AC in December

SZ484

SBH Member
As I begin to plan our trip back in December and am searching villas, I wanted to know thoughts on if AC in the living room and kitchen area is a must for December? It’s our first villa rental and our first time in December, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been told the villa tends to get a nice breeze, but I worry about mosquitos with the doors open always (esp if the breeze dies down) as well as just if it will be comfortable with out AC that time of year.
Thanks in advance!!!

As I begin to plan our trip back in December and am searching villas, I wanted to know thoughts on if AC in the living room and kitchen area is a must for December? It’s our first villa rental and our first time in December, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been told the villa tends to get a nice breeze, but I worry about mosquitos with the doors open always (esp if the breeze dies down) as well as just if it will be comfortable with out AC that time of year.
Thanks in advance!!!
We prefer ac in the bedrooms, and a screened kitchen and living area to enjoy the night sounds and breezes.

Oh thank you! I didn’t even think to ask if there was a screen!! Thank goodness for this forum :)

We always make sure our Villa has A/C in the Living space, if it gets warm, you can enjoy the A/C, if the weather is cooler, you do not have to use it. Just my thoughts.

The villa which I rent in November has A/C in the living room. The villa which I rent in April does not. Both are fine. You’re going to get the occasional mosquito in the villa no matter what. Judicious use of repellent and the occasional use of a Skeeter Racket (a handheld battery operated zapper shaped like a racket) work for me.

AC in the common areas falls into the better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it category for me.

We have never used the AC in the many years we have been going.....we fall asleep with the light breezes and peaceful noises of the night off in the distance and awake to the welcoming sounds of roosters from afar and the first plane out...
we have screens and mosquito net over our bed.

I would say if you use AC from the first warm day in spring until the first frost at home ...... you'll want AC. As Aimee said, we prefer tropical breezes and the sounds of nature. Screens are desirable - unfortunately not all villas have them. AND, yes, regardless of AC / screens or no screens ..... mosquitos may be an issue.

We have never used the AC in the many years we have been going.....we fall asleep with the light breezes and peaceful noises of the night off in the distance and awake to the welcoming sounds of roosters from afar and the first plane out...
we have screens and mosquito net over our bed.

I love your style! . . . did the same thing for 30+ years on SBH. Now, however . . . like the cool bedroom AC at night.

AC is a must for the bedrooms. If we have to pick between two villas, the one with ac in all areas wins always. Screens are a necessity. Mosquitoes are part of the island life but can be managed as Kevin suggests.

I think it also depends on how the villa is situated on the island as well. A south facing villa may tend to get a little warmer than one facing north. We rented a south facing villa in January and while we kept the villa open when we were there, it did get a little hot in the afternoon.

My wife insists on locking everything while we are gone and at night (she thinks someone will attack us for some reason). When we got back to the villa in the late afternoon our January villa would be quite hot and stale without the AC on.

We never use Ac in the living area.....plenty of breeze moving through even in June on the west side on Colombier....bedrooms a must....

We stayed at Villa Acajous last May and were stunned when there was no AC in the living, dining and kitchen. AC in the bedroom. However I fell in love with the situation. Night breezes, wonderful sounds of the Island were wonderful. The screens helped of course.

We stayed at Villa Acajous last May and were stunned when there was no AC in the living, dining and kitchen. AC in the bedroom. However I fell in love with the situation. Night breezes, wonderful sounds of the Island were wonderful. The screens helped of course.

Acajous has wonderful cross-ventilation when both the sliders and the "front" doors are opened.

We stayed at Suite Acajous, slightly above Acajous. It is fully air conditioned. A lovely 1-bedroom Villa owned by a very lovely owner. Marie-Claude is a Sweetheart!