First trip to St Barts in July

hoosiercane

SBH Member
Hello all! First post. Our first trip to St Barts will be in late July. We are staying at the Hotel Christopher. We have booked a day excursion with Jicky Marine. We have some restaurants booked like Bonito, Tamarin. But would love other suggsestions as well. We love views of the water and the town. We have heard Sante Fe has a great view.

Our plan was to drive around the island to the beaches during the day, then lunch, and back to hotel before we went out to dinner. I know everybody has their own way, but any suggestions on the best way to tackle the island?

Thanks so much and look forward to visiting this beautiful island.

Santa Fe will be closed. Plan a day at La Perle and a lunch at Nikki. Christopher is my favorite spot on the planet

Do not "tackle" the island so much as embrace it. The feeling you get in return will be much the better.

Take an afternoon (after shopping) in Gustavia at Le Select or Bar de l'oubli to day drink and just watch the world go by.

Welcome to the Forum! Once you’ve settled in, on your first full day, take a drive around the island to get a lay of the land and see where things are. Exploring is half the fun. You’ll get a sense of where the beaches, restaurants and shops are. Enjoy discovering the little jewel that St. Barth is! Please post about you’re experiences, too. The Forum is always just a post away if you have any questions or want guidance on something.

Gayle

Be sure to go to dinner at Orega (I know I am a broken record) and Eddy's is an institution - as well as a good choice. You may want to tackle the island in "sections" ...... doing a little each morning
followed by cafe creme at Bar de l' Oubli or check out a beach for an hour or two. Enjoy your visit - it is a special place.

Le Toiny Beach Club for lunch and use their chairs for lounging before or after, or both. Not a good beach for swimming...too rough, but they have a small pool to cool off in. Make sure you do a pizza night at Les Bananiers. Shellona has a spectacular view at lunch. Don’t miss Gouveneur and Saline beaches...so beautiful! Have fun!

Welcome Hoosier. Relax and enjoy, all suggestions above are excellent. I would add Fish Corner to the lunch list as well as Le Barthélémy. Be sure to take a copy of Kevin’s restaurant info along. It is super helpful, we always take one with us.

I remember our 1st trip like it was yesterday, we will be making our 15th in December! SBH is addictive, you will be back.

we look forward to your trip reports.

Charlotte

Take your time and enjoy...it’s your first trip and definitely not your last...our favorite spot in all our years is sitting at Select midday and watching the world to by with a nice rose and Heineken and deciding what to do.
many beaches and many restaurants...our favorites are Eddy’s, Langouste and L’Esprit...and a burger at Select...
pack a lunch of rosé and paninis from Ki E Mo and go to Gouvenour beach and just chill and take in all the beauty
Have fun

Don't overlook lunch at Mango, the lunch restaurant at your hotel. I've had some very enjoyable lunches there.

Don't worry about making all of your reservations in advance. Let Le Chris take care of them for you as your stay progresses. If there is that "one restaurant" that you have to go to on that "one special day", then sure, go ahead and book in advance. Otherwise, same day or previous day will work 95% of the time. Your concern shouldn't be who might be full, but who might be closed.

I haven't been keeping track of who is open/closed this summer, as I won't return until November. Places with a water view to consider are Bonito and Ociela, both on the same hillside overlooking the harbor in Gustavia. At water level on the port in Gustavia is Victoria, which will be one of the Hotel Barriere Carl Gustaf's restaurants when it reopens, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm more partial to the more laid back Lil'Rock on St Jean than I am to Nikki Beach, Shellona, or Pearl Beach.

You've got a lot planned. It's OK to do less. "Chaise Gravity" may kick in as you relax, and you may find that what you really don't want to do is to just drop into a poolside chaise at Le Chris and enjoy the day. And that's OK.

Enjoy the trip! It’s a great island. The advice you have received is spot on. Kevin is an authority on all of it and I always use his suggestions. I’m a fan of Grain de Sel for a casual experience and for a high end one, I love L’Isola....bring $$$$ but the food is awesome and the experience/service never disappoints.

I agree with Lil' Rock. Really enjoyed it. Felt like an upscale La Gloriette and without the chic-y vibe of the other two neighbors.

I also agree with it's OK to do less. Our second day was lunch and dinner reservations and felt like putting 10 kg in a 5 kg bag (converted since I don't revert to American units until we cross into US airspace). From then on the restaurant beyond a reservation has been an on the spot decision.

Definitely l’rock. We had 3 toes in the sand lunches there. After renting chairs and umbrella from Jean Michele by Pearl we just didn’t feel like leaving the beach every day. Never traveled in July looking forward to your reports. Welcome to the forum.
Don’s Soley guitar was amazing!

We are fellow Hoosiers from Indpls. What part of the state are you from?
consider Bartolomeo and/or Sereno for lunch , dinner- ask for feet in sand and they have nice swim beaches and pools!

We are fellow Hoosiers from Indpls. What part of the state are you from?
consider Bartolomeo and/or Sereno for lunch , dinner- ask for feet in sand and they have nice swim beaches and pools!

I am actually from Florida, but went to school at IU! Thanks for so much of these responses. I will be sure to post my experiences and look forward to being an active member! We cant wait. It is my wife and I first trip since we had our first baby! and we cant wait to take on the beauty. I am a planner, so naturally filled in alot of the itienrary with just going to beaches, and restaurants..but I will have no issues just taking it day by day!!!

We only are here for 5 days, and have so many places to try!! We have room for 1 more dinner and we were looking at L' Isola and Orega. Also any good places for pizza for lunch or dinner?

For lunch, the only places which serve pizza are L'Isoletta (sister restaurant to L'Isola) in Gustavia, and Les Bananiers in Colombier. I think that Les Bananiers has the best pizza, but parking at lunchtime can be a bear. L'Ardoise in St Jean may serve pizza at lunch, but parking there is a bear too. For dinner, Les Bananiers for sure.

My suggestion would be to hike to Colombier Beach. Beautiful views and a wonderful beach. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy. Don’t forget water and sunscreen!
I think the island encourages one to slow down, relax, and enjoy the moment.

. . . consider Bartolomeo and/or Sereno for lunch . . . !
i think that Bartolomeo, if it reopens with the same name, won’t be available until Spring 2021. I’m a huge fan of Sereno, but many are put off by the fact that it’s very quiet there. In a five day visit, the hoosiercanes may want something more lively.