CODE GIRLS by Liza Mundy

amyb

Senior Insider
This book was on my reading list for 2 years, and I finally got to it and I am so glad I did. Codebreaking in WWII wasn't just the Brits solving the Nazi Enigma code. Our Army and Navy each recruited thousands of women from the 7 sister colleges, those teaching languages and mathematics, and bright women in general. This freed up boys to fight the wars against the Axis in the Atlantic and Europe and the Japanese in the Pacific and the many islands lying there while codebreakers figured out where the next battle was going tobe. They made a great contribution and their success and personal stories are wonderful to read.

Thank you Amy for pointing this out. My father and his sister both joined up in WWII. Aunt Shirley never talked about it, nor did my father. She never married and Dad was a broken man.

The author interviewed women in their 90’s who NEVER broke the oath they pledged and would describe their work as clerical when asked what they were doing in Washington D.C.

Thank you Amy. As you know the Maisie Dobbs book series has a lot of pages as well on the female code breakers in the U.K.

Bill, I noticed that too.But these are the American women at work. There are similar sacrifices, but the story is worth the read.