Airport Fence Posters

DrD

SBH Member
Just watching the airport webcam and was wondering who are the people on the posters that are being hung on the fence??

These are people encouraging safe driving. They are locals who have survived motorcycle and scooter and car accidents.

IMG_4364.jpeg
A google translation of the article in Le Journal when this public service campaign was launched:

"THAT THEY DO NOT BECOME, LIKE ME, HANDICAPED FOR LIFE"
by V.A 06/12/2018
As part of the authorities' fight against road mortality, the Collectivité is making its mark with the design of a 100% Saint-Barth prevention campaign.

Four dead on our roads in 2018, and on average a two-wheel crash every day: St. Barthélemy has a problem, which the authorities are working to settle. First, with the creation a few months ago of GLTD (local crime treatment group) under the aegis of the prosecutor's office, which has considerably toughened the crackdown on road crime. But the fight against it also involves prevention. And for the message to be heard, the Collectivité, in collaboration with the gendarmerie and the prefecture, designed a local campaign: it features seven well-known personalities on the island, graciously photographed by François Roelants.

"I was young and stupid..."

You will recognize them: Frederic, Herve, Cecile, Alexandra, David, Nicolas, Laurent. They are restaurateurs, pharmacists, association managers, sports coaches ... The idea of ​​the campaign is that the faces they meet every day will speak more to the inhabitants of the island than the campaigns carried out at the national level. regional.

"When the community offered it to me, I did not hesitate. One of my cousins ​​lost their life very young on the road, that's why I accepted, "said Alexandra Lédée, President of Ascco. "This concerns everyone. It's good, I think, to touch people at the local level, it's more meaningful to see faces that we know. Like Alexandra, Nicolas Gurley said yes right away. Evidence: "I am injured. I had a serious scooter accident in 2001, in St. Barts. I was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but I was young and stupid, which is the same ... "At 18, Nicolas was driving too fast when he slipped on the gravel and fell . Result, a month of coma and a disability in the right leg, he will keep forever. "Not to mention the emotion of my family. With such a course, "I do not want to teach a moral lesson, but tell the youngest to be cautious. Tell them not to become, like me, handicapped for life. "

Cécile Coudreau, President of Ajoe, also poses to fight against bad driving behavior. She is not directly involved ... although: "I have two children, one of whom is 19 years old, so I am particularly sensitive to this. She will participate, on January 12, in the forum on road safety organized by the Collectivité, on a proposal of Xavier Lédée and Hélène Bernier, elected representatives of the road transport-traffic commission. "I have already proposed, even before being called for this campaign, to use the Ajoe cinema screen to broadcast messages or spots of prevention. So, why not, the seven faces of the island that now embody this message: on the road, let's all be responsible.

Journal of St. Barts No. 1306 of 06/12/2018

My translation would be something like

Even on our island
On the road drugs/alcohol kill
Be responsible

Pretty clear message

Thank you Amyb! Looking forward to our first trip back down in 6 years to celebrate a 60th birthday and 34th anniversary!!

My favorite destination for celebrating ANYTHING! You have a couple of nice things coming up for you.

Glad to see the St. Barth community pulling together to raise more awareness to all and make a significant difference. Hoping people will change their behavior.

The left picture, the large one, is Randy and Maya’s son, who survived A horrible scooter crash. He works at Maya’s to go, and is launching an alcohol and drug addiction therapy practice for the Island people.

The left picture, the large one, is Randy and Maya’s son, who survived A horrible scooter crash. He works at Maya’s to go, and is launching an alcohol and drug addiction therapy practice for the Island people.

I thought he looked familiar, glad he's doing what he's doing for this cause. Very necessary. There is little that is scary about being on St Barths, but when the drivers of scooters & cycles zoom in & out of cars lined up for traffic lite control or whatever reason, they never wait, they seem to think the fastest, noisiest they can be is fun. Not so as some unfortunately learn.