Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bagatelle

  1. #1

    Bagatelle

    In all the years we have visited we have never gone here until last night. The view of course is amazing and the food was yummy! Tuna tartar with avocado and truffle pizza. Of course we had to have the profiteroles! The only place on the Island we have found them. Highly recommended

  2. #2
    NancySC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 817

    Re: Bagatelle

    Quote Originally Posted by Cwater View Post
    In all the years we have visited we have never gone here until last night. The view of course is amazing and the food was yummy! Tuna tartar with avocado and truffle pizza. Of course we had to have the profiteroles! The only place on the Island we have found them. Highly recommended
    Eddy's has profiteroles, husband had twice, I had chocolate nems twice...both yum awards !

  3. #3
    cec1 is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,204

    Re: Bagatelle

    Love Eddy’s chocolate nems!

  4. #4
    NancySC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 817

    Re: Bagatelle

    Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Love Eddy’s chocolate nems!
    Dennis will send you an email re our issues upon arrival ! Both nites at Eddy's bizzy, the 2nd nite our last on SBH was quiet early, then hoppin' with all tables filled but 2 or 3 empties. Langouste salad so good both times there this trip. YUM award there as well as the pork belly at Tamarin.

  5. #5
    cec1 is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,204

    Re: Bagatelle

    Quote Originally Posted by NancySC View Post
    Dennis will send you an email re our issues upon arrival ! Both nites at Eddy's bizzy, the 2nd nite our last on SBH was quiet early, then hoppin' with all tables filled but 2 or 3 empties. Langouste salad so good both times there this trip. YUM award there as well as the pork belly at Tamarin.
    It’s always, Nancy, interesting to follow commentary of Forum visitors about experiences in SBH restaurants. If you don’t mind, I’ll use your message to give a personal view of (& small rant about) restaurant commentary . . . and I think you’ll concur.

    Unfortunately, for all of the obvious reasons, not many people can be on the island multiple times each year. As a result, the bad experiences, here & there, in one restaurant or another, of annual, or even less frequent, visitors can cast an unfair shadow on any restaurant’s reputation. Eddy’s being among them . . . Maya’s, famously . . . Bonito . . . etc..

    All restaurants, in any locale, have occasional bad nights & bad food preparations. The input of Forum participants about their experiences at island restaurants, good & bad, is very important . . . I wouldn’t want anything else. I think that it’s important, nonetheless, that the comments be understood as data points. As a collection of comments, they, collectively, form a reliable “review.” Personally, I’ve had good & bad meals, good & bad service, at just about every restaurant on the island. And staff & proprietors usually know which is which at end of the evening .

    In this regard, I would add that loyalty is — world over, SBH being no exception — so important in a restaurant experience, even if the frequency of visiting is only 1x/year. As a result, I encourage Forum folks to give another opportunity to any restaurant that fails to meet expectations . . . you might even explain to a host / hostess, “The last time we were here, we had heard so much about your great reputation, but we were a little disappointed . . . so we decided to come for a second opinion!”

    As great Forum friends, Amy & Phil, have taught us . . . “So many restaurants, so little time!”

  6. #6
    stbartshopper is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 8,044

    Re: Bagatelle

    Dennis
    Wholeheartedly agree.
    Even though prices sre SBH prices, overall the owners, chefs, servers and staffs deliver but once in a while there can be an off experience.

  7. #7

    Re: Bagatelle

    Cec1 You are correct. While Tamaran disappointed this time it was the first over many years of fine dining. We go to the Island once per year. We will certainly return to Saline next May. Thanks

  8. #8
    Hawke is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 669

    Re: Bagatelle

    [QUOTE=cec1;1010791]It’s always, Nancy, interesting to follow commentary of Forum visitors about experiences in SBH restaurants. If you don’t mind, I’ll use your message to give a personal view of (& small rant about) restaurant commentary . . . and I think you’ll concur.

    Unfortunately, for all of the obvious reasons, not many people can be on the island multiple times each year. As a result, the bad experiences, here & there, in one restaurant or another, of annual, or even less frequent, visitors can cast an unfair shadow on any restaurant’s reputation. Eddy’s being among them . . . Maya’s, famously . . . Bonito . . . etc..

    All restaurants, in any locale, have occasional bad nights & bad food preparations. The input of Forum participants about their experiences at island restaurants, good & bad, is very important . . . I wouldn’t want anything else. I think that it’s important, nonetheless, that the comments be understood as data points. As a collection of comments, they, collectively, form a reliable “review.” Personally, I’ve had good & bad meals, good & bad service, at just about every restaurant on the island. And staff & proprietors usually know which is which at end of the evening .

    In this regard, I would add that loyalty is — world over, SBH being no exception — so important in a restaurant experience, even if the frequency of visiting is only 1x/year. As a result, I encourage Forum folks to give another opportunity to any restaurant that fails to meet expectations . . . you might even explain to a host / hostess, “The last time we were here, we had heard so much about your great reputation, but we were a little disappointed . . . so we decided to come for a second opinion!”
    I agree. We have dined at Sante Fe from the Mexican family owned until the present. I have enjoyed being there each time. Even the evening andynap was raving about T.O. when the Eagles were playing the Patriots in the Super Bowl. I was such an ass that evening, however Andy graciously accepted my much belated apology. The Pats did win. There is definitely something special about that location.

  9. #9
    andynap is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,593

    Re: Bagatelle

    Dennis, your opinions are colored because you had a hotel, have a rental villa and are there frequently. You can frequent .any restaurants many times so a retry for you isn't a big deal. So it's easy for you to say.I go once a year and a bad meal or service stays with me so I don't feel like testing it the following year. The one exception was Sante Fe. After the disasterous meal we had during Super Bowl Sunday that Hawke.mentions we later learned that Manu was short 2 cooks that night. 1 quit the other was sick. I gave him a pass and became good friends after learning we both like Eliane Elias music. And his lunches were great. I have the opinion that with those prices there shouldn't be a bad meal. I also have an aversion to pushy wine sommeliers.


    Andy

  10. #10
    cec1 is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,204

    Re: Bagatelle

    Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    . . . I go once a year and a bad meal or service stays with me so I don't feel like testing it the following year. . . . I also have an aversion to pushy wine sommeliers.
    I tried, in my post, to address the former issue, Andy . . . but totally “get” that you, like some others, won’t want to give a “second chance” to a place that fell down for you in service, food, &/or whatever way(s). I also don’t like pushy sommeliers, but am skillful in nipping that problem in the bud (as I expect that you can be, as well). Thank you for your joining in conversation, as you do with great thoughts! They always liven-up Forum discussion, as I also hope to do. (The alternative won’t survive.)

  11. #11
    NancySC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 817

    Re: Bagatelle

    Here's our experience with Tamarin on 5/18/19, the nite before the full moon...lovely setting of course, the yellowish moon rose, the clouds swirled around & over, I declared we were in a Van Gogh painting...the host looked that up on his phone there it was as proof, the painting. What started out magically continued with Doug & I each having a main + dessert only, 3 courses just too much, and a bottle of red wine. As a southern state resident for 14 years, it was time to try pork belly in of all places St Barths & not Bluffton or Charleston....superb, now to find here at home, no issue. Doug a steak, as usual. We had my 20 minute interval between courses, my exquisite lemon pie had so many levels of flavors that melded perfectly & the plate presentation was lovely...YUM award for it while husband enjoyed chocolate something. This is where the magical experience took a nose dive...when the server delivered our desserts, she also brought the check...which we had NOT asked for. Hmmmm, the only other time the check was brought to our table was long ago at the restaurant that followed the African themed place in Oasis Ctr that didn't last. I felt insulted by this young woman...was she new, was she told to bring the check so that the front row table could be turned over ? Her tip far from generous...her faux pas colored the entire experience. No going back to Tamarin.

  12. #12
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,022

    Re: Bagatelle

    Quote Originally Posted by NancySC View Post
    Here's our experience with Tamarin on 5/18/19, the nite before the full moon...lovely setting of course, the yellowish moon rose, the clouds swirled around & over, I declared we were in a Van Gogh painting...the host looked that up on his phone there it was as proof, the painting. What started out magically continued with Doug & I each having a main + dessert only, 3 courses just too much, and a bottle of red wine. As a southern state resident for 14 years, it was time to try pork belly in of all places St Barths & not Bluffton or Charleston....superb, now to find here at home, no issue. Doug a steak, as usual. We had my 20 minute interval between courses, my exquisite lemon pie had so many levels of flavors that melded perfectly & the plate presentation was lovely...YUM award for it while husband enjoyed chocolate something. This is where the magical experience took a nose dive...when the server delivered our desserts, she also brought the check...which we had NOT asked for. Hmmmm, the only other time the check was brought to our table was long ago at the restaurant that followed the African themed place in Oasis Ctr that didn't last. I felt insulted by this young woman...was she new, was she told to bring the check so that the front row table could be turned over ? Her tip far from generous...her faux pas colored the entire experience. No going back to Tamarin.
    Your evening sounds downright divine. My two centimes (be it what it may) is that just because the checked is delivered doesn't mean it has to be paid immediately. Were you asked to pay it at the time it was delivered? There is nothing wrong with letting it sit on the table while you enjoy the remainder of the evening. There are those diners that will allow a check brought to the table too late to sour the evening. The waitstaff apparently must use their own good judgement to determine which one of the camps each table falls under. I'm sorry THIS was the reason for your sour opinion of Tamarin and do hope you find a way to give them another shot...those moonrises are just too good to pass up, non?
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  13. #13
    cec1 is online now
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,204

    Re: Bagatelle

    . . . sorry for that experience, Nancy — I understand your dissatisfaction. I wonder, however, whether it was a busy night at the restaurant — i.e., did it seem that there were no other available front row tables &/or that there were people waiting for the table? In this regard, I know that the situation, whatever it was, doesn’t excuse the “bum’s rush.” Just curious as to a sense of whether the abrupt delivery of your check was the unilateral act of a server . . . or perhaps a restaurant practice?

  14. #14
    NancySC is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 817

    Re: Bagatelle

    Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    . . . sorry for that experience, Nancy — I understand your dissatisfaction. I wonder, however, whether it was a busy night at the restaurant — i.e., did it seem that there were no other available front row tables &/or that there were people waiting for the table? In this regard, I know that the situation, whatever it was, doesn’t excuse the “bum’s rush.” Just curious as to a sense of whether the abrupt delivery of your check was the unilateral act of a server . . . or perhaps a restaurant practice?
    There were other front tables available, most if not all of the people in the garden area were at least 4 or more, so I don't think the table was needed so soon, there were many more tables to be had behind the front row. Everything had been fine up to when the check was dropped in its folder along with the desserts...so I think the young woman overstepped & we were her victims. Whether she'd been told to do that we'll never know, we had not dragged our feet or overstayed our welcome timewise, it was just surprising to have happened...there... A burger or pizza joint or similar place, ok we'll give you a pass on bringing the check without asking for it...Tamarin...no. Nuff said.

  15. #15

    Re: Bagatelle

    We were at Tamarin night after you were....think we had the same waitress and were in front row table..our habit after dinner there is to take remaining drinks and rhum out to the gardens with after dinner cigar for Steve...check gets brought to us out there...so we didn’t experience the rush you had....they do have 2 seatings there so maybe your table was a desired reserved table....or she was having an off night...I would not give up on such a lovely setting...our meal was not the best but we will definitely not give up on them...still top of our list..
    Steve and Aimee

Similar Threads

  1. Bagatelle 4/30
    By dadto6 in forum St Barts Restaurants Wine & Food Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-12-2019, 10:52 PM
  2. Bagatelle reopens 12/14
    By andynap in forum St Barts Restaurants Wine & Food Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-10-2017, 06:29 PM
  3. WHAT ABOUT BAGATELLE?
    By rivertrash in forum St Barts Restaurants Wine & Food Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 03:36 AM
  4. BAGATELLE
    By BBT in forum SBHonline Archives
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •