Zion 7-4-19

EGW

SBH Member
In another venture out from our usual dinner haunts, we decided to give Zion a try. With the major buzz surrounding Zion, we looked for great things. But the culinary bar is set pretty high on St Barth, with L’Esprit, L’Isola, Orega, and Bagatelle, to name a few. Meeting expectations with a new venture must be tough. Nevertheless, Zion has been heavily promoted, even showing up in spray-painted graffiti around Saline (which is definitely not cool).
Although I enjoyed the calculated shabbiness of Andy’s Hideaway, with its dodgy bathrooms and view of the car park, Zion’s new garden setting is a major step up. It’s elegant in a laid-back, St Barth sort of way and seems less noisy and crowded. The wait staff is young and enthusiastic, and was kind enough to put up with my feeble attempts at speaking French. (At times, I lapse into a new language called Franglish, which although not an effective form of communication, does succeed in amusing the French.). Regarding the kitchen staff, my wife mentioned that the chef ranks about a “9” on the 10 point “cute” scale. (I add this for the benefit of Missy, who still mourns the departure of Manu.).
Now about the food...We started with duck confit pie, topped with foie. What could be bad, right? While my wife enjoyed her version, mine was...well...gritty. It seemed to contain crunchy bits (not bone) that didn’t belong. Not wanting to insult the chef, I did finish the whole thing. After all, I could use more fiber in my diet. Besides, I have a strict “leave no foie behind” policy, regardless of the circumstances.
The mains were another mixed bag. My wife’s poitrine de volaille (chicken) was good. But because I’ve been on a steady diet of seafood lately, I was in desperate need of red meat and decided to go with the “Entrecote Chairman”. Now why, you ask, would anyone order something labeled “Chairman” in a French restaurant? I’m blaming this unfortunate choice on a critically low serum level of cholesterol, impairing my higher cortical functioning. In the end, the steak was a small, rather tough piece of ribeye, not at all up to the standards of the late, great Meat and Potatoes or the current Bagatelle. This was surprising, given the availability of good beef on the island. Luckily, with my wife now preoccupied with staring at the cute chef, I had plenty of time to chew my way through the entrecote.
Dessert was good, but nothing unusual: a tatin and a baba.
Would we go back to Zion? Actually, we would. I liked the setting and the people, and would order differently next time. It’s not spectacular, but seems a solid choice. Besides, my wife likes the “scenery” and I do need more fiber in my diet.

I thought the beef was Charolais--those tan colored bovines. Ha, I probably misread. The serving was thin cut and a bit well striated with fat so we would probably select another main on our next visit as well. We plan to go back and enjoy a dinner on another personally less stressful night.

Sorry to hear you had a less than plate lickable meal. I would have pointed out the crunchy pie rather than just eating it though I agree that no foie should be left on a plate. We agree the setting is quite an uptick from the Hideaway. We had a couple of the shared tapas plates. The fish rillettes and baby squid I thought were outstanding. Perhaps with your need for land based protein, I would suggest trying the pork belly the next time. It had the right balance of unctuous fat and tender meat. Having worked in kitchens in my impecunious youth, I was actually quite impressed by the kitchen itself. Very nice equipment in there and the cooks working looked very focused on the food.

The Zion graffiti at Saline may or may not have anything to do with the restaurant. There is (or was) a music/party venue called Zion Garden at Saline.

I am definitely trying the pork belly next visit.
Look forward to your review of the pork belly after you have it there. Mine at Tamarin so good in May, 1st timer for the pb. I did see a shrink wrapped pb at our local brand new 125 K sq foot Kroger, but think fresh probably better. Was surprised to see it, but this is the deep south !

Nancy, I had my first pork belly at Tamarin and it was out of this world delicious. Almost as good as roasted marrow bones..another favorite of mine.

Close. Born in Brooklyn New York! Haha. Raised in Queens and Long Island.

My twin brother lives near Athens, Georgia..so maybe that explains it.

Close. Born in Brooklyn New York! Haha. Raised in Queens and Long Island.

My twin brother lives near Athens, Georgia..so maybe that explains it.
No. I think you are one of those people that enjoys adventure and tries new things.

C962F1F1-099B-4E31-9F33-3E74553048C1.jpg

No worries. We’ve moved on...

Thank you so much for the honest reporting and taking time to explain in detail. Much appreciated! I'm anxiously awaiting to enjoying Zion on my upcoming trip.

Thank you so much for the honest reporting and taking time to explain in detail. Much appreciated! I'm anxiously awaiting to enjoying Zion on my upcoming trip.
That location brings back so many great memories. Will definitely eat there on our next vacation.

Dad; Have you tried L'Ardoise in Villa Creole? We have really enjoyed some fun times there. The managment and servers are very entertaining.

The Zion graffiti at Saline may or may not have anything to do with the restaurant. There is (or was) a music/party venue called Zion Garden at Saline.

There’s also a new glossy magazine on the island named “Zion.” The photography in it is beautiful, though some may express offense at its extensive use of nude and near-nude models.