First few days — perfect!

Nane22

SBH Insider
Have now gotten on “island time” and able to relax a bit!!

Have walked to Columbier each early morning from our mountaintop retreat for the perfect workout! Met many families of goats and nice to see them as they were absent last year. Enjoyed the renovated Colombe Bakery even though a bit of a challenge finding parking during early morning “rush hour”. No more parking up on the curb as I have done in the past but found a place each visit.

Lunch at La Gloriette cafe with the amazing juice concoctions and her quiche just perfect! She (Sandra) as sweet as ever. Also had lunch one day (per husband request) at JoJo burger. His favorite burger on the island. We got there a bit early (11:50) and the jackhammers continue tableside until promptly 12:00 when the music came on and we enjoyed watching those filing through the one lane detour. The burger was great and breezes kept us cool.

35th wedding anniversary dinner was at Orega. Just lovely. Sat at the front cool window and were alone for a bit before it filled up. Each of the servers so friendly and took great care of us. Foie gras and eggplant tempura appetizer, and then sushi samplers. My favorite green tea ice cream for dessert. I know it sounds simple— but it may have been our favorite meal on the island. The owner (I’m sorry I forget his name) is also so kind and friendly. I will be going back as my new houseguests arrive!

Snorkeled at Columbier and PetiteAnse— not as many fish as I have seen in the past but will keep trying. I have some beautiful sunrise pics as well as others but can’t take the time now to figure out how to post— Paradise is calling!

Where are you staying? I have walked to the bakery from a few villas over the years in order to avoid the parking situation. Very nice post. Enjoy.

Your post has me tingling for my unexpected trip in two weeks.

The owner of Orega is Greg Ortega and he is a gentleman and wonderful host.

Hawke- we stay at Villa Haute Maison high atop Colombier. The views and breezes as well as gourmet kitchen (I enjoy cooking while here) outweigh the short ride to Colombe Bakery. Plus we love the morning hikes down the trail to deserted Colombier for sunrise. I just need to learn new parking scheme. In years past we wood walk the entire mountain “loop” and walk up, up, up on the road, stop by the bakery and continue on the road home. Roads have become too hazardous (or I’ve become more cautious). Yes that Almond Croissant is worth the effort!!

Hawke- we stay at Villa Haute Maison high atop Colombier. The views and breezes as well as gourmet kitchen (I enjoy cooking while here) outweigh the short ride to Colombe Bakery. Plus we love the morning hikes down the trail to deserted Colombier for sunrise. I just need to learn new parking scheme. In years past we wood walk the entire mountain “loop” and walk up, up, up on the road, stop by the bakery and continue on the road home. Roads have become too hazardous (or I’ve become more cautious). Yes that Almond Croissant is worth the effort!!
We stayed at the sister villa Kercliff. Another wonderful villa which was closer to a smaller family run bakery that closed down after a few years. Nothing better than a St Barts almond croissant. Trader Joes has frozen almond croissants that get me through until we return for the best.

Hawke, if you’re ever in Portland ME you should try the Almond Croissants at Standard Baking Company. I like them better than any found on St Barth.

Hi Nanette-at Orega tonight we met your Colombier neighbors and their kids. Small world.

The meal was SENSATIONAL!! Prep, presentation, service... all tops.

Seeing as it is very difficult to get into the little lot, where are you supposed to park for Petite Colombe if you can't park out on the main road?

Seeing as it is very difficult to get into the little lot, where are you supposed to park for Petite Colombe if you can't park out on the main road?

Just west and on the other side of the street from the Petite Colombe parking there is a small road that leads up the hilll to tennis courts and the elementary school. There is a parking lot next to the tennis courts that is usually available.

Agree Almond croissants are great. So are the plain ones and the pan du chocolate (sp). Greg is a wonderful host and hard worker at Orega. Having the walk (trek) to Colombier is special all by yourselves. Keep on sharing!