Transferring at SXM to Winair with Checked Bags

ehardtke

SBH Member
Hi all - if we have checked bags, do we have to claim them in SXM, go through customs and immigration and then go back through security? Planning on flying Winair in the first week of August and want to make sure we have enough time to transfer.

Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately.

We did it in June - on a Saturday and it wasn't as bad as we expected. I think we had a four-hour layover, but when we checked the bag in at Winair (which you can do in the
baggage claim area) we asked if we could get on an earlier flight. They said check at the gate - we did and got on the flight that was leaving immediately. Less than an hour from touch down
in SXM to touch down in SBH. Not bad considering what a zoo it is at that airport.

So many trips we've done in past via SXM, no more tho, only SJU. But after the 1st time with 2 checked bags...never again did that. Why would you ?

If you're asking about the flight through SXM on the way to SBH, another option is St Barth Commuter. We had checked bags when we traveled in mid June. We got an email to attach yellow ribbons to our bags. Once we got in the terminal we were met by a SBC rep who took our luggage receipts and directed us to the connecting passage. They got our bags and put them on the plane. We went then to emigration and security and to the terminal.

If you're asking about the flight through SXM on the way to SBH, another option is St Barth Commuter. We had checked bags when we traveled in mid June. We got an email to attach yellow ribbons to our bags. Once we got in the terminal we were met by a SBC rep who took our luggage receipts and directed us to the connecting passage. They got our bags and put them on the plane. We went then to emigration and security and to the terminal.

I really hope this holds true in November. Try as I might, I can't convince my SigO to carry on for 10 days.

So many trips we've done in past via SXM, no more tho, only SJU. But after the 1st time with 2 checked bags...never again did that. Why would you ?

It's just a tad more expensive ........... not everyone that goes to SBH has big bucks

It's just a tad more expensive ........... not everyone that goes to SBH has big bucks
LMAC we're well aware of the cost difference SJU vs SXM, but at this point in our lives, the need to avoid the stress of connecting via SXM is huge. Steps are challenging with a carry on bag remembering the poorly designed area for Winair & SBC passengers to descend from the check in counters to the jitney via the many steps down. Yes, there was an elevator nearby that required someone to go with you for security reasons. SJU is flat, not many steps involved if at all, just poor signage at SJU. With 20+ visits to SBH, we know about not everyone having the big bucks since we don't.

We tried Tradewind this year from SJU to SBH. It was wonderful. A nice Tradewind waiting lounge area at SJU with sandwiches, snacks and drinks. Also snacks and drinks on the plane. Sure it is about and hour flight vs 12 minutes from SXM but I retired early (2003) and I'm in no hurry...!

Agree about Tradewinds, at this point, retired and in stress reduction mode, just makes sense for us. But thankfully there are several options for folks.