First Day Musings

jillianleab

SBH Member
Frequent lurker, infrequent poster, but we are on island now!

Arrived via SBC on Wednesday and we were surprised by the SXM airport improvements from last year. We tried to do all carry on, but one of our group had to gate check and SBC collected the bag for us, making for a seamless transition. We were booked on the last flight of the day and departed about 30 minutes early since all passengers were there. I rode co-pilot for the third time and it's by far, my favorite spot on the plane! Our pilot was very kind and enganged a lot with our 6 year old daughter, who was smitten by his French charm. I really hope he's our return pilot!

We've mostly lounged by the pool and on St Jean, slowly adjusting to island time. Lunch at Le Jardin, dinner at L'Isoletta (kid favorite). Tomorrow we hike to Colombier - wish us luck!

The island is very, very dry right now. I miss seeing green on the hills. We are staying in the Anse de Cays area which still has a lot of construction from, I assume, Irma. So many more restaurants are open compared to this time last year, though.

We dropped by Zion (the place that replaced Hideaway) this afternoon but there is no menu posted outside. Hubby and I might go for dinner one night to check it out (sans children).

More updates to come, we are here for two weeks and plan to make the most of it!

Thanks for your musings. I muse a lot on SBH.

Thanks to Leon, you can find images of the Zion menu here, as well as a photo of one of Amy and Phil's plates.
https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...g-by)-at-the-newly-opened-Zion?highlight=zion

You'll find Dennis' first impression at the end of this thread:
https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...Hideaway)-Opens-on-Monday-6-17?highlight=zion

They open for lunch on July 1, a week from Monday.

For reservations, go to[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] https://www.zion-sbh.com/reserve-a-table or call[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] 0590 27 63 62 [/FONT]

Merci, Kevin! Zion's website has lunch and dinner reservations available starting this Monday, June 24, so I assumed they'd be open next week. We stopped by today just to see if a menu was posted (on our way to the pharmacie). Looks like a place we might enjoy for dinner one night!

Merci, Kevin! Zion's website has lunch and dinner reservations available starting this Monday, June 24, so I assumed they'd be open next week.

It looks like you are correct, and Zion will begin opening for lunch tomorrow, 6/24. From FB:

"From tomorrow, we welcome you also at noon, from Monday to Friday.
Bistro atmosphere at the Zion "Saint Barth" for your lunches!"

You can see my report about Zion in the resto section of the forum. They told me that they would be open for lunch today, Monday, and that the lunch menu will be different from dinner.

Our 6-year old has decided she won't eat anything but yogurt, pizza, and burgers so... Zion will be an adults only outing. Victoria had a sign posted for a free pizza with purchase of a bottle of wine, so we might try that soon.

How is it that two weeks feels so long and so short at the same time?

How is it that two weeks feels so long and so short at the same time?

At the end of two weeks, I'm full. Two weeks of French chefs is about all that I can handle. I don't know what I'm going to do in November when I'm there for 3+ weeks. I may need to fast for a few days.

No, you change some habits and then find that 3 weeks have flown by and you just don’t Know how it happened.

At the end of two weeks, I'm full. Two weeks of French chefs is about all that I can handle. I don't know what I'm going to do in November when I'm there for 3+ weeks. I may need to fast for a few days.

There's always Italian!