St Barts with a newborn! Any info?

We, too, swear by Elta MD. Have recommended it to many family members of various ages. Our dermatologist says it has the most effective and gentle ingredients. There is also a new sunscreen manufactured by the Harken company(which supplies gear for boats). Called Harken Derm, it was developed to meet the needs of sailors who are exposed to many hours of sun while on their boats. Don't know about its use for little children but might be worth checking.

adonovan10,

Thinking back, I remember we had no problem purchasing diapers (you’ll have to do the lb to kg conversion), but found no swim diapers. Bring those from home if you think you’ll use them.

Neat trick with swim diapers. We found there was often no mess in them for most occasions. So instead of tossing them, dry them in the sun and reuse. We discovered this quite by accident years ago when we traveled to St Barts when they were babies. Oh and most french babies go naked on the beach... from what we have seen.

Buy your sunscreen at the pharmacy. They have waaaay better sunscreen than in the US.

Other great tip, buy a car seat cover with strap and along with toting your car seat, fill it with extra items, Beach blanket, diapers, sun shade. There is always extra room in it. AND They don't count the car seat when they count your checked bags (that includes the hop from SXM to SBH). So all the extra stuff gets a free ride.

Also note, if your baby is on baby food. French baby food is a lot sweeter than many of the brands in US. They might not want to switch back. True story...

That’s really good to know! I’ll check that one out. I’ve found the children’s formulas to cause the worst reactions.