Where am (or was) I?

PeterLynn

Senior Insider
WAI-1.jpg

Great Photo - it means "Don't deposit garbage" ....... you can see it in other places around the island (usually near a pile of trash!)

Have no clue where this is.

The JoJo mini mart...is that a shopping cart?

Ding ding ding. Mini-mart was closed so we parked there for lunch at Jojo burger. Saw the sign and took a picture to translate later. Liked the image, so cropped out the shopping cart and posted it. Figured the yellow and red would still be a give away.

I believe the translation is no tipping...

The recipient of said tip would not be as happy as a pig in ordure...
défense de déposer des ordures... no dumping of garbage is what I think the sign says...

Ordure is also a seldom used English word that came to us via old French... in English, its main meaning is more suitable for use as a substitute in the expression above... as seen in its use by the author, who can claim ordure as one of the words that are first attested in his works.. . from a modernized version of The Parson's Tale:

You women, who are of so great beauty, remember the proverb of Solomon, who says: "A fair woman who is the fool of her body is like a gold ring in the snout of a sow." For just as a sow roots deep into every ordure, so does she root her beauty into the stinking filth of sin.

I see where a translation of "no tipping" is listed but unless it is among the many French idioms about which I am clueless, i don't think that is a good alternative translation...