Parking Lots Become Pay Lots Again 7/16

KevinS

Senior Insider
The main parking lot in Gustavia and the lot across from the airport return to Pay status as of Tuesday 7/15. They had been free since Irma.

42425B13-88BB-435D-8950-48D4BAE07977.jpeg

this is not the Marche U lot, this is the lot along the waterfront where the ferries come in, across from Le Repaire, and the lot off the the left side of the Marche U lot where there are a lot of cars parked all the time...

This is great news. It was impossible to find parking in Gustavia while the lot was free. Cars sat in the lot for extended periods without paying.

Bart, as you turn into the Marché U driveway, there is a normally-gated parking lot on the right. Lately it has been stuffed with cars, some belonging to travelers, and some apparently stored there by car rental agencies. The lot behind (or is it in front of?) Marché U and the adjacent shops is unchanged, although it is full more often than it used to be.

Having had had to park past L’entracte when dining at Repaire, I’m not opposed to the pay lot. The few Euros which I spend there are worth it.

Having had had to park past L’entracte when dining at Repaire, I’m not opposed to the pay lot. The few Euros which I spend there are worth it.

My sentiment, exactly. I forget the hours, but you only need to pay for parking until 8:00 p.m. or so. This means parking for dinner is only a few euros or free depending on when you dine.

Living in Long Island and frequently traveling to NYC I am used to scouring for parking spots. Very rarely have had a problem in Gustavia and refuse to valet my car. It was tougher a few years ago with the construction on the upper roadway leaving Gustavia to St. Jean. Patience which I have much more of in St. Barth then NYC.

Part of the charm, keeping a few euros in your pocket, kind of like having a 1euro coin for the shopping cart at Match......

I've got a fistful of €1 and €2 coins, and I've got chip-and-pin credit cards. Both work for payment at the pay lots.

With the previous rates, the first 30 minutes were free, followed by €0.50/15 minutes, or €2.00/hour. Lost ticket paid €46. I don't know if the rates will be the same.