What did I do wrong?

Nane22

SBH Insider
14th year visitor... mainly in June or July. I’m a frequent flier and haven’t checked a bag to anywhere in 20 years. Flying in on American Airlines from CLT today connecting at SXM on Winair to SBH. Normally would just walk to counter, show my ticket and go through transfer screening to get on plane. Today at counter, she weighed my “carryon” which is legal size and because it weighed 26 lbs. she said I would have to exit, go through customs and re enter. Which I did and missed my Winair flight. (Lines were HUGE and I didn’t have a chance even with 90 mins allowed). (But my bag made it)! I’ve done this same routine the past 14 years with my carry on and handbag and proceeded to Winair gate and plane. I’ve never had it weighed. Before I left home, I did look at allowances and thought the weight limit was 50 lbs. is 25 lbs the limit?? I was 1 lb over if so.

Was so proud that I had fit 3 weeks worth of resort wear in my carryon.... and a snorkel mask, tennis shoes, 3 1,000 piece puzzles, etc...... darn.

good news... I made it two flights later and now that I’m in “heaven” doesn’t seem as big of a deal... but I will always and forever dread the trip through SXM.

Now onward to a most fabulous vacation!!! 😎

I’m definitely following this! I’m carry on only and I’m sure mine weighs 30lbs! Glad you made it!

PS... I’m a “nice”, happy southern girl. I was all about being polite. Maybe a bad day for her. No worries....
(until I have to return)... maybe I can retire here....

come on, you could not have taken out a pound of "crap" and tossed it? then you would not have had a problem, standing in line was worth not throwing something away?

if you are typical of most packers, 60 percent of the packing items are things you don't need. they sell many of the items here on the island that you packed.

whenever I have been over at the regular delta counters for flying which is 50 pounds, I take something out and ask where the nearest trash can is.

14th year visitor... mainly in June or July. I’m a frequent flier and haven’t checked a bag to anywhere in 20 years. Flying in on American Airlines from CLT today connecting at SXM on Winair to SBH. Normally would just walk to counter, show my ticket and go through transfer screening to get on plane. Today at counter, she weighed my “carryon” which is legal size and because it weighed 26 lbs. she said I would have to exit, go through customs and re enter. Which I did and missed my Winair flight. (Lines were HUGE and I didn’t have a chance even with 90 mins allowed). (But my bag made it)! I’ve done this same routine the past 14 years with my carry on and handbag and proceeded to Winair gate and plane. I’ve never had it weighed. Before I left home, I did look at allowances and thought the weight limit was 50 lbs. is 25 lbs the limit?? I was 1 lb over if so.

Was so proud that I had fit 3 weeks worth of resort wear in my carryon.... and a snorkel mask, tennis shoes, 3 1,000 piece puzzles, etc...... darn.

good news... I made it two flights later and now that I’m in “heaven” doesn’t seem as big of a deal... but I will always and forever dread the trip through SXM.

Now onward to a most fabulous vacation!!! 

Nice that you're there, but what an unexpected (and frustrating) glitch. Just checking, since we're of the same carryon ilk, was the glitch at the transfer screening station or the Winair desk?

If I remember correctly, which after being on the island 11 days is highly suspect, we arrived in SXM via JetBlue and were met by SBC representative holding a sign, directed to their counter and had our carry-on's weighed, and then sent through customs/immigration (?) line with everybody else. Maybe 20 people in the line, within a few minutes we were out and at our gate for SBC.

Arrived at SXM at noon, scheduled on the 3:30pm SBC flight...… but as usual, we were on SBH by 2pm.

Yes Didier, if only I had been thinking clearly, there were many items I could have tossed in a second. She had weighed and tagged and taken my bag so quickly my mouth was still open and with many waiting behind me—-felt like I could beat the line in customs. Lesson learned. And yes it was at the Winair desk. And I only used Winair this year as they had more flights and I was so anxious to arrive... my only worry is that I have several other family members joining me while I’m here and they are all Winair as well. So—- 25 lb carryon limit?

If I remember correctly, which after being on the island 11 days is highly suspect, we arrived in SXM via JetBlue and were met by SBC representative holding a sign, directed to their counter and had our carry-on's weighed, and then sent through customs/immigration (?) line with everybody else. Maybe 20 people in the line, within a few minutes we were out and at our gate for SBC.

Arrived at SXM at noon, scheduled on the 3:30pm SBC flight...… but as usual, we were on SBH by 2pm.

That's also what happened with us with SBC with the added benefit of having SBC retrieve our checked bags. That was great. Our originally 3:15 scheduled departure left by 2:00.

Yes Didier, if only I had been thinking clearly, there were many items I could have tossed in a second. She had weighed and tagged and taken my bag so quickly my mouth was still open and with many waiting behind me—-felt like I could beat the line in customs. Lesson learned. And yes it was at the Winair desk. And I only used Winair this year as they had more flights and I was so anxious to arrive... my only worry is that I have several other family members joining me while I’m here and they are all Winair as well. So—- 25 lb carryon limit?

winair smaller airplanes carryon limited to 6 pounds max
winair larger airplanes carryon limited to 15 pounds max

winair airplanes baggage compartment 50 pounds max

I had a similar situation where one bag (carry-on suitcase) weighed too much so I took some heavy stuff out and shoved it in my small carry-on back pack. The total weight going on the plane was the same, it was just broken up differently. Weird.

This was in SBH on the way back to SXM

I had a similar situation where one bag (carry-on suitcase) weighed too much so I took some heavy stuff out and shoved it in my small carry-on back pack. The total weight going on the plane was the same, it was just broken up differently. Weird.

Don't get me started. What about the pax who weigh 100lbs more than me? I'm 2 kilos over for my bag and you want to charge me $75.00?

We have had several similar experiences with WinAir along with their other ‘fun and games ‘ of canceling flights, delays and so on. Only SJU and Tradewind for us since then.

Thanks Didier— New information for me! And yes Izzy, my “decision fatigue” paired with pre-St. Barts excitement had my brain in a fog.

Good news today— Husband arrived 30 mins early after taking SBC flight (that I booked) and he had only rave reviews for his SXM experience! ��

So sorry for your unnecessary trauma. Yes, thinking clearly at a time like that can some times be difficult. Several years ago, as I recall, our bags were overweight, yet if we had had an additional (empty) bag with us, we could have redistributed our items and not been charge the additional $60 dollars that Win Air charged us. Now, we avoid Win Air like the plague, and take SBC most of the time.

I've had recent (pre-travel) interactions with St Barth Commuter and I can't rave about them enough! First class customer service!!!

If talking checked bags: I was told one time that the 50lbs max is more for the workers backs than the plane after asking them the same thing as you just outlined. Then it made a little more sense to me. Is it really true? No idea...

If talking checked bags: I was told one time that the 50lbs max is more for the workers backs than the plane after asking them the same thing as you just outlined. Then it made a little more sense to me. Is it really true? No idea...

I've heard the same. Like an OSHA requirement or something.