Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

  1. #1
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    We just returned from our first trip to Anguilla. We really enjoyed the beautful beaches and the locals were extremley kind and welcoming. Very different from St Barth's but we like to mix things up. We will return, hopefully spring 2020. We'd love to do a split stay with 5 nights on St Barth's and 4 nights on Anguilla. Has anyone done this without using St Martin as a gateway? We would definately be flying into St Barth's (ferry is not an option) but it looks like there are only charters available without going through St Martin. There are only 2 of us, so this would not be a viable plan The only cost effective solution I can come up with is take the public ferry from Anguilla to Marigot and then fly from Grand Case to St Barth's. Totally doable and probably fairly quick but was hoping there may be a better alternative.

  2. #2
    bkeats is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Nuevo York Posts: 604

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Have you looked at Anguilla Air Services? I recall they have a flight or two a day between AXA and SBH.

  3. #3
    KevinS is online now
    Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,706

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Check Trans Anguilla Airways too.

  4. #4
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Thank you both!

  5. #5
    andynap is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,682

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Bill and Linda do Aguilla a lot. I think Shoal Bay East is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere.
    Is Scilly Cay still operating?


    Andy

  6. #6
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Bill and Linda do Aguilla a lot. I think Shoal Bay East is one of the most beautiful beaches.
    Is Scilly Cay still operating?
    Andy - SBE is gorgeous! We loved it. I think Sicily Cay was wiped out by Irma.

  7. #7
    tom is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Oct 2002 St. Louis, Missouri USA Posts: 117

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    We did Anquilla to St Barts once (I think it was 2010) on SBC (I believe) and they just skipped the St Martin stop because their were no passengers to pick up
    tom

  8. #8
    amyb is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,528

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Divabella View Post
    Andy - SBE is gorgeous! We loved it. I think Sicily Cay was wiped out by Irma.
    Where is SBE? AXA I think is Anguilla. In any case, I agree that Shoal Bay is gorgeous. Many happy hours/days enjoyed there.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

  9. #9
    andynap is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,682

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Where is SBE? AXE I think is Anguilla. In any case, I agree that Shoal Bay is gorgeous. Many happy hours/days enjoyed there.
    SBE =Shoal Bay East


    Andy

  10. #10
    amyb is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,528

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Got it.Thank you
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

  11. #11
    Leon is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Jun 2007 USA and Web Posts: 315

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Divabella View Post
    Andy - SBE is gorgeous! We loved it. I think Sicily Cay was wiped out by Irma.
    This is the latest about Sicily (2018). I didn't check their instagram feed though:

    Sandra W, Owner at Scilly Cay, responded September 4, 2018


    Thanks for keeping Scilly in mind. But yes, since Hurricane Irma hit (Sept. 2017) and with Eudoxie's passing (Dec. 2017), we have not been able to open, as the island is still in shambles. As of right now, we have crews helping clean, and salvage whatever they can from the destruction. We are hoping to open sometime in November, if all goes well with the rebuilding of the island and the dock, of course while hoping and praying, that we will be spared from another ruthless 2018 hurricane season. Will keep our clients posted on our social media (instagram @scillycay) for any changes.

    Enjoying St Barth since 1998

  12. #12
    tom is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Oct 2002 St. Louis, Missouri USA Posts: 117

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    We were disappointed after doing 5/5 Anquilla and St Barts - thought we would have enjoyed 10 days at either rather than split and wasting a day (or several hours) in travel
    tom

  13. #13

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Divabella, It's still vivid in my minds eye, the day I walked onto Shoal Bay East. I just stood there, mesmerized by its beauty.

  14. #14
    NancySC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 842

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Divabella, did you rent a villa or stay in hotel or ?
    From your former posts about where you stayed on SBH, I thought of you making the walk from town back up each time...as we drove down that hill from our villa rental in Lurin. A couple of times in past I did walk up as far as Bonita when going there for cocktails or dinner. Could not have made it the rest of the way ! You must be in great shape, I'm not !

  15. #15
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by NancySC View Post
    Divabella, did you rent a villa or stay in hotel or ?
    From your former posts about where you stayed on SBH, I thought of you making the walk from town back up each time...as we drove down that hill from our villa rental in Lurin. A couple of times in past I did walk up as far as Bonita when going there for cocktails or dinner. Could not have made it the rest of the way ! You must be in great shape, I'm not !
    We stayed in a hotel on Meads Bay....Frangipani. Loved it, very small and intimate. The owners are fantastic and very hands on.
    Funny thing about that hill....I would walk up and down it about 3 times a day. I never gain weight on a St Barth's vacation. I gained weight in Anguilla and I blame the lack of that hill! I love staying on that hill. It is so convenient for dinners.

  16. #16
    sxmbeachlover is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Apr 2007 Littleton, Colorado Posts: 212

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Just my two cents, but we stay at least a week when we go to Anguilla, and much longer in SBH. For 10 days, as earlier suggested, I would stay at one of the two.

  17. #17
    NancySC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 842

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Divabella View Post
    We stayed in a hotel on Meads Bay....Frangipani. Loved it, very small and intimate. The owners are fantastic and very hands on.
    Funny thing about that hill....I would walk up and down it about 3 times a day. I never gain weight on a St Barth's vacation. I gained weight in Anguilla and I blame the lack of that hill! I love staying on that hill. It is so convenient for dinners.
    Diva I had email from Travel & Leisure today about the bests...island resorts Frangipani there ! Maybe will go see when on Dec. cruise that stops at AXA.

  18. #18
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by NancySC View Post
    Diva I had email from Travel & Leisure today about the bests...island resorts Frangipani there ! Maybe will go see when on Dec. cruise that stops at AXA.
    There are “grander” hotels (Cap Juluca...stunning) but Frangipani is small (19 rooms) , intimate with loads of charm.

  19. #19
    CaribbeanSoul is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Feb 2017 Portland, OR Posts: 36

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    We really enjoyed Zemi Beach Resort which is on the west end of SBE. The most beautiful beach either of us has ever seen. The funky beach bars and restaurants are fun and excellent as well on SBE. We went to Meads but prefer SBE. The Sunshine Shack on Rendezvous Bay is great too. We had one of the best dinners at Hibernia and Artisan Pizza in Island Harbour is fantastic! We are going to try and mix in an Anguilla trip every other year or so.

  20. #20
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanSoul View Post
    We really enjoyed Zemi Beach Resort which is on the west end of SBE. The most beautiful beach either of us has ever seen. The funky beach bars and restaurants are fun and excellent as well on SBE. We went to Meads but prefer SBE. The Sunshine Shack on Rendezvous Bay is great too. We had one of the best dinners at Hibernia and Artisan Pizza in Island Harbour is fantastic! We are going to try and mix in an Anguilla trip every other year or so.
    I agree that SBE is nicer than Meads and Zemi looked fabulous ( I waked through the pool area) . We chose Meads for convenience of dinner options. We like to walk to dinner or not have to drive very far. Lots of very good dining options on Meads. We wanted to try Hibernia but they were closed for the season. Absolutely loved the Sunshine Shack. Taxis are crazy expensive almost as bad as St Barth’s.

  21. #21
    sfbarts is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Nov 2009 Boston Posts: 34

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    We have done the split before and its great but would do 4 days Anguilla and a week in St Barts (min)! Air Anguilla has one flight a day I believe. When in Anguilla you must have lunch or dinner at Jacala !
    Everybody Dies
    Not Everybody Lives

  22. #22
    Divabella is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2017 New York Posts: 213

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbarts View Post
    We have done the split before and its great but would do 4 days Anguilla and a week in St Barts (min)! Air Anguilla has one flight a day I believe. When in Anguilla you must have lunch or dinner at Jacala !

    We had dinner at Jacala....it was fantastic. Jaques is quite a character.

    We have changed the plan for a split. We will be returning to Anguilla for 5 days in May for our anniversary. Hope to get St Barth's in for a full week sometime in 2020. Are businesses still open the first week of July? We typically go in February but have other plans this year.

  23. #23
    bkeats is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Nuevo York Posts: 604

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Divabella View Post
    Hope to get St Barth's in for a full week sometime in 2020. Are businesses still open the first week of July? We typically go in February but have other plans this year.
    Most places are open in early July but some places may close for bit for summer vacation but you won't know the timing until some weeks before they close. We were there end of June/early July this year and a number of restaurants that we wanted to go to were closed while we were there. The owners were taking a summer break.

  24. #24
    CaribbeanSoul is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Feb 2017 Portland, OR Posts: 36

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Divabella View Post
    We had dinner at Jacala....it was fantastic. Jaques is quite a character.

    We have changed the plan for a split. We will be returning to Anguilla for 5 days in May for our anniversary. Hope to get St Barth's in for a full week sometime in 2020. Are businesses still open the first week of July? We typically go in February but have other plans this year.
    This is a great Facebook group to join with a ton of information on restaurants, menus, entertainment, closings, etc.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/anguillafortourists/

  25. #25
    andynap is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,682

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Name:  9C569C82-EC75-4EF8-A387-89F1B2A1E8A0.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  121.5 KB
    Name:  D6FFEB2A-813E-4753-9BAB-589F0C499747.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  620.7 KB
    Name:  6A9C2A7B-6669-40B3-A498-CA215AD884D6.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  253.4 KB
    Name:  0E1BB592-CD9C-4E5C-820F-D092DAB1AA54.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  756.6 KB
    Name:  07FFF290-8862-4A20-80D6-787F0A5B99C6.jpeg
Views: 126
Size:  453.5 KB
    Name:  172C3540-351B-46B0-A958-C2C8E6E38CD9.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  456.0 KB


    Andy

  26. #26
    Jim A is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 321

    Re: St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

    Looks nice Andy. Thanks for posting

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •