"Once Upon a Town" by Bob Greene

julianne

Senior Insider
I don't know how I missed this book when it was published in 2002 but I am glad I finally discovered it!. The true story of a small town along the rail line that in WWII brought GIs across the country. It is a love story depicting how the people of North Platte, Nebraska not only gave food and drink but also hugs and handshakes to the GIs when the trains briefly stopped at the depot. Many of the troops were young---18,19---and away from home for the first time. Scared about war and trying not to show it. Weary and disheveled from days on a troop train. The author interviewed people who served troops at the North Platte canteen and he spoke to GIs who experienced the warmth of the welcome there. I think my father probably was on one of those trains because he traveled west to serve in the Pacific. All in all, the little town, with help from surrounding farm communities, served six million GIs and met every troop train for the duration of the war. If you haven't already read it, do so----I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Love when gems like this one are shared among a reading community.It is ON MY LIST. Thanks so much.