Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Past and Present

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 571

Favorite Past and Present

Which would you pick? Combination of location, hospitality of owner and staff, and quality of food and value.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,216

Re: Favorite Past and Present

Sopotillier under Adam, Andy Hall’s Hideaway, Santa Fe under Manu. Piperi Palace with Pierro and his Blues in the Background.

L’Isola, Maya's, l’Esprit

But as Phil says, so many restaurants
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

For past. Gloriete. Present Sante Fe.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,002

Past: Harbours Saladerie (Thierry/Gilles) and Gloriette (Sandra)
    Present: L’Esprit and Tamarin
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2014 Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 612

Past: Wallhouse, The Hideaway

Present: Bananiers, L’Isola

Hoping to still love spending the day at Guanahani with lunch when it reopens.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,873

Manu at Santa Fe.
    brunches at le Toiny on Sundays.
    Today Manypany brunches on Sundays.
    l'Esprit any time with JC.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,102

So many places come to mind. Going waaayyyy back, Vincent Adam was a prize (such great soufflés!). Les Castelets, any time (breakfast, lunch, & dinner). La Cremailliere (old world, kitchen-like setting, with classic French cuisine). Le Flamboyant (sweeping view of Grand Cul de Sac . . . venue of Albert Balayn before La Gloriette). Chez Francine (original “toes in the sand” setting, with alternative dining on a platform floating in St. Jean Bay). Also on St Jean, Beach Club (large lobster aquarium) & Le Pelican (think of a 70s version of Nikki Beach). Dining “on the Rock” (Eden Rock, when still under ownership of Remy de Haenen). L’Entrepont (dense tropical setting in the garden & on the porch of a French Colonial style residence at far side of Gustavia harbor). La Normandie Hotel (couscous in tiki-bar setting). Trois Forces (Mt. Vitet setting, with sweeping Grand Cul de Sac view & incredibly good & bargain-priced wine list). Paradisio. New Born.

Today . . . surviving over 35 years, Maya’s.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 294

Let's go back to Vincent Adam.
    Cheers

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2003 Northern Virginia Posts: 1,538

I'm with Lance (literally and figuratively) ... Vincent Adam .... and I have his recipe for Creme' Brûlée. Though to quote Gille "You can't
    get French cream so it won't be the same." I can only guess that French cream has a higher fat content than "American" cream. Does anyone know the difference?

Wall House with Franc and Dennis ranks right up there.
    Libby

I am overwhelmed with good old memories and looking forward to adding new listings to my memory bank.

"So many restaurants, so little time." The coming season should be a banner year!

SBH New Member Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 7

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Mussels at La Marine in the Past

SBH New Member Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 5

Dennis, totally agree with your wonderful list plus we loved Marigot Bay Club back in the day.

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 776

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    So many places come to mind. Going waaayyyy back, Vincent Adam was a prize (such great soufflés!). Les Castelets, any time (breakfast, lunch, & dinner). La Cremailliere (old world, kitchen-like setting, with classic French cuisine). Le Flamboyant (sweeping view of Grand Cul de Sac . . . venue of Albert Balayn before La Gloriette). Chez Francine (original “toes in the sand” setting, with alternative dining on a platform floating in St. Jean Bay). Also on St Jean, Beach Club (large lobster aquarium) & Le Pelican (think of a 70s version of Nikki Beach). Dining “on the Rock” (Eden Rock, when still under ownership of Remy de Haenen). L’Entrepont (dense tropical setting in the garden & on the porch of a French Colonial style residence at far side of Gustavia harbor). La Normandie Hotel (couscous in tiki-bar setting). Trois Forces (Mt. Vitet setting, with sweeping Grand Cul de Sac view & incredibly good & bargain-priced wine list). Paradisio. New Born.

Today . . . surviving over 35 years, Maya’s.
    Dennis, Cremailliere was one of the places we went on our very 1st trip to SBH tucked back from the street, was good ! Bottom rung of ladder was Vaval...so bad...pre-dated The Hideaway. And before Bonito, name escapes me, couple tables out over the pool that was there...boeuf carpaccio so good there. And New Born, La Marine, long ago so good ! Dates might have been for those ?
    e

La Mandala in Gustavia had tables over a pool

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 776

Mandala was the name, just remembered after my posting ! Loved it there then.

La Marine was always one of our favorites. They treated people very well.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 85

WE always enjoyed K'fai Massa (or however you spell it).

Quote Originally Posted by RVBama View Post
    WE always enjoyed K'fai Massa (or however you spell it).
    I liked the vibe there too. We also liked Zanzibarth from days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stbartshopper View Post
    Manu at Santa Fe.
    brunches at le Toiny on Sundays.
    Today Manypany brunches on Sundays.
    l'Esprit any time with JC.

Is brunch at Le Gaiac / Le Toiny also a relic of the past now? Seems to many changes since we've last been there!

Yes, another special that ran its course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I liked the vibe there too. We also liked Zanzibarth from days ago.
    Zanzibarth opened on the St. Jean hillside at the former location of a restaurant named “Le Colonial” for the 2002 / 2003 season. The book “Case et Cuisine” likened its white walls, white furniture, & large canvases of contemporary art to trends then coming out of Santa Monica & West Hollywood. It also had the most beautiful bathrooms and was worth a trip to the restaurant simply to see their elegant, chic design in days when les toilettes generally were merely functional. The restaurant did not last long, but was re-opened sometime later as “Le Z” by Mick Proust, who also was proprietor at K’fe Massai, where the bartender was Terrail (Mick’s cousin, I recall).

The restaurants were innovative & indeed did have a good “vibe,” including late evening DJ music, for a time. K’fe Massai was a particularly “chill” spot for an after dinner drink (always with a generous “pour”).

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post

The restaurants were innovative & indeed did have a good “vibe,” including late evening DJ music, for a time. K’fe Massai was a particularly “chill” spot for an after dinner drink (always with a generous “pour”).
    Chill is the perfect adjective for them. I had never seen such chic bathrooms before coming to that island.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,024

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    La Mandala in Gustavia had tables over a pool
    Hibiscus before that?

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,510

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    Hibiscus before that?

The pool was in active use when It was Hotel L'Hibiscus. The name transition as I remember it was Hotel L'Hibiscus, Le Vieux Clocher, La Mandala, and now Bonito.

The Hotel was managed by Natasha, and the two waiters who I remember were Bernard and Denis, who alternated seasons between St Barth and St Tropez.

Le Vieux Clocher was run by Remy de Haenen's daughter for about 2 years.

SBH Member Joined: May 2003 Posts: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Chill is the perfect adjective for them. I had never seen such chic bathrooms before coming to that island.
    The most “unique” bathroom on the island was at the old “Top of the Rock” restaurant at Eden Rock ... you went down a steep stairway on the ocean side of the restaurant (North) to a bathroom carved into the rock wall! During the day it had one of the best views on the island.

I loved the lighting in the faucets of the Carl Gustaf...neon colors to wash your hands in was quite novel at the time. Lovely facilities and a welcoming staff.

I loved when Guanahani had individually wrapped Guerlain (I think) towelettes/hand wipes in their restrooms. They smelled sooooooo good.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2003 CT Posts: 3,079

Kevin’s recollections are spot-on. We often used to go to L’Hibiscus and Le Vieux Clocher. Enjoyed the music at L’Hibiscus-excellent jazz trios that played for free transportation and lodging. We used to sit at the bar with Remy’s beautiful daughter at Le Vieux Clocher and hear her talk about earlier times. Those were interesting days!

Anyone remember Maison Blanc located on
    the way to Corrossol? It was only open for a year or two. Run by a mother and son in a private home. Superb food and wine pairings.

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 290

Our first dinner on the island in 1989 was I think in Petit Cul de Sac area. It was pouring rain and our car leaked. We ate outside on a covered porch with no one else there. It looked like a private house and we almost felt as if we were intruding on the family. I can’t remember the name. Think it began with Le. Anyone?