Trip Update #3

CaribbeanSoul

SBH Insider
Dinner at L'Isola on Tuesday was truly special....thanks for steering us this way as we were not disappointed! Kim had the Rosemary Risotto with braised Wild Boar and I had the Fettuccine Bolognese with the prime beef fillet carpaccio as a starter. A bottle of Brunello (forget the label) and profiteroles rounded out dinner. We did a little shopping beforehand and found really nice matching bracelets for our anniversary gift to each other.

We had a concierge credit that came with our villa rental and one of the excursions listed was a jet ski tour out of Grand Cul de Sac. We decided that would be a fun way to see the island and booked the 90 minute (longest) outing. We found the watersports rental shack adjacent to the Hotel Le Barthelemy and met JC, the proprietor who had just returned with a group. Neither of us are thrill seekers, i.e., no bungy jumping, skydiving, etc., but we are "sporty" and can handle most anything. JC explained that we would circumnavigate the island clockwise instead of the usual counterclockwise and that the first 15 minutes or so would be pretty rough as we make it around the point of Petit Cul De Sac on our way to our first stop at Anse Toiny. Well that was an understatement and I seriously considered what we had signed up and knowing that Kim was having similar or worse thoughts (which were verified). Head down and fingers on the gas with several "oh ****" moments and we finally made it to our first stop and calmer conditions. I was having a blast by then....Kim, not so much, but as the trooper I know her to be, we continued on and made it back with several stops in about 2 hours. What an amazing way to start our day! We stopped at Le Barthelemy for a cold Carib to wash down the sea water. Seemed a lot busier and a better scene than Le Sereno did the other day.

We spent the rest of the day chilling by the pool with those handy Le Bouchon leftover pizzas a great mid-day snack. We had made reservations at Eddy's for dinner on Wednesday night. Unfortunately for us, it was a big miss. The only miss so far. I won't go into all the details, but we won't be returning.

Yesterday, Thursday we were planning on going to Le Toiny's beach restaurant but we had a change of mind and instead went to St. Jean and checked out some of the beach activity. Ended up at Pearl Beach which was one of our favorites from our last trip when it was Tom Beach Club. We shared the Tempura Shrimp and the Burrata. Both were outstanding. Service was good and drinks as well! We were looking for a casual place to grab dinner last night. Thought about La Cantina, but ended up at Le Bouchon for a cheeseburger fix, even thought their calzone looks amazing, and watched game one of the NBA finals in our villa.

This morning it finally rained so the cisterns should be a little happier. It looks to be a little more unsettled today and tomorrow for our last two full days, but overall the weather has been great. A little more overcast than I'm accustomed to in the eastern Caribbean this time of year but being outside so much it really has been a blessing.

Tonight we are deciding between Black Ginger, La Guerite or Tamarin. We didn't love Tamarin last trip and haven't tried the other two, so that is today's big decision!

Sorry to hear about your “miss” with Eddy’s...we went twice on our recent trip, last Saturday being our last night dinner..have never been disappointed....

We would pick La Guerite over Black Ginger. Reserve the ‘Banquett’ table near the entrance.
To not return to Eddy’s is a serious ‘miss.’ Would like to learn what to avoid there?

We would pick La Guerite over Black Ginger. Reserve the ‘Banquett’ table near the entrance.
To not return to Eddy’s is a serious ‘miss.’ Would like to learn what to avoid there?

Specifically the curried goat left me with a "where's the goat?" question. Three knuckles with no meat anywhere and quite bland. The same with Kim's curried shrimp. Just very bland for a Creole/Caribbean style restaurant. To their credit, they removed the goat from the tab. Service was fine, but never checked on us after our entrees were delivered and it was not that busy. Too many other choices in our opinion.

Tonight is Bagatelle for our finale dinner before we head back to the west coast tomorrow.