What to do on SBH in your 20s?

Jeanette

Senior Insider
Hello everyone. I planned a spontaneous trip for late July/early August to enjoy the island with my 25-year-old daughter and her boyfriend. It will be their first trip and they're really excited.

I've never visited the island with someone their age and was wondering about recommendations. Both are former collegiate athletes and will be interested in hiking and water sports. I've done neither, other than chartering a boat.

They may also enjoy a night or two of the island's "late" nightlife. What's popular now? Casa? Modjo? Bagatelle?

My wife and I visited in our mid twenties a few years back. I'd suggest hiking the upper Colombier trail and Grand Fond natural pools. Stand up paddleboarding or other watersports on Grand Cul de Sac or St Jean (we did SUP on GCdS during our trip a week ago and it was a lot of fun). Boat rental from Jicky or others (we rented the 30' Sillinger and took it out ourselves to Colombier and Fourchue - excellent snorkeling for SBH). Sunday lunch at Nikki Beach. Lunch at Shellona. Nightlife at Le Ti or Bagatelle. I would also highly recommend Quarter Kitchen for cocktails (they are excellent), or their Rhum Room for a more special, intimate experience.

Le Ti is fun. Bagatelle plays great music. Agree on Modjo.
They will enjoy all of the restaurants but suggest rooftop Barthelemy, not Le Toiny, Bonito has a great vibe, definitely Le Select for lunch, rent SeaDoos to go all the way around the island, and there is a person who rents the scuba ‘subs’ that take you underwater- don’t know his contact but someone else will know on the Forum, windsurfing in Gran Cul de Sac- rent them there, if you are up for it- quad cycles around the island but a little risky. Hope this is helpful.

Casa is fun, but VERY smokey. And they don't get crankin' until 1 or 2 in the morning. Dinner at Le Ti is very nice followed by a fun evening that begins around 11. Sunday Nikki lunch. May also enjoy drinks at Baz bar.

All of the hikes are very scenic and can be athletic depending on which ones you do.

Just about everywhere that I went late at night when I was on SBH in my 20's closed long ago, LOL. I don't think that my late night experience is pertinent.

If one or both of them has the necessary experience, then renting a boat from Jicky or Ocean Must and going to Colombier for a half-day or a day might be nice. Without experience, they should stick to Jicky's sunset catamaran cruise.

Goodness I wish I had known about St Barts in my 20s. On the other hand maybe its better that I didn't otherwise I may not have made it to my 30s when I found it. Is it better to burn out or to fade away?

What a great momma you are, Jeanette! Hiking has been covered in many posts and definitely will be enjoyable, especially the Grand Fond to the Washing Machine hike. The track is great for safe running workouts and Forma Form in Lurin has daily and weekly passes that might interest them. Also, they can rent equipment for paddle boarding, windsurfing, etc. at Grand cal de sac and St. Jean. You know they will love every minute!

Great suggestions here, Jeanette. I would add that some recent visitors in their 20s that I’ve had as Villa guests found Sayolita, the local “surfer” bar, and had great times there . . . quickly meeting & befriending other young (local) people.

Merci to all!!! Really wonderful suggestions that I will share with them. Every trip is special to me, but bringing my family is adding a new level of joy.

if there is time you guys can join me on a chauvette hike one day. very memorable and the beach is full of blue stones, great swimming there too!

if there is time you guys can join me on a chauvette hike one day. very memorable and the beach is full of blue stones, great swimming there too!
Diana, please tell me what a "chauvette" hike is! I don't know this one, and of course, anything "new" to do on SBH would be a very welcome surprise. Merci d'avance!