couples alike, we will also be adding more pools to our ocean view suites.

By blending the resort’s newest features with Le Guanahani’s legendary service, the property will come alive with renewed energy. As one of St. Barth’s most beloved icons, our goal is to take the hotel experience to new heights with the same charm and authenticity that so many of our guests have come to know and love – and trust us, it’s worth the wait! We like to think we’re saving the best for last.

We will continue to update you on our progress for our October 2020 opening. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions about Le Guanahani.

Wishing you a lovely spring!

Sunny regards,
    Martein van Wagenberg
    & Le Guanahani Team

Yesterday was another Nikki Beach Sunday funday. Theme was God save the Queen. They played some Beatles and Stones tunes and plenty of dance music. As usual everyone was having a great time. I had a fantastic Mahi Mahi with sweet potato and several drinks. We stayed and partied for several hours then down to the beach to cool off. Another warm day especially when dancing. The good news is overnight there were some substantial showers. The flora will be happy.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 1,348

Quote Originally Posted by davesxm View Post
    Yesterday was another Nikki Beach Sunday funday. Theme was God save the Queen. They played some Beatles and Stones tunes and plenty of dance music. As usual everyone was having a great time. I had a fantastic Mahi Mahi with sweet potato and several drinks. We stayed and partied for several hours then down to the beach to cool off. Another warm day especially when dancing. The good news is overnight there were some substantial showers. The flora will be happy.
    Another fabulous day in paradise! Keep on enjoying and posting!

Gayle