Favorite Past and Present

I liked the vibe there too. We also liked Zanzibarth from days ago.

Zanzibarth opened on the St. Jean hillside at the former location of a restaurant named “Le Colonial” for the 2002 / 2003 season. The book “Case et Cuisine” likened its white walls, white furniture, & large canvases of contemporary art to trends then coming out of Santa Monica & West Hollywood. It also had the most beautiful bathrooms and was worth a trip to the restaurant simply to see their elegant, chic design in days when les toilettes generally were merely functional. The restaurant did not last long, but was re-opened sometime later as “Le Z” by Mick Proust, who also was proprietor at K’fe Massai, where the bartender was Terrail (Mick’s cousin, I recall).

The restaurants were innovative & indeed did have a good “vibe,” including late evening DJ music, for a time. K’fe Massai was a particularly “chill” spot for an after dinner drink (always with a generous “pour”).

The restaurants were innovative & indeed did have a good “vibe,” including late evening DJ music, for a time. K’fe Massai was a particularly “chill” spot for an after dinner drink (always with a generous “pour”).
Chill is the perfect adjective for them. I had never seen such chic bathrooms before coming to that island.

Hibiscus before that?

The pool was in active use when It was Hotel L'Hibiscus. The name transition as I remember it was Hotel L'Hibiscus, Le Vieux Clocher, La Mandala, and now Bonito.

The Hotel was managed by Natasha, and the two waiters who I remember were Bernard and Denis, who alternated seasons between St Barth and St Tropez.

Le Vieux Clocher was run by Remy de Haenen's daughter for about 2 years.

Chill is the perfect adjective for them. I had never seen such chic bathrooms before coming to that island.

The most “unique” bathroom on the island was at the old “Top of the Rock” restaurant at Eden Rock ... you went down a steep stairway on the ocean side of the restaurant (North) to a bathroom carved into the rock wall! During the day it had one of the best views on the island.

I loved the lighting in the faucets of the Carl Gustaf...neon colors to wash your hands in was quite novel at the time. Lovely facilities and a welcoming staff.

I loved when Guanahani had individually wrapped Guerlain (I think) towelettes/hand wipes in their restrooms. They smelled sooooooo good.

Kevin’s recollections are spot-on. We often used to go to L’Hibiscus and Le Vieux Clocher. Enjoyed the music at L’Hibiscus-excellent jazz trios that played for free transportation and lodging. We used to sit at the bar with Remy’s beautiful daughter at Le Vieux Clocher and hear her talk about earlier times. Those were interesting days!

Anyone remember Maison Blanc located on
the way to Corrossol? It was only open for a year or two. Run by a mother and son in a private home. Superb food and wine pairings.

Our first dinner on the island in 1989 was I think in Petit Cul de Sac area. It was pouring rain and our car leaked. We ate outside on a covered porch with no one else there. It looked like a private house and we almost felt as if we were intruding on the family. I can’t remember the name. Think it began with Le. Anyone?

Julianne, Maison Blanc would have been maybe 1984/1985 I think. I never ate there, but I remember passing by.

Maureen, was the restaurant called Le Flamboyant?

No Kevin. We did go there as well but I remember LeFlamboyant on a hill overlooking tennis courts. Then I think that changed to Asian cuisine. This was a left hand turn off the main road after Grand Culde Sac. Someone in my office recommended it but have never heard anyone else talk about it. I used to have his notes that he gave me for restaurants to go to. Will search for it.

Kevin just found my 1989 cheat sheet from SBP. Restaurant was Le Relais in Petit Cul de Sac.

0BF671E7-3C40-487E-8F8F-67B0E380618A.jpeg

Attachments

• 0BF671E7-3C40-487E-8F8F-67B0E380618A.jpeg
    0BF671E7-3C40-487E-8F8F-67B0E380618A.jpeg
    785.4 KB · Views: 496
I loved the lighting in the faucets of the Carl Gustaf...neon colors to wash your hands in was quite novel at the time. Lovely facilities and a welcoming staff.
Carl Gustaf was the best when it came to sunset. Drinks and food were perfect. Bartenders and staff made us feel like we were staying there. The bathrooms really were impressive.

Yes Le Flaymboyant was an incredible restaurant up the hill over the tennis courts. They made the greatest lobster puff pastry. Maragot Bay club, Sapoltier, and of course my favorite AuPort before they moved the post office across the street. Ines Ghetto and what was that name of the beach restaurant where Pearl is located now?

Pre-Luis, the restaurant where Pearl Beach is now located was Chez Francine. Next door was Le Bamboo.

Maureen - did Le Relais have outdoor seating on a covered and tiled porch? I have a memory of lunch on our first visit in 1991, when we walked to a restaurant after a morning near Petit Cul du Sac. We were staying at El Sereno Beach Hotel, and only rented the Moke for part of our visit, so walked around a lot. Pre-scooters and big cars, the hills were the most challenging aspect of walking on SBH!
(I should add that your description sounds very much like the place I'm recalling)