Island events first half of August (August 1 - 14, 2019). Especially events for kids

California

SBH Member
We will be on St. Barths from August 1st to the 14th. Does anyone know of any events/attractions at that time, especially kid friendly events. I did try and check the local newspaper (on this site) but didn't see that they had issues for August. I seem to recall they don't publish year round. I realize we are going at an unpopular time so it may be quite dead which has its merits! For those new to the island with kids, I can recommend

1. Walk to Columbier (early in morning before it gets too hot. About 1 mile)
2. Petite Ainse
3. Playground next to stadium in Gustavia
4. St. Jean beach
5. Lorient beach
6. Flamand beach can be rough water for little kids. Older kids might enjoy the waves.

I also need a car rental and wrote a separate post about that.

Thanks!
Andrew

The young children of my visiting friends have never tired of “play” (whatever their ages) at St. Jean & Lorient beaches . . . meeting & developing (seemingly) instant friendships with other young people.

Even when they speak different languages they play and get along. Amazing to watch...lessons to be learned there.

We spent two weeks in June with our 8 and 6 year olds. We hiked to Colombier (loved it), snorkled everywhere possible, went to the playground, walked on the harbor, did a "driving island tour", and played on the beaches. They were never bored. Shell was a particular favorite - they had inflatable ring floats and loved riding the waves. If the yacht Pipe Dream is in port, check it out at night - there are underwater lights that attract huge fish! There's also new pavement/walking paths along Grand Fond that are fun to explore, and the views are amazing.

CA, If you see references to St Barth Family Festival taking place towards the end of your visit, it is probably not what you’re looking for. It’s a music event, with mostly DJ music, and a little live music too.

Sunset at the lighthouse and/or behind the hospital might be fun. Lots of space for the kiddos to run around and play.

Also, don't avoid Saline or Gouverneur beaches. Both are great for kids.

How old are they?

We will be on St. Barths from August 1st to the 14th. Does anyone know of any events/attractions at that time, especially kid friendly events. I did try and check the local newspaper (on this site) but didn't see that they had issues for August. I seem to recall they don't publish year round. I realize we are going at an unpopular time so it may be quite dead which has its merits! For those new to the island with kids, I can recommend

1. Walk to Columbier (early in morning before it gets too hot. About 1 mile)
2. Petite Ainse
3. Playground next to stadium in Gustavia
4. St. Jean beach
5. Lorient beach
6. Flamand beach can be rough water for little kids. Older kids might enjoy the waves.

I also need a car rental and wrote a separate post about that.

Thanks!
Andrew

we use Gumbs for car rental Odile is delightful & attentive gumbs.car.rental@wanadoo.fr

Besides the things listed previously-
A daily trip to the Boulangerie to purchase 'St. Barts Donuts' is a must!
Early in the morning at the dock in Gustavia where the fishermen sell their fish is fun to see and if you have some stale bread or whatever feeding the Tarpon there is interesting to watch.
Bring at least masks if not fins and snorkels to see the sea turtles at Colombier. Keep an eye out for tortoises on the way to Colombier.
If you dine at Grain de Sel- lunch- you may see an iguana or two and maybe a large tortoise.
Manypany has feet in sand tables, a nice swimming pool and beach. great for any meal but especially Sunday brunches. Reserve in advance.
Finally although it is obvious, picking up steaks and seafood from a place like Meat My Fish which is on the way to Pte. Milou and grilling them at your Villa, if you are renting one is always a hit. They also barbecue on certain days and their food is delicious.
Agree http://gumbs-car-rental.com

Last time we were at St Jean there were a few kids entertaining themselves on Seabobs (I think that is what they are called:thinking1:?) by Eden Rock. Looked like those kids could have enjoyed those for hours and hours and hours...And this "youngster" just about rented one for himself since they looked like so much fun...