Insight?

Hawke

Senior Insider
Very little interest on sbhonline recently. Has everything been said or is the magic gone?

Yes, I agree there is less posting. I've noticed that some posters who use to be very active when I first discovered the site are no longer active. While I was planning our recent trip, I was checking things out to see what was going on and there wasn't as much here as I recalled from the past. When we were on the island, I met with a long time part time resident who asked me to post more regularly even when I had no trips upcoming to make the site more active. I pondered the request and have some thoughts that I'd like to share when I've fleshed my idea out a bit more. More to come in hopefully not to long.

Just need to respark the magic.

Driving around a corner and seeing a view that you have seen numerous times and still saying wow.

Walking onto a beach you have been at many times and still amazed at how few people there are while you find your spot.

Very little interest on sbhonline recently. Has everything been said or is the magic gone?

The forum went through a phase where it was mostly the same 15 to 20 people posting the same basic stuff. It was very clicky.

I'm not absolving myself from that charge btw.

People move on for various reasons but the upshot is we have quite a few new posters and although the frequency has changed, the love for St Barths remains.

Pour moi, the magic remains, Hawke, but the negative energy is definitely gone. I'll take fewer posts of quality over many posts of buffoonery any day! BTW, I'm nearing the single digit countdown mode. Tingle! Tingle!

The magic is never gone! We recently returned from a 2 week stay at beautiful Les Basses--I recognize the shells from EGW's post, not the keychain? I was grateful to have made it to the forum gathering--thank you Betty and Charles ; ) albeit very late. We had been on an afternoon sail with a friend whose lovely sailboat is available for charter. Many boats for hire are catamarans or motor boats so for those who love a sailboat, I'm happy to pass along contact information.
Having only been once before in June (we usually visit late April, July and/or November) I was reminded of how sleepy June can be and loved every minute. We were very lucky on both weather and sargassum, the only spots we saw a lot were on hikes to pools at Grand Fond and on lower trail to Colombier. Beaches were pretty much clear for us except one afternoon at Saline. We arrived and all was fine but within an hour and a half the beach filled up. The road work in Lorient wasn't much of an issue, one or 2 days traffic was re-routed via Saline, otherwise the stop lights didn't add too much time. I do have opinions regarding restaurants (i.e. Langouste and Toiny beach club) though don't like to disagree too strongly with others' posts as everyone's experiences are unique. Every restaurant/hotel can have an off day or night. What I will say is that Langouste will stay on our list, we always enjoy dinner there though did not make it this trip. And Toiny Beach Club is a stunning spot. Having been a few times over the past year, I have noticed an increase in food quality and service. We also had dinner at Toiny twice recently, a very limited menu but the shell bar is gorgeous, great cocktails, and we found the food on both occasions quite good. Another spot we love is Mango, and even there we've had ups and downs both in food and service, but we'll keep going back as it's one of our lunch favorites. I will say consistently we have found the food and setting at Manapany to be excellent for lunch, and a great spot for drinks is WTF rooftop bar at Le Barthelemy. Have many other notes on restaurants, too long to write, overall I will say that the island never disappoints, even if a slip here or there. As always, we look forward to returning in November and beyond...

While guilty of posting less, I still lurk, read, and post every once in a while. Right now I am tingling big time because we will soon be on island.:cool: The magic is definitely still there.

Slowdown happens every summer. Less people less posts. One problem occurs when a poster goes happpy posting while on the island and then forgets to post the rest of the year. Of course for newbies once posted there’s nothing left to say until the next time. It will pick up again in November.

I suggest seasonality. My guess is if our editors analyzed the posts by time of year, the majority are in high season. Don't count me out!

Don't count me out either! After 34 years, the magic is still there! Each time we step off that little plane at SBH, we say to each other, "We made it one more time!"

I think that the said slowdown was for last two weeks only and somehow coincided with very hot weather (at least on the East Coast, not SBH, mind you) and graduation season.

. . . Has everything been said or is the magic gone?
Much more to be said! Personally, however, I’ve been very busy on the island with guests for nearly two weeks, so there hasn’t been much time to contribute.

I also find that I don’t have a lot to add to many posts . . . they often speak for themselves. Commentary from me about a particular delicious dish in XYZ restaurant, for example, becomes duplicative of what one or more people have written in recent days. (I do, however, appreciate reading the opinions of others about what’s good & bad.)

Finally, I would say that I tend to periodically, while visiting on the island or shortly thereafter, post summary recaps of what I found to be notable. Many others, by contrast, post more frequently while here . . . then fade ‘til the next visit.

Slowdown happens every summer. Less people less posts. One problem occurs when a poster goes happy posting while on the island and then forgets to post the rest of the year. Of course for newbies once posted there’s nothing left to say until the next time. It will pick up again in November.

If I had to guess, I would say it's a seasonal slowdown. There are quite a few frequent posters from when I joined that no longer post anymore. I try to contribute when I can, but I don't visit that often and I don't have nearly the knowledge that the others do on this site, so I leave most questions to the experts ;).

I know that when we are visiting St. Barts that every day is a day like no other. There is a simplicity combined with a sophistication that I have not found anywhere else. On another subject has anyone stopped by Ramona's little bar down by the school in town.

I know that when we are visiting St. Barts that every day is a day like no other. There is a simplicity combined with a sophistication that I have not found anywhere else. On another subject has anyone stopped by Ramona's little bar down by the school in town.

Do tell us more about Ramona's little bar, svp.