Thread: Sea Turtles

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2013 Davidson, NC Posts: 102

Sea Turtles

6:00 am hike/snorkel excursion to Colombier yesterday- normally snorkel to the left but there were several overnight campers under the blue tarp that were being a bit vocal— so we walked on the beach to the right side. As we did, approached these very large turtle tracks and saw she had layed her nest (I’m sure that is not the proper word) at the dunes. Quite amazing and happy to see! (Pics to come but not able to download for some reason)? Clear, calm waters and saw more fish than I have in many years as well as two sea turtles and a very large sting ray. Proceeded to Lorient and once we found the best entrance to the water (midway on the beach) quickly saw two more young turtles and many fish. So nice to see the coral growing and coming to life again. Dinner at La Langouste with conch fritters, escargot, gazpacho, and Duck Entre- enjoyed by all! The perfect day. As my first time St Barts visitors departed today, they all agreed that they understand why I return to this paradise each year. Now... on to enjoy every moment of my last few days...

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,678

Re: Sea Turtles

You sure are keeping busy. Share your joy in showing newbies around.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,265

What a wonderful start!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,207

Duck at La Langouste has been wonderful . . . though Les Bananiers is pretty great!

Loved your report, BTW. However, I didn’t understand something. “6:00 am” . . . what’s that?

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Duck at La Langouste has been wonderful . . . though Les Bananiers is pretty great!

Loved your report, BTW. However, I didn’t understand something. “6:00 am” . . . what’s that?
    It’s to see sunset and get down the mountain and back before the heat of the day begins! Most days, naps in the afternoon by the pool are on the schedule!

Oops— SunRISE... not Sunset.. and thanks for the recommendation — Duck is one of my favorites to try here.

Name:  CD3A8561-90E4-44B5-BA88-539E1D4EBBF4.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  653.1 KB

Momma Turtle tracks!

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 10,001

Views: 337
Size:  655.6 KB

Thank you, Dennis - for flipping my photo. I’m a “beginner” in posting photos on the forum!

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 10,001

Quote Originally Posted by Nane22 View Post
    Thank you, Dennis - for flipping my photo. I’m a “beginner” in posting photos on the forum!
    My pleasure. Keep the content coming!

Nanette, you rock!

Ain’t too proud to beg. Thanks Dennis for helping.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,207

It’s to see sunset and get down the mountain and back before the heat of the day begins! Most days, naps in the afternoon by the pool are on the schedule!
    Afternoon naps . . . my best friend on SBH!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,851

What a fantastic day, Nanette! The light at 6:00am is beautiful and the colors of the sky and water change as the sun rises...just stunning!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 1,348

Nanette, living in NC, perhaps you're familiar with the author Mary Alice Monroe who lives in SC nr Charleston ? One of her books is about the turtle rescue operation/hospital within the aquarium in Charleston. There's another rescue place on Jekyll Island, GA, where we've visited & from the bookstore you can look into the OR as the team works on rescues.

I love the sea turtle rescue work described by the late great author Pat Conroy in BEACH MUSIC.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 2,172

Views: 360
Size:  653.1 KB

Momma Turtle tracks!
    Nan, what a great capture!! Oh, the things we can see in the earlier hours in the day...love that.

Nancy- I will look her up when I return to that area! I grew up on St Simons Island and have always had a fascination with the beautiful sea turtles. I’m known as the “Turtle Lady” in my family and have been lucky enough to see several midnight hatchings. Just magnificent! Amy- Beach Music is in my top 5 favorite books ever- and enjoyed all of Pat Conroy’s books.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,684

If you should happen to run across fresh sea turtle tracks again, let the Marine Reserve know. They want to protect the nests as much as possible, and to monitor them.

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 1,348

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    I love the sea turtle rescue work described by the late great author Pat Conroy in BEACH MUSIC.
    A young woman in our town of Bluffton, SC, Amber Kuehn is the head of the turtle project on Hilton Head, eco boat tours in this area, I think she never sleeps !

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 932

Nancy- I will look her up when I return to that area! I grew up on St Simons Island and have always had a fascination with the beautiful sea turtles. I’m known as the “Turtle Lady” in my family and have been lucky enough to see several midnight hatchings. Just magnificent! Amy- Beach Music is in my top 5 favorite books ever- and enjoyed all of Pat Conroy’s books.
    I thought for sure that was going to be a really cool, exotic location in the Polynesian Islands...until I Googled it...South Georgia...

p.s. it still looks nice