Tuesday morning surprises

MartinS

Senior Insider
I fish the beach early, 5:30ish, nearly every morning while on the island. St. Jean end of the runway seems to be my favorite. This morning included a first, a SBC aircraft taking off before 6am ! I usually get the siren blast from the fire truck shortly before 7am, chasing me from the closed area. This morning it was 5:50 or so, and the plane was already waiting at the end of the runway ready to take off.

IMG_1456aaaaa.jpg

And the fishing was good this morning also,,,,

IMG_1457aaaaaa.jpg

The beach rake was working before 6am too,,,,

IMG_1458aaaaa.jpg

IMG_1461aaaaa.jpg

Regarding the SBC early departure: If one books a private charter on SBC can this early morning departure time be arranged?

And the fishing was good this morning also,,,,

What kind of tackle are you using? That's a nice size fish. Can't identify it. What is it? I bring some light spinning gear from time to time but I haven't caught anything nearly as interesting as what you have in the pic.

What kind of tackle are you using? That's a nice size fish. Can't identify it. What is it? I bring some light spinning gear from time to time but I haven't caught anything nearly as interesting as what you have in the pic.

It is a Snook. At home it would be headed for my grill. Here I do not keep anything I catch for fear of cigaterra, reef disease, which locals have warned me of..... The fish would make you very sick, and worse.... I use a light casting travel rod and spin cast Penn 360 reel.... The surf at the end of the runway has been the best over the years.

Great looking catch, Martin . . . and great start to the day! Thanks for posting . . . fun to see early morning (since I'm still sleeping at that time!).

The SBC plane taking off that early was probably a medical evacuation, maybe from the accident reported last night... I don't think you can leave before 7am otherwise...

The incriminated species [ciguatera poisoning] were mainly fish from the Carangidae family (n = 47) (jacks), followed by fish from the Lutjanidae family (n = 27) (snappers), Serranidae family (n = 15) (groupers), Sphyraenidae family (n = 12) (barracuda), and Mullidae family (n = 12) (goatfishes) (Table 1). Between 2013 and 2016, the number of cases of poisoning dropped sharply for great barracuda (from 8 cases in 2013 to 1 case in 2016) and grouper (7, 1, 4 and 4 cases each year from 2013 to 2016, respectively), while the number of cases due to jack fish increased during this period (11 cases in 2013, 5 cases in 2014, 15 cases in 2015 and 16 cases in 2016). The number of cases related to snapper and goatfish remained constant from year to year. Various fish species were incriminated, sometimes including prohibited species. Furthermore, three species: Ocyurus chrysurus, Coryphaena hippurus and Centropomus undecimalis [Snook] not known to be responsible for CFP [ciguatera fish poisoning], were suspected to be involved in the present study [https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21373-2], but could possibly correspond to incorrect species identifications.

​Why take a chance?

Thanks, Ellen and Amy. My thoughts and prayers are surely with those involved in, and affected by, that accident.

It is a Snook. At home it would be headed for my grill. Here I do not keep anything I catch for fear of cigaterra, reef disease, which locals have warned me of..... The fish would make you very sick, and worse.... I use a light casting travel rod and spin cast Penn 360 reel.... The surf at the end of the runway has been the best over the years.
I know someone who had red snapper that was infected, took awhile to recuperate some years ago now. So I avoid having in the islands, yet suppose could happen off our coast of SC, NC & FL depending on where caught...any thoughts on that ?
Thanks for sharing your early morning pix & others ! Have never seen anyone fishing from a beach, only at the harbour.

I know someone who had red snapper that was infected, took awhile to recuperate some years ago now. So I avoid having in the islands, yet suppose could happen off our coast of SC, NC & FL depending on where caught...any thoughts on that ?
Thanks for sharing your early morning pix & others ! Have never seen anyone fishing from a beach, only at the harbour.

Any fish (maybe just warm water fish) could be a carrier, but fish that feed off the reef, like around SBH, are more prone to have it. Some friends of mine ate fish that they caught in the Bahamas, all became very ill and were eventually medivac out to Miami. One young guy nearly died. And I believe that once you have had it, it stays in your system, dormant, forever.

Any fish (maybe just warm water fish) could be a carrier, but fish that feed off the reef, like around SBH, are more prone to have it. Some friends of mine ate fish that they caught in the Bahamas, all became very ill and were eventually medivac out to Miami. One young guy nearly died. And I believe that once you have had it, it stays in your system, dormant, forever.

Our SBH gardener — and long time, very good friend — developed cigaterra from local reef fish. It was a nightmare for nearly a year. He was partially paralyzed for many months & lost about 60% of his weight. Local restaurants seem to filter out the offending fish . . . largely by knowing, among fishermen, who fishes where. Very I mportant to trust your restaurant venues.

Martin, here's a photo which you've seen before, and you were there on that day in June of 2005 when it was taken. Your fishing buddy Roy fought that Snook from the runway to Eden Rock.

Roy and His Snook.jpg