St Barts with a newborn! Any info?

adonovan10

My wife and I are headed to the island with our 6 month old son for the first week of June. Any recommendations for visiting St Barts with a new baby? This will be our third trip, but first with the baby. We love the island, the people and the beaches. Looking for any recommendations for restaurants that are baby friendly, but still have great food. Also any other tips from folks that have visited with infants. Thanks a bunch!

Drew

Welcome to the forum. I am sure suggestions will come from more recent new baby trippers.

We have visited with very young ones but not with a new born. Car seats are virtually unavailable so bring what you need even if you are told by the car rental company that they have them. if you have some kind of booster you like, bring it. Restaurants have them but not for new borns. We suggest quiet restaurants with secluded tables- Le Toiny at dinner has an area, Tamarin away from others is possible, La Langouste might move you away from others. Call each location you are interested in and explain- they will do their best to please you.

Welcome and congratulations on your newborn and upcoming trip. I’m sure you will be bringing a car seat on the plane so it can be used all the time on the island. Don’t bother with a booster not that you would bring one anyway. You can use the car seat in the restaurant. I don’t know if your wife is nursing but food for that young a child in a restaurant is a challenge. There is plenty of baby food in the food stores tho. If you bring your own baby food to the restaurant I would give them a heads up. Most restaurants open for dinner at 7.

Our daughter was five months old when we first brought her to the island. Our villa owner was wonderful. She provided a pack and play type crib, a small bathtub, mosquito netting, a beach tent, and other items.

We brought her car seat and a stroller that allowed us to attach the car seat so we could walk through the airports as well as through Gustavia and St. Jean. We did not use the car seat on the plane. She traveled as a “lap child,” and we utilized a harness that attached to one of our seatbelts for that purpose.

We purchased formula and baby food easily. As for our meals, we dined out for lunch more often than dinner, but did go for dinner occasionally and were warmly welcomed anywhere we went.

Two things you’ll definitely need: child friendly sunblock and mosquito repellent.

While your vacation will be different than it was before, it will be no less enjoyable. We’re about to return for our daughter’s eighth trip.

Theresa, I can hardly believe she is so grown up already! I have gotten to meet and play with many forum babies. I agree, the island welcomes them. Also true, the big guy is a baby magnet....

Theresa, I can hardly believe she is so grown up already! I have gotten to meet and play with many forum babies. I agree, the island welcomes them. Also true, the big guy is a baby magnet....

So true...I remember him meeting Noah for the first time. It was love at first sight, for both of them. :heart1:

I have advised my kids that it is illegal for children to go to St Barts. This has worked for a number of years as they did not want their father arrested. Now as they approach their 40's and mid thirties they smell the rat(actually they have known for years). They understood this was Jody' and my place, a special place which we discovered and did not want to share. They can come and go on their own to St Barts as they all can afford it, but we want it for ourselves when we go.
George & Jody

Theresa,

Thanks for the info. Lunch sounds like a great idea! We are planning our setup similar to what you suggest. Villa is providing equipment and we'll bring the carseat stroller combo.

Thanks again

adonovan10,

Thinking back, I remember we had no problem purchasing diapers (you’ll have to do the lb to kg conversion), but found no swim diapers. Bring those from home if you think you’ll use them.

Also, we utilized a catalogue called One Step Ahead to find full coverage swim suits, swim hats, and swim sun glasses to protect sensitive baby skin. That really made a difference. We also purchased a beach umbrella either at Hookipa surf shop in St. Jean or Tom Shop in Gustavia.

Our Villa owner also provided a high chair.

She and several other locals advised us that there was a second hand store in Anse des Cayes that had all things baby. We were well equipped but it was good to know we could likely find something else if necessary.

Enjoy your trip.

A small beach tent (with sides) and a beach blanket are great for newborns for sun protection, and to keep the sand down. We found the baby sunblocks caused rashes, so Vanicreme or La Roche-Posay were gentle. Mosquito nets for sure. We had a stroller with big wheels that worked on the beach. Perhaps they have rentals? We found this to be an easy age for traveling. Have fun!

We found the baby sunblocks caused rashes said:
Our daughter has, and has always had, incredibly sensitive skin. Her dermatologist recommended Elta MD sunblock. It is extremely effective and she had no reaction. It can be pricy, but Amazon offers competitive pricing. I use La Roche Posay myself and purchased the children's formula for her in the past. It works for a few days and then she develops a rash. Not so with Elta MD.