St Barth's / Anguilla: Split

Divabella

SBH Insider
We just returned from our first trip to Anguilla. We really enjoyed the beautful beaches and the locals were extremley kind and welcoming. Very different from St Barth's but we like to mix things up. We will return, hopefully spring 2020. We'd love to do a split stay with 5 nights on St Barth's and 4 nights on Anguilla. Has anyone done this without using St Martin as a gateway? We would definately be flying into St Barth's (ferry is not an option) but it looks like there are only charters available without going through St Martin. There are only 2 of us, so this would not be a viable plan The only cost effective solution I can come up with is take the public ferry from Anguilla to Marigot and then fly from Grand Case to St Barth's. Totally doable and probably fairly quick but was hoping there may be a better alternative.

Have you looked at Anguilla Air Services? I recall they have a flight or two a day between AXA and SBH.

Bill and Linda do Aguilla a lot. I think Shoal Bay East is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere.
Is Scilly Cay still operating?

We did Anquilla to St Barts once (I think it was 2010) on SBC (I believe) and they just skipped the St Martin stop because their were no passengers to pick up

Andy - SBE is gorgeous! We loved it. I think Sicily Cay was wiped out by Irma.
This is the latest about Sicily (2018). I didn't check their instagram feed though:

Sandra W, Owner at Scilly Cay, responded September 4, 2018

Thanks for keeping Scilly in mind. But yes, since Hurricane Irma hit (Sept. 2017) and with Eudoxie's passing (Dec. 2017), we have not been able to open, as the island is still in shambles. As of right now, we have crews helping clean, and salvage whatever they can from the destruction. We are hoping to open sometime in November, if all goes well with the rebuilding of the island and the dock, of course while hoping and praying, that we will be spared from another ruthless 2018 hurricane season. Will keep our clients posted on our social media (instagram @scillycay) for any changes.

We were disappointed after doing 5/5 Anquilla and St Barts - thought we would have enjoyed 10 days at either rather than split and wasting a day (or several hours) in travel

Divabella, It's still vivid in my minds eye, the day I walked onto Shoal Bay East. I just stood there, mesmerized by its beauty.

Divabella, did you rent a villa or stay in hotel or ?
From your former posts about where you stayed on SBH, I thought of you making the walk from town back up each time...as we drove down that hill from our villa rental in Lurin. A couple of times in past I did walk up as far as Bonita when going there for cocktails or dinner. Could not have made it the rest of the way ! You must be in great shape, I'm not !

Divabella, did you rent a villa or stay in hotel or ?
From your former posts about where you stayed on SBH, I thought of you making the walk from town back up each time...as we drove down that hill from our villa rental in Lurin. A couple of times in past I did walk up as far as Bonita when going there for cocktails or dinner. Could not have made it the rest of the way ! You must be in great shape, I'm not !

We stayed in a hotel on Meads Bay....Frangipani. Loved it, very small and intimate. The owners are fantastic and very hands on.
Funny thing about that hill....I would walk up and down it about 3 times a day. I never gain weight on a St Barth's vacation. I gained weight in Anguilla and I blame the lack of that hill! I love staying on that hill. It is so convenient for dinners.

Just my two cents, but we stay at least a week when we go to Anguilla, and much longer in SBH. For 10 days, as earlier suggested, I would stay at one of the two.

We stayed in a hotel on Meads Bay....Frangipani. Loved it, very small and intimate. The owners are fantastic and very hands on.
Funny thing about that hill....I would walk up and down it about 3 times a day. I never gain weight on a St Barth's vacation. I gained weight in Anguilla and I blame the lack of that hill! I love staying on that hill. It is so convenient for dinners.

Diva I had email from Travel & Leisure today about the bests...island resorts Frangipani there ! Maybe will go see when on Dec. cruise that stops at AXA.

Diva I had email from Travel & Leisure today about the bests...island resorts Frangipani there ! Maybe will go see when on Dec. cruise that stops at AXA.

There are “grander” hotels (Cap Juluca...stunning) but Frangipani is small (19 rooms) , intimate with loads of charm.

We really enjoyed Zemi Beach Resort which is on the west end of SBE. The most beautiful beach either of us has ever seen. The funky beach bars and restaurants are fun and excellent as well on SBE. We went to Meads but prefer SBE. The Sunshine Shack on Rendezvous Bay is great too. We had one of the best dinners at Hibernia and Artisan Pizza in Island Harbour is fantastic! We are going to try and mix in an Anguilla trip every other year or so.

We really enjoyed Zemi Beach Resort which is on the west end of SBE. The most beautiful beach either of us has ever seen. The funky beach bars and restaurants are fun and excellent as well on SBE. We went to Meads but prefer SBE. The Sunshine Shack on Rendezvous Bay is great too. We had one of the best dinners at Hibernia and Artisan Pizza in Island Harbour is fantastic! We are going to try and mix in an Anguilla trip every other year or so.

I agree that SBE is nicer than Meads and Zemi looked fabulous ( I waked through the pool area) . We chose Meads for convenience of dinner options. We like to walk to dinner or not have to drive very far. Lots of very good dining options on Meads. We wanted to try Hibernia but they were closed for the season. Absolutely loved the Sunshine Shack. Taxis are crazy expensive almost as bad as St Barth’s.