Favorite Past and Present

Hawke

Senior Insider
Which would you pick? Combination of location, hospitality of owner and staff, and quality of food and value.

Sopotillier under Adam, Andy Hall’s Hideaway, Santa Fe under Manu. Piperi Palace with Pierro and his Blues in the Background.

L’Isola, Maya's, l’Esprit

But as Phil says, so many restaurants

Past: Wallhouse, The Hideaway

Present: Bananiers, L’Isola

Hoping to still love spending the day at Guanahani with lunch when it reopens.

So many places come to mind. Going waaayyyy back, Vincent Adam was a prize (such great soufflés!). Les Castelets, any time (breakfast, lunch, & dinner). La Cremailliere (old world, kitchen-like setting, with classic French cuisine). Le Flamboyant (sweeping view of Grand Cul de Sac . . . venue of Albert Balayn before La Gloriette). Chez Francine (original “toes in the sand” setting, with alternative dining on a platform floating in St. Jean Bay). Also on St Jean, Beach Club (large lobster aquarium) & Le Pelican (think of a 70s version of Nikki Beach). Dining “on the Rock” (Eden Rock, when still under ownership of Remy de Haenen). L’Entrepont (dense tropical setting in the garden & on the porch of a French Colonial style residence at far side of Gustavia harbor). La Normandie Hotel (couscous in tiki-bar setting). Trois Forces (Mt. Vitet setting, with sweeping Grand Cul de Sac view & incredibly good & bargain-priced wine list). Paradisio. New Born.

Today . . . surviving over 35 years, Maya’s.

I'm with Lance (literally and figuratively) ... Vincent Adam .... and I have his recipe for Creme' Brûlée. Though to quote Gille "You can't
get French cream so it won't be the same." I can only guess that French cream has a higher fat content than "American" cream. Does anyone know the difference?

Wall House with Franc and Dennis ranks right up there.

I am overwhelmed with good old memories and looking forward to adding new listings to my memory bank.

So many places come to mind. Going waaayyyy back, Vincent Adam was a prize (such great soufflés!). Les Castelets, any time (breakfast, lunch, & dinner). La Cremailliere (old world, kitchen-like setting, with classic French cuisine). Le Flamboyant (sweeping view of Grand Cul de Sac . . . venue of Albert Balayn before La Gloriette). Chez Francine (original “toes in the sand” setting, with alternative dining on a platform floating in St. Jean Bay). Also on St Jean, Beach Club (large lobster aquarium) & Le Pelican (think of a 70s version of Nikki Beach). Dining “on the Rock” (Eden Rock, when still under ownership of Remy de Haenen). L’Entrepont (dense tropical setting in the garden & on the porch of a French Colonial style residence at far side of Gustavia harbor). La Normandie Hotel (couscous in tiki-bar setting). Trois Forces (Mt. Vitet setting, with sweeping Grand Cul de Sac view & incredibly good & bargain-priced wine list). Paradisio. New Born.

Today . . . surviving over 35 years, Maya’s.

Dennis, Cremailliere was one of the places we went on our very 1st trip to SBH tucked back from the street, was good ! Bottom rung of ladder was Vaval...so bad...pre-dated The Hideaway. And before Bonito, name escapes me, couple tables out over the pool that was there...boeuf carpaccio so good there. And New Born, La Marine, long ago so good ! Dates might have been for those ?
e