Trip news

davesxm

SBH Member
Arrived on 8/9 after hour delay taking off from PHL. Thought I would miss my Winair connection,but after doing an OJ thru the airport finally found Winair desk and they booked us thru on next flight. Thx Winair. SXM airport still confusing which is why Tradewind is doing so good in SBH. Can't believe how many I have seen the last few days. Island looks good as showers the prior 2 weeks greener it up. No rain since we arrived. So far have had great meals at Pearl Beach, Le Piment, Nikki Beach(Sunday Funday) and great meal at Maya's. Today will be break from the beach and a lazy day in Gustavia with a stop for lunch. Beaches have been great and traffic light.

Arrived on 8/9 after hour delay taking off from PHL. Thought I would miss my Winair connection,but after doing an OJ thru the airport finally found Winair desk and they booked us thru on next flight. Thx Winair. SXM airport still confusing which is why Tradewind is doing so good in SBH. Can't believe how many I have seen the last few days. Island looks good as showers the prior 2 weeks greener it up. No rain since we arrived. So far have had great meals at Pearl Beach, Le Piment, Nikki Beach(Sunday Funday) and great meal at Maya's. Today will be break from the beach and a lazy day in Gustavia with a stop for lunch. Beaches have been great and traffic light.

I guess your definition doing an OJ through the airport depends on how old you are. If you are older, I suppose you have a few apologies to make. If you are younger, I think you should avoid SXM and any other country that has an extradition agreement with the Netherlands.

Headed into Gustavia on day 5. There is still some road construction going on near airport runway road, so minor `deviation`, but no real slowdown. As usual difficult to find parking, but finally found a spot near post office. We walked to pavilion and took shelter in shade and just enjoyed watching the boats. Did a bit of shopping and stopped for lunch at Bar L`oubli. I had one of their good burgers and wife had an exotic salad. Always enjoy this place for a drink and people watching. Stopped at the Marche for few supplies on the way and just chilled for the evening. The next day after breakfast headed to the beach near Nikki spending several hours there. Dinner that night at Pearl Beach where I had a tasty Red Snapper and wife had the Scallops. Good meal and perfect atmosphere. May go back for their Friday night dinner party. Not much rain since we got here , which is great for beaches, but a couple night showers would be good for the flora. As always, St. BART`s doesn`t disappoint.

DAY 7. After a laid back breakfast decided to take a drive thru Lorient and down to Toiny to see how that part of the island is doing. Putting new road in near Jojo Burger and difficult access for them which must be hurting business. A couple of the temp traffic lights in this area, but traffic moves smoothly. DROVE to old La Gloriette area and sad to see the area all fenced in. Stopped at Toiny beach, which looks like they added a new parking area. No one on Beach, but saw a lonely surfer in the distance. Headed back to Maya`s to go for lunch, where we had very tasty scallops and some sides. To St. JEANS beach next for a few hours and then to Le Piment FOR dinner. Their Caesar salad is fantastic. A MUST try. Weather is hot with very little showers, if any.

We would walk through fire to get to Jo Jo Burger!

They didn't appear to be hurting for customers while I was there in mid to late July. Both times I dined there it was packed! Once I parked alongside the cemetery and walked around "the block". The other time, I left my car at Les Mouettes (where I was staying) and walked along the sidewalk to the restaurant. It was nice to see Alexandra, who also works at La Bananiers during the day, working nights here. After a lovely chat she shared with me that she and her husband are expecting their first child!

They didn't appear to be hurting for customers while I was there in mid to late July. Both times I dined there it was packed! Once I parked alongside the cemetery and walked around "the block". The other time, I left my car at Les Mouettes (where I was staying) and walked along the sidewalk to the restaurant. It was nice to see Alexandra, who also works at La Bananiers during the day, working nights here. After a lovely chat she shared with me that she and her husband are expecting their first child!
Funny you should mention that. On the way to Grand Culde Sac no one was there, but on the way back a crowd had gathered. Glad to see passionate patrons won`t be deterred.

It's fun to read how you're visiting all parts of the island and doing so in very relaxed fashion! "Every day in St. Barths is wonderful!"

Thank you for your update! Sounds like a really nice trip! Do you have any news on how Le Guanahani is coming along? I keep hoping to hear something good, but my friend who was in SBH in April (she stayed at Hotel Christopher and said wonderful things about it, as well as in a villa) did not sound too hopeful about it. Thank you!

The latest hope I heard of for the reopening of a totally brand new Guanahani is Christmas of 2020