Age discrimination

24loar

SBH Insider
I had touted the charms of SBH to an old (not physiologically) friend, and he was ready to head on down. However, upon inquiry he was told that he could not rent a car and drive on the island because he has passed his 80th birthday. Is there any leeway on this regulation?
Are there any of you octogenerians out there who have come up with an alternate to car rental that allows you "the freedom of the island?"
Thanks!

who told your friend this? i don't think it is a governmental regulation, but at the discretion of the business owner. apparently not uncommon to encounter some restrictions/additional requirements after age 70.

My guess is that it might be a limitation imposed by the rental agency’s insurance carrier.

Very interesting ... Lance says he doesn't remember ever being asked his age when he reserved a car. They have no clue until he gives them his drivers license when we pick up the car.

We’ve used Turbe the last few times. Age is not requested at the time you book. Here is a copy of their booking form....

5D3CE30D-D69A-41DF-827B-72EE0726D71B.png

Age requirements vary by country. No max age is listed for France in this source, supporting Kevin's thought this may be insurance-based. Finland has a notable max age limit:

IMG_4553.jpeg