Barts Closing

andynap

Senior Insider
Screenshot_20190708-093236_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190708-093247_Facebook.jpg
20190708_093358.jpg
Screenshot_20190708-093320_Facebook.jpg

Sorry to see it go. Have not eaten there this season, but enjoyed lunch in the restaurant a number of times in past years.

We absolutely loved the macarons here, but the place seemed like it was closed every single time we tried to stop by. I have to say I'm not surprised that they weren't generating the revenue needed to pay the rent...

I have to say I'm not surprised that they weren't generating the revenue needed to pay the rent...

. . . not sure that it’s simply a cost-of-rent issue. Likely an important part of the decision, no doubt, but I think it’s important to relate the rental price (whatever it is) to being only one of so many other factors — e.g., what “they” may or may not have been allowed to do in this small space (contractually & practically), the chef / proprietor’s physical / emotional burnout, & the changing demographic of island tourism. Regarding the latter, dining on the island, I perceive, is increasingly directed to “glam.” And it’s a growing pool of economically diversified corporate investment that can sustain the associated costs of rent (including staff housing) and spiraling upscale food costs, showy glamour, & flash that we increasingly see.

I’m sorry to see Bart’s close. The food was very good, & the ambiance inviting . . . much like “Fish Corner” is enjoying today. It seems to have been, however, in an endangered layer of the SBH hospitality market.

. . . watch the openings of the 2020 / 2021 season. I think you’ll see what I mean.

. . . not sure that it’s simply a cost-of-rent issue. Likely an important part of the decision, no doubt, but I think it’s important to relate the rental price (whatever it is) to being only one of so many other factors — e.g., what “they” may or may not have been allowed to do in this small space (contractually & practically), the chef / proprietor’s physical / emotional burnout, & the changing demographic of island tourism. Regarding the latter, dining on the island, I perceive, is increasingly directed to “glam.” And it’s a growing pool of economically diversified corporate investment that can sustain the associated costs of rent (including staff housing) and spiraling upscale food costs, showy glamour, & flash that we increasingly see.

I’m sorry to see Bart’s close. The food was very good, & the ambiance inviting . . . much like “Fish Corner” is enjoying today. It seems to have been, however, in an endangered layer of the SBH hospitality market.

. . . watch the openings of the 2020 / 2021 season. I think you’ll see what I mean.

There is certainly a trend of more and more glamorous, but my point here was that I actually stopped by multiple times to try and give them my money and they were often closed. The hours were extremely limited -- and they seemed to shorten after the first year or two that they were in business. We had made a point of often stopping by repeatedly to enjoy some macrons and espresso over the years, but increasingly found that they were not open for business whenever we came by. It was unfortunate, since we really enjoyed the place as an excellent destination to grab a little afternoon treat.

As someone who is a huge foodie and genuinely loves all of the four and five star restaurants on the island, I would love to see some more "mainstream" restaurants open in Gustavia. I was so disappointed when Vietnam closed at the end of 2018 -- it had become one of our favorite spots on the island, and we had such an emotional connection with the place from 10+ years of eating there and chatting with Angelique. We were devastated when she told us in 2018 that it was her last year in business.

garykool81 . . . have you been to Cafe Gloriette? Great spot for many reasons, including as "an excellent destination to grab a little afternoon treat!"

garykool81 . . . have you been to Cafe Gloriette? Great spot for many reasons, including as "an excellent destination to grab a little afternoon treat!"

Not yet. We keep walking past it and commenting that we should give it a try, which I am sure we will next time. We used to go to La Gloriette all the time — also a huge loss from Irma.

Not yet. We keep walking past it and commenting that we should give it a try, which I am sure we will next time. We used to go to La Gloriette all the time — also a huge loss from Irma.
Who knows . . . La Gloriette could be resurrected! The deal for an investor to develop another restaurant at the venue has been terminated, and I understand that the property's owner is taking his time to consider how he wants to proceed with its use.

Who knows . . . La Gloriette could be resurrected! The deal for an investor to develop another restaurant at the venue has been terminated, and I understand that the property's owner is taking his time to consider how he wants to proceed with its use.

I have two words for the owner. Food Truck.

It's not a permanent structure, and if a "St Barth sized" food truck exists then it could be moved off of the beach when necessary. The kitchen at La Gloriette was small, so a food truck wouldn't be that much different. Tables, benches, chairs, and umbrellas are low cost and can be easily replaced. He already has bathrooms in the Rhum Shop building.

Unconventional for St Barth, but it might work.

It's not a permanent structure, and if a "St Barth sized" food truck exists then it could be moved off of the beach when necessary. The kitchen at La Gloriette was small, so a food truck wouldn't be that much different. Tables, benches, chairs, and umbrellas are low cost and can be easily replaced. He already has bathrooms in the Rhum Shop building.

could be a clever solution!

A very interesting concept. Food Truck could potentially also rove in the evenings to cater events on the quay. We have a handful on Nantucket that operate at a few beaches and at our local brewery. One of my catering colleagues has one that is doing very well.

A very interesting concept. Food Truck could potentially also rove in the evenings to cater events on the quay. We have a handful on Nantucket that operate at a few beaches and at our local brewery. One of my catering colleagues has one that is doing very well.
Cisco Brewery rocks. Also a shoutout for Surfing Hydrangea. I'm retired now, but Nantucket changed my life financially and you were a part of that. Thanks.

910E3C40-865C-4D69-8D4A-569F9835EA69.jpeg
88EE69BB-E8A5-40EB-AB06-59A0CEBCB437.jpeg
We had a lovely lunch at Cafe Gloriette this past April with friends! The offerings were very fresh and delicious...great salads and quiche, as well as a nice smoothie selection. And the rhum speaks for itself! It’s not the original, however, it’s a lovely little spot. Bright and airy. Do go if you’ve not been...you’d be missing out!

Attachments

• 5FB96FFC-D32F-4E93-96D1-B8C11BD094E2.jpg
    5FB96FFC-D32F-4E93-96D1-B8C11BD094E2.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 371
Great photos! Thanks for posting to illustrate the freshness and artistry of preparations. So good!!!

Vietnam is closed for good??? Last time we went to St Barths was 2015.. went to Vietnam for dinner twice! It was the first time I've had Vietnamese food and probably the best! Very sad... was really looking forward to it in March. Agreed Angelique was very nice.

Still looking forward to Santa Fe, Manu has the best duck & foie gras!

Manu is no longer the host/owner at Santa Fe.

That being said, David Mouton is now the guy in charge. The menu is different. The view is the same and dining there is a pleasure. Different for sure, but a hit. Open for lunch and dinner and closed on Wednesday. Reopening September 5th.

Manu is no longer the host/owner at Santa Fe.

That being said, David Mouton is now the guy in charge. The menu is different. The view is the same and dining there is a pleasure. Different for sure, but a hit. Open for lunch and dinner and closed on Wednesday. Reopening September 5th.

Good to hear it's a hit but now another thing I'll miss is Manu's duck & seared foie gras! I'll never forget our last dinner there, my rental car wasn't starting but he took a moment and helped me get it going... great guy.

Agree with you about Santa Fe, Amy . . . it’s different than in the day of Manu, but still excellent. Some needed “spit & polish” work after “Irma,” a very interesting & creative menu, more “fresh” items than were offered by Manu, & an engaging, service-directed staff . . . the place continues to be a winner. I have no idea how long David will want to endure the restaurant biz, but with standards that now distinguish Santa Fe, it could be a very long run!